(Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach?

Dan Bylsma
3%
Marc Crawford
3%
Kevin Dineen
3%
Ken Hitchcock
2%
Mike Keenan
3%
Pierre McGuire
28%
Todd McLellan
3%
John Stevens
10%
Barry Trotz
24%
Other (Please Specify with a Write in Vote)
19%

Total votes: 58

mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Post by mathonwy »

I'd like to see a Trotz given a 2 year deal here.

Stevens is a good choice but I think Trotz is a better one because of how familiar Trotz is with the western conference. Trotz has been doing more with less against western conference powerhouses for a very long time. That, combined with his familiarity with going up against the Cali teams, makes him a pretty good choice in my books.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

mathonwy wrote:I'd like to see a Trotz given a 2 year deal here.

Stevens is a good choice but I think Trotz is a better one because of how familiar Trotz is with the western conference. Trotz has been doing more with less against western conference powerhouses for a very long time. That, combined with his familiarity with going up against the Cali teams, makes him a pretty good choice in my books.
I'd be okay with Trotz on a relatively short term but would be happier with Stevens at the helm for many of the same reasons as you mentioned about Trotz. IMHO, the one advantage of Trotz over Stevens is he's been a head coach longer. That said, Stevens has demonstrated that he can coach a more offensive style whereas Trotz pretty much coached the same style for the same team forever. Plus, Stevens has some familiarity with the eastern conference - even if it was a while ago.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Why does it matter what term is attached to the coaches contract?

If he's a problem he's gone! As we witnessed with Torts.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

If it came down to it, put yourself in the players shoes, would you want a coach whose flippin boring and bland (Stevens) or a strong vet coach whose entering his prime + can crack jokes once in awhile (Trotz)
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Do coaches even get two-year deals anymore?

Trotz can get way better financial security than that from someone else.

Anyway, if we go with a cartoonish troll behind the bench I guess we have fully embraced the Boston model.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

SKYO wrote:If it came down to it, put yourself in the players shoes, would you want a coach whose flippin boring and bland (Stevens) or a strong vet coach whose entering his prime + can crack jokes once in awhile (Trotz)
I don't know Skyo. After the drama queen they just had to endure for a year, "boring and bland" might be just what the doctor ordered.

I mean have you met the Sedins?
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Rumsfeld wrote:
SKYO wrote:If it came down to it, put yourself in the players shoes, would you want a coach whose flippin boring and bland (Stevens) or a strong vet coach whose entering his prime + can crack jokes once in awhile (Trotz)
I don't know Skyo. After the drama queen they just had to endure for a year, "boring and bland" might be just what the doctor ordered.

Never go bland and boring! (insert crappy gf joke).

In the end it sounds like Trotz will be the coach! as TL keeps mentioning experience yada yada :thumbs:

trotz:
“I really think that coaching now is like being a business leader; you've got to create an environment where people feel they have a voice. It's not the old days, where it was ‘my way or the highway.' Players are owners in the clubs now ... and my job is to get these 23 or 24 individual businesses to work together.”

Hard work has been a trademark of the Predators’ organization ever since. Trotz usually gets the most out of the players at his disposal, but he will dispute the widely held notion that his team perennially overachieves. His view is that there is no such thing as overachieving (“other than me marrying my wife,” he quips, sheepishly) because if you ultimately succeed at something, then the goal was always within your grasp.

“I just ask players to play to their potential, and that’s all,” Trotz said. “You want to put people in positions to succeed. What we’ve been able to do is look at a player and say, ‘what is your talent? What is your real talent?’

“Sometimes, there are certain guys that can’t do some things, so you accept them for what they can do and you try to push them closer to what you want them to do and then you try to put them with people that will help them do it.”
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

SKYO wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:

Never go bland and boring! (insert crappy gf joke).

In the end it sounds like Trotz will be the coach! as TL keeps mentioning experience yada yada :thumbs:

trotz:
“I really think that coaching now is like being a business leader; you've got to create an environment where people feel they have a voice. It's not the old days, where it was ‘my way or the highway.' Players are owners in the clubs now ... and my job is to get these 23 or 24 individual businesses to work together.”

Hard work has been a trademark of the Predators’ organization ever since. Trotz usually gets the most out of the players at his disposal, but he will dispute the widely held notion that his team perennially overachieves. His view is that there is no such thing as overachieving (“other than me marrying my wife,” he quips, sheepishly) because if you ultimately succeed at something, then the goal was always within your grasp.

“I just ask players to play to their potential, and that’s all,” Trotz said. “You want to put people in positions to succeed. What we’ve been able to do is look at a player and say, ‘what is your talent? What is your real talent?’

“Sometimes, there are certain guys that can’t do some things, so you accept them for what they can do and you try to push them closer to what you want them to do and then you try to put them with people that will help them do it.”
Nice quote Skyo.

This is what leadership is all about and what Torts had absolutely no clue about.

Yelling, pointing, shouting.... that shit doesn't work anymore.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Aaronp18 wrote:Why does it matter what term is attached to the coaches contract?

If he's a problem he's gone! As we witnessed with Torts.
Well... the term matters because it affects the timing of the strategy the coach / GM will be implementing.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

mathonwy wrote: Well... the term matters because it affects the timing of the strategy the coach / GM will be implementing.
So what strategy do you suspect would be implemented if a coach is signed to a two year contract?

And Rummy is right, who signs a two year contract anymore - a two year extension maybe but not a new deal with a new team. Especially someone like Trotz who will be a candidate for several of the coaching vacancies this year.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Aaronp18 wrote:
mathonwy wrote: Well... the term matters because it affects the timing of the strategy the coach / GM will be implementing.
So what strategy do you suspect would be implemented if a coach is signed to a two year contract?

And Rummy is right, who signs a two year contract anymore - a two year extension maybe but not a new deal with a new team. Especially someone like Trotz who will be a candidate for several of the coaching vacancies this year.
I'm not advocating for a 2 year deal as I just threw that number out.

http://www.otherleague.com/contracts/nh ... -salaries/

Looking at other contracts, it seems that 5 years is the average term.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

mathonwy wrote:I'm not advocating for a 2 year deal as I just threw that number out.

http://www.otherleague.com/contracts/nh ... -salaries/

Looking at other contracts, it seems that 5 years is the average term.
Glad to see you still have your head up your ass.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

With Barry Trotz out of the running, it looks like John Stevens is the next favourite candidate here @ the corner. :mex:
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

If I had to guess... I'm guessing Benning is going to go off the board on this one.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I don't think this will be Jim Bennings choice alone.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau