(Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Locked

Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach?

Dan Bylsma
2
3%
Marc Crawford
2
3%
Kevin Dineen
2
3%
Ken Hitchcock
1
2%
Mike Keenan
2
3%
Pierre McGuire
16
28%
Todd McLellan
2
3%
John Stevens
6
10%
Barry Trotz
14
24%
Other (Please Specify with a Write in Vote)
11
19%
 
Total votes: 58

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8336
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Post by Island Nucklehead » Wed May 21, 2014 5:21 pm

Who really gives a fuck about how good Nashville was compared to the Canucks when Trotz was the coach? There wasn't many teams in the league as good as Vancouver over that stretch, and Nashville and Vancouver are such different franchises. Trotz never took his team deep in the playoffs, but that team consistently punched above their weight. They always have one of the lowest payrolls in hockey.

2013-14: 23rd in salary. 19th in Standings.
2012-13: 26th in salary. 27th in Standings.
2011-12: 24th in salary. 5th in standings. (Second Round).
2010-11: 21st in salary. 10th in standings. (Second Round).
2009-10: 28th in salary. 10th in Standings. (First Round).
2008-09: 23rd in salary. 20th in standings.
2007-08: 28th in salary. 17th in standings. (First Round).

I find that pretty impressive, that a team with such a low payroll, can be competitive against teams that spend much much more on players. Only once did they finish lower in the standings vs. their spending. Trotz deserves a lot of credit for that. I imagine that team could have been better had they been able to retain some of their free agents (Suter, Timonen, Hartnell, Hamhuis come to mind) or had some money to sign a real UFA or two.

In case you're wondering, the Canucks were 2nd in spending in 09/10 (5th in standings), 2nd in 10/11 (1st), 3rd in 11/12 (1st), 2nd in 12/13 (8th), 18th in 13/14 (25th).

I'm not sold on Trotz being a good fit with the Canucks. Vigneault deployed a stifling style before Gillis showed up, but he had Roberto Luongo. Trotz has had the double-bonus of Weber and Rinne backstopping his team. I don't see the Canucks being a very stifling team with Lack/Marstrom between the pipes. There's probably worse coaches, and there's probably better.

Personally, I'd be looking at Winterhawks coach Mike Johnston. See if he can't get this youth movement started off with a bang and develop some of our younger forwards.

User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 6543
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Post by Meds » Wed May 21, 2014 6:20 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:
Meds wrote:Trotz has never had an NHL roster that was even close to as talented as the Canucks from 2010-1013.
I'm scrambling when this all started over your statement (quoted above), which was clearly made before you had any clue how good the 2007 Preds were. :lol:

You were proven wrong and, as usual, resorted to unintelligible 500-word posts that had nothing to do with my initial point. Because you're an insecure little chickenshit who can't admit when he's wrong. Which is all the fucking time.

That, my fat little friend, is the definition of "scrambling".

Or did you know that the Preds had the 3rd-best record in the league and 110 points BEFORE I pointed it out? And you still made that irrational statement (quoted above)?

Is that what you're saying here Meds? You knew it all along? :lol:

Sure ya did Meds.

My mistake was bothering to try and engage you in an honest discussion. I remember good 'ole Potato saying the same thing... there's no point with you Meds. Instead of simply acknowledging something of which you clearly were not aware, you just spent two pages arguing over 1 shootout goal. Nice. :lol:
Honest answer for you is that, yes, I had forgotten about that year for them. That should have been obvious by my reply.....
Meds wrote: A pair of defensemen who are both among the best in the entire league, backed up by a top 3 goaltender, but with 12 forwards, none of them true top-3's, and 9 or 10 of who are all fringe 2nd liners, and 3-6 on the blueline who are probably 5-6's.....
.....Kariya, Forsberg, Sullivan, and Arnott were all top-6 forwards. So clearly my argument didn't take that year into account. And I never claimed to have remembered that year. I just simply think that despite their record and roster that season, the Canucks in the 3 seasons I mentioned were a more talented collection of players.

But the team record wasn't even in play with my initial replay.....you brought that up because you just didn't like the fact that you claimed something about Trotz having some very good teams (plural) and after you countered my initial reply with an insulting dismissal.....
Rummy wrote: Hey Topper, why don't you tell your pet idiot to go check out the 06/07 Preds roster that finished with 110 points, led the Western Conference in goals, and won one playoff game.

Thanks.

After that I just responded in kind by calling you on the trivial matter of claiming multiple teams and only having a single season to back that up with and dismissed it as whatever.

You didn't like that at all.....you never like it when someone catches you with anything, but something trivial like that.....and especially coming from me.....well you couldn't handle that. You had to get all tough and pissed off and call bullshit where there really was none to call, other than your own that is. But I figured, why not just troll Rummy a little bit, he loves doing that to everyone else. So when you decided to say that Nashville had finished tops in the West in GF I checked the team stats and saw differently, so I called BS. You looked at the standings and didn't even consider the other side of things. Even when I pointed out the obvious disparity between the stats and the standings that count shootout goals. You just had your reputation to maintain, so you went off like a shark who thinks he smells blood in the water, but really the only bleeding is between his own ears.

It's ok though, I get that your identity here is important to you, that you just can't handle it when someone gives you a dose of your own medicine, but that's when you get so scrambled and why you froth at the mouth like you think it will mean something to someone, or maybe you think it's intimidating.....who knows.

Regardless, thanks for coming out to play in the sandbox. Sorry you got stuck in the corner with the buried cat shit today, take a deep breath man, tomorrow might be a better day.

Thomas K-thair
AHL Prospect
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 4:53 pm

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Post by Thomas K-thair » Wed May 21, 2014 6:42 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:

That, my fat little friend, is the definition of "scrambling".

Meds is a 6ft 9 paramedic in Whitehorse. He is not fat or little.

User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2401
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Wed May 21, 2014 6:54 pm

Meds wrote:
You didn't like that at all.....you never like it when someone catches you with anything, but something trivial like that.....and especially coming from me.....well you couldn't handle that. You had to get all tough and pissed off and call bullshit where there really was none to call, other than your own that is. But I figured, why not just troll Rummy a little bit, he loves doing that to everyone else.

You just had your reputation to maintain, so you went off like a shark who thinks he smells blood in the water, but really the only bleeding is between his own ears.

It's ok though, I get that your identity here is important to you, that you just can't handle it when someone gives you a dose of your own medicine, but that's when you get so scrambled and why you froth at the mouth like you think it will mean something to someone, or maybe you think it's intimidating.....who knows.

Regardless, thanks for coming out to play in the sandbox. Sorry you got stuck in the corner with the buried cat shit today, take a deep breath man, tomorrow might be a better day.

:lol:

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Post by Betamax » Wed May 21, 2014 6:59 pm

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Meds wrote:
You didn't like that at all.....you never like it when someone catches you with anything, but something trivial like that.....and especially coming from me.....well you couldn't handle that. You had to get all tough and pissed off and call bullshit where there really was none to call, other than your own that is. But I figured, why not just troll Rummy a little bit, he loves doing that to everyone else.

You just had your reputation to maintain, so you went off like a shark who thinks he smells blood in the water, but really the only bleeding is between his own ears.

It's ok though, I get that your identity here is important to you, that you just can't handle it when someone gives you a dose of your own medicine, but that's when you get so scrambled and why you froth at the mouth like you think it will mean something to someone, or maybe you think it's intimidating.....who knows.

Regardless, thanks for coming out to play in the sandbox. Sorry you got stuck in the corner with the buried cat shit today, take a deep breath man, tomorrow might be a better day.

:lol:
As once stated by the one and only, Mr. King, "Can we all get along?"

WE ARE ALL CANUCKS, right? :mex:

User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 6543
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Post by Meds » Wed May 21, 2014 7:51 pm

Thomas K-thair wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:

That, my fat little friend, is the definition of "scrambling".

Meds is a 6ft 9 paramedic in Whitehorse. He is not fat or little.
Well.....6' 6".....but who's counting really.....

I am a bit pudgy these days though. :(

User avatar
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:56 pm

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Post by Art Vandelay » Wed May 21, 2014 8:11 pm

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Meds wrote:
You didn't like that at all.....you never like it when someone catches you with anything, but something trivial like that.....and especially coming from me.....well you couldn't handle that. You had to get all tough and pissed off and call bullshit where there really was none to call, other than your own that is. But I figured, why not just troll Rummy a little bit, he loves doing that to everyone else.

You just had your reputation to maintain, so you went off like a shark who thinks he smells blood in the water, but really the only bleeding is between his own ears.

It's ok though, I get that your identity here is important to you, that you just can't handle it when someone gives you a dose of your own medicine, but that's when you get so scrambled and why you froth at the mouth like you think it will mean something to someone, or maybe you think it's intimidating.....who knows.

Regardless, thanks for coming out to play in the sandbox. Sorry you got stuck in the corner with the buried cat shit today, take a deep breath man, tomorrow might be a better day.

:lol:

Just curious why does this response really deserve a :lol: ? Are you a big fan of Bill Cosby ? I guess Potsie weber was a big hit in the Bersnoozi household growing up. :roll:

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 20401
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Post by Strangelove » Wed May 21, 2014 8:28 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote: Trotz never took his team deep in the playoffs, but that team consistently punched above their weight.

2013-14: 23rd in salary. 19th in Standings.
2012-13: 26th in salary. 27th in Standings.
2011-12: 24th in salary. 5th in standings. (Second Round).
2010-11: 21st in salary. 10th in standings. (Second Round).
2009-10: 28th in salary. 10th in Standings. (First Round).
2008-09: 23rd in salary. 20th in standings.
2007-08: 28th in salary. 17th in standings. (First Round).

I find that pretty impressive, that a team with such a low payroll, can be competitive against teams that spend much much more on players. Only once did they finish lower in the standings vs. their spending. Trotz deserves a lot of credit for that.
Nah, I think David Poile has gotta get 95% of the credit for dat dere.

Look more closely at those FOUR seasons they significantly "punched above their weight".

You'll find that their best players were vastly underpaid.

Weber (the Franchise), Suter, Hamhuis, Rinne, Arnott.

Trotz was coaching a squad that ended up right about where they should have in the standings imesho.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 20401
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Post by Strangelove » Wed May 21, 2014 8:39 pm

Meds wrote:
Rummy wrote: Hey Topper, why don't you tell your pet idiot to go check out the 06/07 Preds roster that finished with 110 points, led the Western Conference in goals, and won one playoff game.

Thanks.
After that I just responded in kind by calling you on the trivial matter of claiming multiple teams and only having a single season to back that up with and dismissed it as whatever.

You didn't like that at all.....you never like it when someone catches you with anything, but something trivial like that.....and especially coming from me.....well you couldn't handle that. You had to get all tough and pissed off and call bullshit where there really was none to call, other than your own that is. But I figured, why not just troll Rummy a little bit, he loves doing that to everyone else. So when you decided to say that Nashville had finished tops in the West in GF I checked the team stats and saw differently, so I called BS. You looked at the standings and didn't even consider the other side of things. Even when I pointed out the obvious disparity between the stats and the standings that count shootout goals. You just had your reputation to maintain, so you went off like a shark who thinks he smells blood in the water, but really the only bleeding is between his own ears.

It's ok though, I get that your identity here is important to you, that you just can't handle it when someone gives you a dose of your own medicine, but that's when you get so scrambled and why you froth at the mouth like you think it will mean something to someone, or maybe you think it's intimidating.....who knows.

Regardless, thanks for coming out to play in the sandbox. Sorry you got stuck in the corner with the buried cat shit today, take a deep breath man, tomorrow might be a better day.
Not to stick my nose in where it's not wanted BUT...

I don't think Rummy cares any more about his "identity here" than you do.

I think you BOTH ended up coated with some "cat shit".

REALLY fucking hard conversation to follow guys!

Rummy started off by saying Trotz is a good coach, but perhaps overrated (and too defensive-minded).

I'm not sure what YOU started off saying.

But the "debate" ended up like that train scene from The Fugitive from where I sit.

Or perhaps someone could sum it up better than yours truly?? :?

SINCERELY,

CONFUSED IN ABBOTSFORD
Last edited by Strangelove on Wed May 21, 2014 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 20401
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Post by Strangelove » Wed May 21, 2014 8:43 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: :lol:
Just curious why does this response really deserve a :lol: ? Are you a big fan of Bill Cosby ? I guess Potsie weber was a big hit in the Bersnoozi household growing up. :roll:
Agreed, the question must be asked: Todd do you where a helmet 24/7?
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Legend
Posts: 4182
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Raqqa

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Post by Rumsfeld » Wed May 21, 2014 11:15 pm

I don't know why Meds is so upset but he's really wearing his heart on his sleeve tonight and I respect that. Good for you Meds. :thumbs:

So I take from your tearful confession that the crux of what bothered you was that I said Trotz had some good teamS in Nashville. You were apparently unaware they had any good teams but then started yelling about how they had only ONE good team (this is before I showed you they had ANY, of which you were admittedly unaware, but I digress).
After that I just responded in kind by calling you on the trivial matter of claiming multiple teams and only having a single season to back that up with and dismissed it as whatever.
OK, now we're getting somewhere. I deciphered a point from your post.

This is progress Medster!

If I'd known what you were ranting about I'd have simply pointed out that the 2005/06 Predators finished the season with 106 points!

Did you know that beats the BEST EVER Canuck season prior to 2011?

So they had TWO (plural) very good teams Meds! 216 points in 2 seasons! Those two teams' records would rank 3rd and 4th respectively all time in the entire history of our franchise. Only our Presidents' Trophy winning teams had more regular season success.

So you see, you kinda didn't really have a point in the first place Meds.

Especially since I made it clear right from the beginning that I wasn't disparaging Trotzter as a coach, I just don't think we should point to his playoff record as a positive on his resume when both of his top teams lost to the choke artist Sharks and he never made it past the second round.

Anyway, Phew! I'm glad that's settled. :mex:
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society

User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
Posts: 3992
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Post by ClamRussel » Wed May 21, 2014 11:42 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:If I'd known what you were ranting about I'd have simply pointed out that the 2005/06 Predators finished the season with 106 points!

Did you know that beats the BEST EVER Canuck season prior to 2011?
Ok, I'm calling BS on this. The Canucks had 3 hundred+ pt seasons prior to the loser point being introduced. You can't compare total pts before & after as an indication of success as if they're the same criteria. Off to the sin bin w/ ya.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy

User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2401
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Thu May 22, 2014 12:23 am

Art Vandelay wrote:Just curious why does this response really deserve a :lol: ? Are you a big fan of Bill Cosby ? I guess Potsie weber was a big hit in the Bersnoozi household growing up. :roll:
Beta got it, guess u didn't. :lol:

Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 816
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:30 am

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Post by Boston Canucker » Thu May 22, 2014 9:05 am

I'd like to see the choice as John Stevens. He's had an HC job with Flyers, to Conf Final, and clearly successful with Kings. I think he's reading for his second shot at HC. Linden said they'd announce coach in a couple months, so I could imagine he wants to leave time to talk to Stevens. Maybe Stevens as HC with Gully and Desjardins as asst coaches.

User avatar
Reefer2
MVP
MVP
Posts: 4683
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: (Poll) Who do you want to be the Canucks next Head Coach

Post by Reefer2 » Thu May 22, 2014 9:06 am

Thomas K-thair wrote:
Meds is a 6ft 9 paramedic in Whitehorse. He is not fat or little.
Really???

Holy cow, Meds I am sorry I ever wronged you.

Prior to hiring any coach Benning needs to speak with him on his style and not worry about a home run this season. Have a method you want to have your team play and then a) get a coach who plays that way and b) have the players than can do it.

There it is, something so simple and easy, Bob is your uncle and Alice is your aunt.

JT has once method of coaching and I am not sure the Canucks had the right mix of players to do what he wanted. That is why he failed here.

Locked