(Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach?

Dan Bylsma
3%
Marc Crawford
3%
Kevin Dineen
3%
Ken Hitchcock
2%
Mike Keenan
3%
Pierre McGuire
28%
Todd McLellan
3%
John Stevens
10%
Barry Trotz
24%
Other (Please Specify with a Write in Vote)
19%

Total votes: 58

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote:So Trotz and Desjardins appear the front-runners until we learn Bylsma's fate.

I admire Trotz' track record with Nashville but he says the same things all defensive coaches say.... that he plays a style which complements his roster and he can coach more offensively blah blah blah...

These kinds of coaches always revert to a super-defensive style when the going gets tough -- and I can assure you guys, the going will get tough this season.

The team isn't exactly an offensive dynamo is it?
Trotz will play as he has for the last decade... boring.

We're going to experience some growing pains if we go with a young team regardless of the style we play; for the sake of our kids and we the fans, let's play some fun, firewagon hockey!
Hmmmm....

Shitty team + firewagon hockey = the correct way to go.

Nice logic, you'd make a GREAT Leaf fan!! :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote: Looks like the Corner and its entire sock drawer select Barry Trotz as their new head coach.
:lol:

It's funny BECAUSE IT'S TRUE!!! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Strangelove wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:So Trotz and Desjardins appear the front-runners until we learn Bylsma's fate.

I admire Trotz' track record with Nashville but he says the same things all defensive coaches say.... that he plays a style which complements his roster and he can coach more offensively blah blah blah...

These kinds of coaches always revert to a super-defensive style when the going gets tough -- and I can assure you guys, the going will get tough this season.

The team isn't exactly an offensive dynamo is it?
Trotz will play as he has for the last decade... boring.

We're going to experience some growing pains if we go with a young team regardless of the style we play; for the sake of our kids and we the fans, let's play some fun, firewagon hockey!
Hmmmm....

Shitty team + firewagon hockey = the correct way to go.

Nice logic, you'd make a GREAT Leaf fan!! :mrgreen:
Well it didn't work for the Coilers.... butt it werkd for the Hawks!

Rite?
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote: Well it didn't work for the Coilers.... butt it werkd for the Hawks!

Rite?
Leave me alone, I'm trying to catch up on your thousand posts today! :crazy:
____
Try to focus on someday.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

-15 years h/c in Western Conference
-Experience building from dregs up
-Playoff experience: 6 of last 9 seasons - twice to Conference semi's
-Highly demanding+commands players respect = successful players coach
-Passionate/thoughtful/media savvy
-93/94 Calder winning h/c
-Western Canadian

#1 choice available since AV joined Rag$

Trotz :mex:
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

BladesofSteel wrote:-15 years h/c in Western Conference
-Western Canadian

So twice to the second round in nine years despite some very good teams and two of the best D-men in the game.

Is that a plus or a minus? :lol:

Not even ragging on Trotz here, just seems like something we'd have blasted AV for when viewing HIS resume...
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Rumsfeld wrote:
-Western Canadian

So twice to the second round in nine years despite some very good teams and two of the best D-men in the game.
:mex:

:roll:

Not even ragging on Trotz here, just seems like something we'd have blasted AV for when viewing HIS resume...
Trotz has never had an NHL roster that was even close to as talented as the Canucks from 2010-1013.

A pair of defensemen who are both among the best in the entire league, backed up by a top 3 goaltender, but with 12 forwards, none of them true top-3's, and 9 or 10 of who are all fringe 2nd liners, and 3-6 on the blueline who are probably 5-6's.....

Not a very good team.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Mëds wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:
-Western Canadian

Trotz has never had an NHL roster that was even close to as talented as the Canucks from 2010-1013.

A pair of defensemen who are both among the best in the entire league, backed up by a top 3 goaltender, but with 12 forwards, none of them true top-3's, and 9 or 10 of who are all fringe 2nd liners, and 3-6 on the blueline who are probably 5-6's.....

Not a very good team.
Hey Topper, why don't you tell your pet idiot to go check out the 06/07 Preds roster that finished with 110 points, led the Western Conference in goals, and won one playoff game.

Thanks.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Mëds wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote: So twice to the second round in nine years despite some very good teams and two of the best D-men in the game.

Not a very good team.
Hey Topper, why don't you tell your pet idiot to go check out the 06/07 Preds roster that finished with 110 points, led the Western Conference in goals, and won one playoff game.

Thanks.
One season doesn't really make your case, especially that team. But carry on.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Mëds wrote:One season doesn't really make your case, especially that team. But carry on.
It makes this statement, which you just made with such confidence accompanied by a shiteating eye-roll smiley
complete bullshit. Have the balls to admit when you're wrong, dunce cap.

If AV squeezed one win out of that stacked team and then got past the 1st round twice in nine years (in what was a shitty division most of that time) you'd fucking crucify him. :lol:
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Rumsfeld wrote:complete bullshit. Have the balls to admit when you're wrong, dunce cap.

If AV squeezed one win out of that stacked team and then got past the 1st round twice in nine years (in what was a shitty division most of that time) you'd fucking crucify him. :lol:

Really not sure how I feel about Trotz...

He's supposedly been in talks regarding the Washington gig, but they're battling with the same concerns the Canucks probably would be - questions about low goal scoring.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2065 ... n-capitals

I do not like this: Nashville finished in the bottom half of the league in goal scoring in 11 of the 15 seasons that Trotz coached in Nashville.

I do like his quote regarding the situation though:
I think I’m very adaptable. When we had Paul Kariya for a couple years and we were a little deeper at forward we were a pretty high scoring team. You need balance and if you have dynamic people – I’ve always tried to assess the talent and say ‘Okay, how can we get better as a group and how can we win hockey games?’ I’ve played a number of different systems based on our personnel but I like the personnel to dictate the strength. In Nashville, our strength was in net and defense. So our team would take the personality of the top players and that was most often on the back end.
Most coaches fall back to defense when the going gets tough... Alain Vigneault was the same way, but he did prove he was adaptable when given a more offensive roster.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Yeah BB, I definitely think he's a good coach. Doubt anyone would dispute that.

I just have doubts whether he's the right coach for us right now. I've seen enough shutdown hockey the past three seasons.

One thing's for sure, he's a helluva lot better an option than Torts was last year. Wasn't Mëds super-stoked on Torts?

LOL Torts.

Hey, the fact Trotz' team did lead the Conference in scoring when he had lots of skill up front is a promising thing for sure.
Duncecap wrote:One season doesn't really make your case, especially that team.
You just flat-out don't remember the 2007 season, do you Mëds.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I've hated Trotz since he called the league on Bert's push off move.

No neck troll belongs under a bridge.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Mëds wrote:One season doesn't really make your case, especially that team. But carry on.
It makes this statement, which you just made with such confidence accompanied by a shiteating eye-roll smiley
complete bullshit. Have the balls to admit when you're wrong, dunce cap.

Nope. Sorry. Paul Kariya was a super talent, for sure, and still playing like one that year. However,the Canucks teams from 2010-1013 were more talented than that team in Nashville. The Nashville team was probably better than a single playoff win, but the results of that first round match-up against the Sharks would seem to indicate otherwise.

Sullivan didn't even suit up for the playoffs that year. Legwand had a career year and never again reached that level of production. Erat only dressed for 3 games in the playoffs. Forsberg was already playing through his nagging foot problems and would only go on to play 11 more career games after that season. So who put this team over the top compared to the 2010-2013 Canucks? Dumont? Hartnell? Yeah.....sure..... :mex:

As for AV, I believe I was actually calling for his head as we coasted down the stretch in 2012 where we were then dumped by the Kings in 5 games (1 playoff win). I called for his head throughout the 2013 season when the team ended up getting swept by the Sharks. What's your point?

Look at the Preds team before and after 2006-07. World beaters there. :roll:

Look at the Nashville team that we bounced in 6 games in 2011. Riding a top goaltender and overachieving on every other front.

Go look at EVERY OTHER roster that Nashville has iced from the time they came into the league, Trotz has been the coach for all of them. Before and after that 2006-07 roster Trotz's GM provided rosters that were absolute crap.

You named ONE year that Trotz had what was a decent team. One. And that team was still not as talented as the team that Vigneault coached between 2010 and 2013.

All of that pretty much backs up my statement of.....
Mëds wrote: Trotz has never had an NHL roster that was even close to as talented as the Canucks from 2010-1013.
And I would say that makes your statement.....
Rummy wrote: So twice to the second round in nine years despite some very good teams and two of the best D-men in the game.
...complete bullshit. Have the balls to admit when you're wrong, dunce cap.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

BurningBeard wrote: I do not like this: Nashville finished in the bottom half of the league in goal scoring in 11 of the 15 seasons that Trotz coached in Nashville.
Go look at the roster every year since Nashville entered the league. Beyond Kariya, the oft injured Sullivan, and a hobbled Forsberg for a handful of games, they have never had much in the way of top tier offensive talent.
Rumsfeld wrote:Yeah BB, I definitely think he's a good coach. Doubt anyone would dispute that.

I just have doubts whether he's the right coach for us right now. I've seen enough shutdown hockey the past three seasons.
I would like to be able to see the way his Calder winning team played in the AHL. That Nashville NHL Legend team of 2006-07 that you are lauding was 5th overall in GPG that year, so apparently he can coach a team that puts pucks in the net.
Rummy wrote: One thing's for sure, he's a helluva lot better an option than Torts was last year. Wasn't Mëds super-stoked on Torts?

LOL Torts.
Yep. I was. The team had been flat and stale since they floundered their way into the top seed of the 2012 playoffs, Vigneault had given too much of the room over to the players and there was no way for him to take it back.....who knows if he even tried. The thought was that Torts could come in and crack the whip and give them a reset, as it were. Oh well, at least the page got turned quickly.
Dummy wrote: Hey, the fact Trotz' team did lead the Conference in scoring when he had lots of skill up front is a promising thing for sure.
Duncecap wrote:One season doesn't really make your case, especially that team.
You just flat-out don't remember the 2007 season, do you Mëds.
Do you mean the 2006-2007 season where Colorado was tops in the Western Conference in the goals scored category?

Or maybe you mean the 2007-08 season when Dallas held that honor.....

I'll assume you mean the 2006-07 season, because that was the closes that Nashville came to leading the conference in scoring. Regardless, it is impressive that Trotz's team did do so well offensively considering they really didn't have many top forwards behind Kariya. They scored a pile of goals by committee. Nobody hit 30 goals, but 6 players notched 20+. They played a really good team system where everyone contributed. Coaching generally has a lot to do with that.