The Official Ron MacLean Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

The Official Ron MacLean Thread

Post by Strangelove »

Does anyone else find it strange that Ron MacLean, noted sportscaster for 28 years and Level-5 hockey referee (as he keeps reminding us) would suggest that many NHL players consider NHL refs to be biased?

To the point of a possible gang-bang attack on an NHL referee? :shock:

The same Ron MacLean who, 4 years ago on national television, crucified a certain NHL player (Alexandre Burrows) for suggesting that a certain NHL referee (Stephane Auger) COULD POSSIBLY BE biased?

Does anyone else find it strange that this same Ron MacLean pointed out perceived bias by French-Canadian referees in games in Montreal, but has NEVER EVER touched upon perceived bias by Ontario-born referees in games in Toronto?

NOR perceived bias by the 3 Canadian refs in the past two Olympic hockey Gold Medal Games?

Yesterday, during the 2nd period break, Canadiens with a 3-1 game lead and a 3-0 series lead….
MacLean: "It's a good thing that they (refs) look good, because Francois St. Laurent would not have been a popular choice for the Tampa Lighting in that game, it was almost like they were responding to Jon Cooper's cavalier way he said they would like a do-over."

Friedman: "Are you saying… the French referee thing?"

MacLean: “Absolutely! Why would you tempt fate?! I thought it was a risqué assignment… YOU DON’T THINK SO ELLIOTT??"

Friedman: “It’s it’s it’s just that I think that… y’know what? I just think it’s it’s a tough thing to say… uh uh… like I’ve heard it, and I.. I… I’ve heard those kinds of accusations and I’ve heard that kind of thing before... I just think to lable all the referees that way is really unfair.”

MacLean: “Well y’know when Ken Dryden’s report on the Moncton Bleus explosion on Prince Edward Island ((20 years ago, 5 French-Canadian hockey players attacked a referee resulting in criminal charges and the university’s hockey program being shut down)) that is ultimately what he said: The temperature ratchets up so high in the playoffs; be careful what you wish for when you… don’t even present that possibility… it’s worth thinking about.”

Friedman: “So you’re saying there should never be a French referee in Quebec.”

MacLean: “Just this time. Just after what had happened in Game 3.” (French ref made questionable call)

Friedman: “They ARE pre-scheduled. I think the first 4 games are pre-scheduled.”

MacLean: “It’s uh, y’know what, it’s pro hockey, and you’re gonna say they're above that, and they are… but the league shouldn't have done that."
Note Friedman’s last statement.

Surely a 28-year-sportscaster, Level-5 referee knows the first 4 games of each series are pre-scheduled!

Obviously then, his “after what happened in Game 3” comment means he thinks that…

If one French ref (Charron) is perceived to be biased, the NHL should yank ALL French refs for the next game

(St. Laurent was the Game 4 ref MacLean was questioning).

Someone should ask MacLean if he thinks all Ontario-born refs should be yanked if the opposing coach subtlety suggests bias in a game against the Toronto Maple Leaves in Pigtown.

And if he has changed his stance on perceived bias in a case such as CANUCKS vs Auger.

LOFL at MacLean invoking a gangbang attack on a ref in a university game 20 years ago!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

*ahem*

Ummm get some help Ronald...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: The Official Ron MacLean Thread

Post by Hockey Widow »

What was even funnier was his long winded apology afterwards. He stumbled, tried to justify, explained it away and was very, very sorry. Someone got to him. The guy is on his last legs.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

World is finally getting a looksee into the weasel that Ron really is instead of this phoney ass Canadian icon he thinks he is
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:What was even funnier was his long winded apology afterwards. He stumbled, tried to justify, explained it away and was very, very sorry. Someone got to him. The guy is on his last legs.
Exactly, his lame-ass "apology" only served to make the hole he's presently in deeper still.

Basically: 'I'm not saying just French-Canadian referees are incapable of professionalism

... I'm saying ALL referees are incapable of professionalism!' :crazy:

“I wouldn’t have sent an Alberta ref into an Alberta game had an Alberta official been involved in a tough Game 3. I should have said any referee from the area”.

Oh yeah, let's all cave to 'perceived bias' there Rotten Ronny!

Where was this side of you when it was Canucks vs Auger?

Hmmmm?? :twisted:

BTW your referee in question (Francis Charron) hails from Gatineau Quebec, an Ottawa suburb.

So didn't you mean to say he should be banned from all... Senators... games?? :evil:

Also RON, the Tampa coach never raised the question of a French-Canadian ref.

YOU were the only one who did that!

PJ Stock managed to get one question in: "What about Dave Jackson?"

(Jackson, like Stock, is an anglophone Quebecker)

See, at one point you said "French referee" and another you said "from the area".

You know you stink bad when PJ complains about your odor.

Link to after-40 Game Four video....

http://deadspin.com/ron-maclean-drags-h ... 1566538763

Link to lame-ass "apology" a few hours later...

Notice in the "apology" you said you meant there shouldn't have been a french ref in Game 4

... you said that in Games 5, 6, and 7 it would be okay to have a french ref in there

... but that Game 4 was an "elimination game" and that is why it was wrong!

UMMM EARTH TO RONALD: If those games were played, they ALL would've been "elimination games"! Image

Notice in the "apology" you say in the World Cup of soccer, refs are not assigned to games in their region.

Funny RONALDO, you never said boo about the Canadian refs in the last 2 Olympic Gold Medal Games.

As a matter of fact, in your 27 years as a sportscaster you've never said boo about potential ref bias.

Just the opposite in fact: You've always been a staunch supporter of referee professionalism!

Do you see now why yours truly deemed it a "lame-ass" apology? :hmmm:

*turns to audience*

Please note Stock/Friedman doing their best to keep straight faces, as per their instructions no doubt.

Yet you'll notice that when RONALDO invokes the World Cup of soccer, Friedman couldn't contain himself

(cough cough at the 1:16 mark).

This is all much too hilarious for lil ole me. :mrgreen:

A conspiracy theorist might even conclude that... now that the Canucks are out of the picture

.. sportscasters at the Centre of the Universe have gone back to lashing out at their longtime french foes.

Which tends to make one scream GO HABS GO!!! :towel:
Last edited by Strangelove on Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote:World is finally getting a looksee into the weasel that Ron really is instead of this phoney ass Canadian icon he LIKES TO PORTRAY HIMSELF AS
When RoyalDude and Strangelove agree on something, you can take that to the bank and deposit it LONG TERM!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

He will be relegated to live out his days on a fading HNIC as SN gets ready to take over. Can't see them giving him a contract. As HNIC fades as THE channel to watch hockey, even more so than it has already, dear Ron will fade away with it. SN will control what games HNIC gets and CBC as cashed starved as it is will have to let even more of these jokers go.
The only HW the Canucks need
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

1st world problems...
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ClamRussel wrote:1st world problems...
LOL this from the OP of 2 threads on the first page of this forum, namely:

"Anti-Canucks Media"

and

"The (in)Consistency of NHL Officiating [aka WTH?!?]"

But that's okay, I believe we are restricted in this forum to "1st world problems" amirite? :mex:

Otherwise one might (fairly?) compare 2nd world Putin to 1st world MacLean.

ImageImage

Ron MacLean will never live this one down.

And y'know what?

I'm glad. 8-)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:He will be relegated to live out his days on a fading HNIC as SN gets ready to take over. Can't see them giving him a contract. As HNIC fades as THE channel to watch hockey, even more so than it has already, dear Ron will fade away with it. SN will control what games HNIC gets and CBC as cashed starved as it is will have to let even more of these jokers go.
Yup, and I personally am going to enjoy every minute of it. :mex:

Let's see, in one foul swoop MacLean has insulted the integrity of the NHL and that of it's officials.

Not to mention invoking the wrath of French-Canadians and the scorn of bullshit-detecting hockey fans everywhere.

Down you go Rotten Ronny, down you go....
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Ron MacLean basically admitting NHL referee's are incapable of being unbiased in their decisions.

The truth finally comes out.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Im just waiting for some sort of John Furlong controversy to come out with Ron MacLean. There is something shifty and evil about this dude.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau