Torts Tossed

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Torts Tossed

Post by Strangelove »

Mondi wrote: There is no f-ing way that Henrik is losing the C.

The guy is the franchise leader in points, assists, Hart trophies, Art Ross trophies (tied)...etc.

The idea that because the team had one bad season and therefore the entire team is worthless is so stupid (not saying that's your point of view).

The Aqua family seems to have that semi-nuclear reaction each time the team misses the playoffs.
Mondi wrote: That said, one bad year does not necessarily indicate scorched earth policy. A new GM, new coach, a draft and some trades have been or will be done...beyond that we don't have to start stripping the most decorated player in Canucks history of his well-earned captaincy.

The likely scenario going forward is a GM hire, followed by a coach, followed by the draft, followed by UFA. Followed by hopefully a long period of no Canuck news.

And even if the team is bad next year, it's not the end of the world nor does it mean they will be good the following year. Think about how its gone for Calgary, Edmonton, Florida...etc over the last 6-8 years.

Mondi wrote: 2010-2012 was a process started in 1999-2000...even if 2003 was another potential peak year.
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:Interestingly, on a radio talk show he was asked about Kesler. His response was yes, Kesler does have a few issues/concerns that are actively being discussed and looked at. I wonder if Torts and Sullivan were two of those concerns.
wow craziness, wonder if the philanderer rumours are true.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Mondi wrote:There is no f-ing way that Henrik is losing the C.

The guy is the franchise leader in points, assists, Hart trophies, Art Ross trophies (tied)...etc.

The idea that because the team had one bad season and therefore the entire team is worthless is so stupid (not saying that's your point of view).

The Aqua family seems to have that semi-nuclear reaction each time the team misses the playoffs.

That said, one bad year does not necessarily indicate scorched earth policy. A new GM, new coach, a draft and some trades have been or will be done...beyond that we don't have to start stripping the most decorated player in Canucks history of his well-earned captaincy.

The likely scenario going forward is a GM hire, followed by a coach, followed by the draft, followed by UFA. Followed by hopefully a long period of no Canuck news.
I honestly don't know what the answer is and you make a very good arguement Mondi. All that seems to be indicated at the moment is that LInden and the Aqua family are embracing change. I just wonder if change is confined only to "management" or if we will see a major shake up on the player side of things too. Trades are inevitable but others here have commented in the past that Torts had been brought in to break the "country-club" feel in the dressing room. I think its safe to say he failed... so I wonder what the next move is. I like Henrick a lot too and acknowledge he has done some amazing things... but he has also captained a team with diminished desire, scrappiness and emotional depth since 2011.

Your scenario I think is the likely scenario... but who knows how pissed Aquaman is and realistically, Linden is an agent of change; who knows where he will draw the line on that mandate.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Interestingly, on a radio talk show he was asked about Kesler. His response was yes, Kesler does have a few issues/concerns that are actively being discussed and looked at. I wonder if Torts and Sullivan were two of those concerns.

I didn't mean he had those type concerns. I meant Kesler has expressed a few concerns and those concerns are being looked at. I know his biggest concern is winning. I know he has expressed dissatisfaction since 2011 with the direction the team is heading. I think he is open to a move if he feels the team is not doing enough to get the team back to being a contender now. He has no desire, like Bieksa does, with going down with the ship. He wants to win now and be on a team that is positioned to contend.

I think that is what Trevor was alluding to. Kesler has expressed concerns and Trevor is evaluating that. Part of that evaluation will undoubtably be whether it is in the best interest of the franchise to keep Kesler or move him now. Kesler will only extend here if he feels we are back in that "elite" status.
The only HW the Canucks need
kelowna kanuck
CC Veteran

Post by kelowna kanuck »

"I have not gotten any pushback on timing from a playoff standpoint.." Trevor Linden May 1,2014
My money is on Benning.
more cap space!
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

kelowna kanuck wrote:"I have not gotten any pushback on timing from a playoff standpoint.." Trevor Linden May 1,2014
My money is on Benning.
Well, the Real Brook Ward is doing some damage on twitter and mentioned this ...

via: https://twitter.com/realbrookward/statu ... 4652025858
Brook Ward ‏@realbrookward

Lots of Canuck coaching posso's but, as previously mentioned, I hear Mike Babcock's on thin ice in Detroit. Might be worth the wait.
5:51 PM - 1 May 2014
A Benning & Babcock combo would be like a hybrid between the Bruins/Detroit model. :D

I think the chances of the Red Wings canning Babcock is less than 1% however. 8-)
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Mëds wrote:Bring in Barry!!!!
I forgot to include this Barry ...

:D
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote:
SKYO wrote:

I didn't mean he had those type concerns. I meant Kesler has expressed a few concerns and those concerns are being looked at. I know his biggest concern is winning. I know he has expressed dissatisfaction since 2011 with the direction the team is heading. I think he is open to a move if he feels the team is not doing enough to get the team back to being a contender now. He has no desire, like Bieksa does, with going down with the ship. He wants to win now and be on a team that is positioned to contend.

I think that is what Trevor was alluding to. Kesler has expressed concerns and Trevor is evaluating that. Part of that evaluation will undoubtably be whether it is in the best interest of the franchise to keep Kesler or move him now. Kesler will only extend here if he feels we are back in that "elite" status.
I think you are right, and I think Kesler is gone for that reason. How do you convince him that the team will be a playoff contender again? They were a gong show last year and might make the playoffs next year but does anybody realistically see them as even a dark horse contender?

Time to move on from Kes just like they did from Torts. Will get a very nice return for him if he's traded.
Thomas K-thair
AHL Prospect

Post by Thomas K-thair »

Betamax wrote:
Mëds wrote:Bring in Barry!!!!
I forgot to include this Barry ...

:D

Sure his last appearance in Tampa worked out so well. How bout a team of Mcguire and Melrose eh Betamax ?

What say you ?
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Why would Babcock be on thin ice? He just took a team decimated by injuries and full of rookies to the playoffs. I don't think any coach would have beaten the Bruins in that scenario. The Red Wings obviously turned it into a development year and it turned out better than expected.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Detroit has away of rewarding good people, not firing them. Nothing would surprise me but I can't see why Babcock would be on thin ice. Unless they feel he isn't the right coach to coach a younger team as it's vets begin to age out. I could see them then perhaps making a change to a Trotz type and moving Babcock upstairs. But I don't follow the Wings much anymore so who knows.
The only HW the Canucks need
Thomas K-thair
AHL Prospect

Post by Thomas K-thair »

Benjo wrote:Why would Babcock be on thin ice? He just took a team decimated by injuries and full of rookies to the playoffs. I don't think any coach would have beaten the Bruins in that scenario. The Red Wings obviously turned it into a development year and it turned out better than expected.
He isn't on thin ice. Consider the source and then consider the fella that quoted the source. :baaa: :stupid:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Hockey Widow wrote:Detroit has away of rewarding good people, not firing them. Nothing would surprise me but I can't see why Babcock would be on thin ice. Unless they feel he isn't the right coach to coach a younger team as it's vets begin to age out. I could see them then perhaps making a change to a Trotz type and moving Babcock upstairs. But I don't follow the Wings much anymore so who knows.
via: http://www.thestar.com/sports/leaves/201 ... schuk.html

Maple leaves should go big with Babcock: Feschuk
Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock is under contract for one more year, but it sure looks like he’s available. Bringing him in to replace Randy Carlyle is a possibility leaves president Brendan Shanahan should explore.

By: Dave Feschuk Sports Columnist, Published on Tue May 06 2014

An excerpt from said article:
In a curious development in Detroit, Babcock has said it’s doubtful he will talk with the Red Wings about a contract extension this summer. There have been suggestions that he’s waiting to see what the Red Wings will do to upgrade their roster; that he’s of the mind Detroit’s Stanley Cup window may have already closed in the waning days of the Datsyuk-Zetterberg era; that the man who’s won pretty much everything at age 51 might be intrigued by the idea of new challenges. He might enjoy working in a place where playoff games aren’t taken as a ho-hum given.
8-)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Betamax wrote: via: http://www.thestar.com/sports/leaves/201 ... schuk.html

Maple leaves should go big with Babcock: Feschuk
Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock is under contract for one more year, but it sure looks like he’s available. Bringing him in to replace Randy Carlyle is a possibility leaves president Brendan Shanahan should explore.

By: Dave Feschuk Sports Columnist, Published on Tue May 06 2014

An excerpt from said article:
In a curious development in Detroit, Babcock has said it’s doubtful he will talk with the Red Wings about a contract extension this summer. There have been suggestions that he’s waiting to see what the Red Wings will do to upgrade their roster; that he’s of the mind Detroit’s Stanley Cup window may have already closed in the waning days of the Datsyuk-Zetterberg era; that the man who’s won pretty much everything at age 51 might be intrigued by the idea of new challenges. He might enjoy working in a place where playoff games aren’t taken as a ho-hum given.
8-)
LOL Feschuk, if Babcock wants a BETTER ROSTER and MORE SAY IN ORGANIZATIONAL DECISIONS

... he would most certainly NOT choose CRACKTOWN (where coaches go to die).

Also, Shanny and Babcock DESPISED EACH OTHER, which is why I BELIEVE Shanny chose to leave (Mo)town.

Don't forget the Leaves would have to COMPENSATE the Wings as Babby is UNDER CONTRACT for one more year.

Babs stated that, rather than sign an extension, he wants to sign one-year contracts MOVING FORWARD.

Much to GM Ken Holland's chagrin.

Sure that might mean he's THINKING about moving on SOONER-THAN-LATER.

But surely NOT to the PATHETIC LEAVES! :roll:

I'll bet any MAN JACK one of the readers of this here thread that he coaches THE WINGS next season!

IMHO as PUNISHMENT for this article, Feschuk should be made to wear his Leaf jersey

... with a 'KICK ME' sign attached...

down the streets of EAST VAN AFTER MIDNIGHT! :drink:

Crazy fucker...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

SKYO wrote:wow craziness, wonder if the philanderer rumours are true.
*LOL* With C.Schneid's GF? :lol: