(Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach?

Dan Bylsma
2
3%
Marc Crawford
2
3%
Kevin Dineen
2
3%
Ken Hitchcock
1
2%
Mike Keenan
2
3%
Pierre McGuire
16
28%
Todd McLellan
2
3%
John Stevens
6
10%
Barry Trotz
14
24%
Other (Please Specify with a Write in Vote)
11
19%
 
Total votes : 58

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Postby sagebrush » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:03 pm

Jovocop wrote:
Kevin Weekes ‏@KevinWeekes
Hearing from sources involved that @TheAHL Calder Cup Champ Coach Willie Desjardins has chosen the @VanCanucks Job w multi-yr deal

Image
User avatar
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 805
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:36 pm

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Postby Jovocop » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:04 pm

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Nothing signed yet, but Willie Desjardins will be in VAN this weekend. Assuming all goes as expected, he'll be introduced as coach next wk.
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1736
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Postby ClamRussel » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:11 pm

Jovocop wrote:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Nothing signed yet, but Willie Desjardins will be in VAN this weekend. Assuming all goes as expected, he'll be introduced as coach next wk.

Take that Dreger!
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Postby herb » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:16 pm

Hard not to like Desjardins given the scuttlebut around the league.

This off season is going just swimmingly thus far. I'm liking the Western Canadian connection being built.

Linden (Medicine Hat)
Benning (Edmonton)
Desjardins (Climax - heh -, Sask)
Gulutzan (The Pas, MB)
Lidster (Kamloops)

I'm assuming Willie would want Lidster to come along.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2148
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Postby ClamRussel » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:20 pm

The way it should be herb!

Sounds like the Pens are dumbfounded over this. Of note, their interview w/ Willie was only over the phone. Wonder who's idea that was.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/willie-desjardins-vancouver-canucks-head-coach/
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Postby SKYO » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:35 pm

ClamRussel wrote:Sounds like the Pens are dumbfounded over this.


Team and league sources said Rutherford spent Thursday night and Friday morning meeting with Willie Desjardins, a minor-league coach with only two years of experience as an NHL assistant.

Topics discussed included assistant coaches, contract length and Desjardin's possible salary, the sources said.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/6319254-74/rutherford-coach-nhl#ixzz35D3QDEQd


Pens are a rich team so money is not a factor, so the Canucks offered more term and maybe JB/TL said WD can hire his own assistant coach.

On top of the westcoast/linden connection.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3445
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Postby Hank » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:47 pm

SKYO wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:Sounds like the Pens are dumbfounded over this.


Team and league sources said Rutherford spent Thursday night and Friday morning meeting with Willie Desjardins, a minor-league coach with only two years of experience as an NHL assistant.

Topics discussed included assistant coaches, contract length and Desjardin's possible salary, the sources said.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/6319254-74/rutherford-coach-nhl#ixzz35D3QDEQd


Pens are a rich team so money is not a factor, so the Canucks offered more term and maybe JB/TL said WD can hire his own assistant coach.

On top of the westcoast/linden connection.


If that is your #1 candidate, you fly the guy in and sit him down. You don't do it over the phone.

Sounded like term was also an issue. I don't think any coach coming in is going to want to be filler for only a couple of years until their real target Babcock is available.
Hank
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 pm

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Postby Hockey Widow » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:02 pm

Who wouldn't want to live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world, compared to say, Pittsburg?

He also gets that coveted Canadian market experience and a chance to build something special along side a new prez and new GM. And if Pittsburg really coveted him they would have given term, if not then already Rutherford has blown it. Going back to his list and adding a few names of candidates that for whatever reason weren't on the first list. Lest not be so sullen already.

Good news for us, a hockey God favour. Love it when a plan comes together and the eastern media eats shit.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3910
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Postby Rumsfeld » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:06 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Who wouldn't want to live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world, compared to say, Pittsburg?


Have you gone outside this month?

This city fucking sucks unless you're old or Chinese and therefore hate the sun.

Yeah, Rummy needs some beach time. :evil:
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2632
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Pissed in the Canyon

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Postby Betamax » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:56 pm

Betamax wrote:
Meds wrote:Yeah, who would you rather coach.....Crosby and Malkin, or Henrik and Daniel?

Hell, even the teams are a no-brainer. Come to Vancouver, get ridiculed and second guessed at every turn by our media hyenas and fans, be the boss of a team that is declining and ready to trade some key pieces, have the honor of choosing which backup goalie to start every game.....


Well, what if the Canucks offered him more money and term [if that's the guy they really want], could that be the deciding factor? :mex:


As per Matt Sekeres: https://twitter.com/mattsekeres/status/ ... 0945636352

Matthew Sekeres ‏@mattsekeres

Was just told Desjardins spurned #Pens b/c offer was for 2 years only, no authority to hire own assts. Now expected to be hired by #Canucks

3:53 PM - 20 Jun 2014


:mex:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Postby ClamRussel » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:46 pm

Betamax wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Meds wrote:Yeah, who would you rather coach.....Crosby and Malkin, or Henrik and Daniel?

Hell, even the teams are a no-brainer. Come to Vancouver, get ridiculed and second guessed at every turn by our media hyenas and fans, be the boss of a team that is declining and ready to trade some key pieces, have the honor of choosing which backup goalie to start every game.....


Well, what if the Canucks offered him more money and term [if that's the guy they really want], could that be the deciding factor? :mex:


As per Matt Sekeres: https://twitter.com/mattsekeres/status/ ... 0945636352

Matthew Sekeres ‏@mattsekeres

Was just told Desjardins spurned #Pens b/c offer was for 2 years only, no authority to hire own assts. Now expected to be hired by #Canucks

3:53 PM - 20 Jun 2014

:mex:

Sounds time like Pitt tried to make him their bitch and it blew up in their face.
Rutherford miscalculated, thinking this minor leaguer would snap up any offer for a shot at the bigs w/ a couple allstar centers. Oops.
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Postby sagebrush » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:22 pm

PuckDaddy-Penguins:
...this public rejection is jarring. Jim Rutherford is hired as general manager, and in his first independent act – Bylsma was fired by ownership, remember – he has to admit that the best man for the job didn’t want the job. This sort of thing might fly in Raleigh, but an AHL coach just turned down the chance to coach Sidney Crosby on a team that went to Game 7 of the conference semifinals.
:drink:
User avatar
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 805
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:36 pm

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Postby Todd Bersnoozi » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:28 pm

Hank wrote:John Stevens promoted to Kings associate head coach.


Guess we should of grabbed up Stevens instead last year. Oh well, at least we get Willie. :P
User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1250
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Postby Hank » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:50 am

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Hank wrote:John Stevens promoted to Kings associate head coach.


Guess we should of grabbed up Stevens instead last year. Oh well, at least we get Willie. :P


In an alternate universe, John Stevens would have been hired, the team wouldn't have had all those injuries to top players, barely make the playoffs and be out in the first round... and Gillis would still be the GM today.

No, I'm pretty glad things are working out the way they are now.
Hank
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 pm

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Postby Meds » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:11 pm

ClamRussel wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Meds wrote:Yeah, who would you rather coach.....Crosby and Malkin, or Henrik and Daniel?

Hell, even the teams are a no-brainer. Come to Vancouver, get ridiculed and second guessed at every turn by our media hyenas and fans, be the boss of a team that is declining and ready to trade some key pieces, have the honor of choosing which backup goalie to start every game.....


Well, what if the Canucks offered him more money and term [if that's the guy they really want], could that be the deciding factor? :mex:


Sounds time like Pitt tried to make him their bitch and it blew up in their face.
Rutherford miscalculated, thinking this minor leaguer would snap up any offer for a shot at the bigs w/ a couple allstar centers. Oops.


Never been so happy to aSSume wrongly.

I like that WD has won a championship at every level he's coached at, not just lucking out with a one-off roster.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3324
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Previous

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Raile and 2 guests