What Pro Sports Team "Model" should the Canucks emulate?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

What Pro Sports Team "Model" should the Vancouver Canucks emulate?

Boston Bruins
15%
Colorado Avalanche
10%
Detroit Red Wings
15%
Edmonton Oilers
No votes
Seattle Seahawks
10%
Other (Please Specify)
50%

Total votes: 20

ukcanuck
CC Legend

Re: What Pro Sports Team "Model" should the Canucks emulate?

Post by ukcanuck »

Evil fuckin genius ...
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Why aren't the LA Clippers an option?
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

BurningBeard wrote:Why aren't the LA Clippers an option?
Based on the racial diversity of our roster, maybe we are. ;)
2019-20 - Playoff Bound
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

flip flop back to boston. :D
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I prefer deep in the valley over flat prairies.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

I wish my very successful and timely Draft Pick thread had more T & A in it :cry:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
kelowna kanuck
CC Veteran

Post by kelowna kanuck »

That coach has my complete respect. One of the smartest motherfuckers I have ever come across in sports.
more cap space!
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Topper wrote:I like the BC Angel model the best, failing that, the Ottawa Red Blacks.
Did the BC Angels actually play a season? Their twitter account has only 1 tweet, made in 2012.

via: https://twitter.com/BCAngelsLFL

:hmmm:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Cornuck wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:Why aren't the LA Clippers an option?
Based on the racial diversity of our roster, maybe we are. ;)
Well, not really. The owner's "issue" wasn't that he didn't want to have his team comprised of minorities (some may infer that they were his servants) ... just look at their roster, it's, duh, he just didn't want to see "those kind of people" in the stands cheering for his team. :hmmm:

via: https://twitter.com/LAClipperNatio1/sta ... 0547038208
Your 2013-2014 Los Angeles Clippers roster. #ClipperNation pic.twitter.com/Oy6mAVEwgM

6:37 PM - 23 Oct 2013
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

I think I heard it on the TEAM Radio mid-day show that Wilson is backing his Coach at the moment. So let's just speculate, if Wilson shows a sign of solidarity, and says "we both stay or axe both of us" ultimatum to Ownership, and Ownership does decide to "swing" the axe ... would Canucks' Nation embrace Linden hiring both Wilson as GM and McLellan as Coach?

In other words, Canucks will follow the San Jose "Model" ...

If that's the case, I would suggest that it would be advisable for Canucks' Nation to learn the "The Heimlich maneuver" ...

What say you? 8-)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

It won't happen, Trevor taking a package from SJS. I don't really want him to either. Wilson extending Thornton and Marleau is no better than us extending the twins. His drafting has been better but they are a regular season team and around here that isn't good enough.

When Trevor does his GM interviews he will have a lot of conversations around who the coach should be which is why he says the two issues can be part of the same process. It will all be ok in the end, and if it isn't, then it isn't yet the end.
The only HW the Canucks need
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Hockey Widow wrote:It won't happen, Trevor taking a package from SJS. I don't really want him to either. Wilson extending Thornton and Marleau is no better than us extending the twins. His drafting has been better but they are a regular season team and around here that isn't good enough.

When Trevor does his GM interviews he will have a lot of conversations around who the coach should be which is why he says the two issues can be part of the same process. It will all be ok in the end, and if it isn't, then it isn't yet the end.
My sense is that Trevor won't hire an experienced high profile GM i.e. a Wilson or McPhee but would take one of the up and comers i.e. a Benning ... I suspect an experienced GM would want more autonomy and it seems like Trevor wants to be a consensus builder with significant input when it comes to key hockey decisions.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Betamax wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:It won't happen, Trevor taking a package from SJS. I don't really want him to either. Wilson extending Thornton and Marleau is no better than us extending the twins. His drafting has been better but they are a regular season team and around here that isn't good enough.

My sense is that Trevor won't hire an experienced high profile GM i.e. a Wilson or McPhee but would take one of the up and comers i.e. a Benning ... I suspect an experienced GM would want more autonomy and it seems like Trevor wants to be a consensus builder with significant input when it comes to key hockey decisions.

I don' think that is unusual in today's game. If you watch the clip n the behind the scenes re Boston (did you post the link) you will see Cam Neely was very active in all discussions and decisions. You will also see that the team is run by consensus with input from everyone, except owners. I think that's what MG had here too. I think that is what Linden will create here as well. The GM will have autonomy to some extent but I doubt he will in reality be able to go out and make major moves without consultation. I don't think that model of separate spheres is in play in many franchises anymore. It is about team building and consensus and the lines of autonomy will be blurred. As long as the stake holders know their role and are on the same page it works.

The Bruins brain trust talked after about Bruin hockey, being a Bruin and what that means. When it came to Seguin the bottom line was even with all his strengths the consensus was he wasn't a Bruin and wasn't suited for Bruin hockey. I suspect the Linden led team will try to I instil similar values and models. What is it to be a Canuck and what is Canuck hockey.
The only HW the Canucks need
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Betamax wrote:

I don' think that is unusual in today's game. If you watch the clip n the behind the scenes re Boston (did you post the link) you will see Cam Neely was very active in all discussions and decisions. You will also see that the team is run by consensus with input from everyone, except owners. I think that's what MG had here too. I think that is what Linden will create here as well. The GM will have autonomy to some extent but I doubt he will in reality be able to go out and make major moves without consultation. I don't think that model of separate spheres is in play in many franchises anymore. It is about team building and consensus and the lines of autonomy will be blurred. As long as the stake holders know their role and are on the same page it works.

The Bruins brain trust talked after about Bruin hockey, being a Bruin and what that means. When it came to Seguin the bottom line was even with all his strengths the consensus was he wasn't a Bruin and wasn't suited for Bruin hockey. I suspect the Linden led team will try to I instil similar values and models. What is it to be a Canuck and what is Canuck hockey.
So if the Canucks follow the "Boston Model" ... the Owners will let the hockey people make the decisions, moving forward? :hmmm:

It seems that in Vancouver, Ownership was much more "involved" in hockey ops ... I remember the examples during the Nonis era when Ownership was allegedly pushing for a Brad Richards trade deadline deal and from the sounds of it, it didn't change when Michael D. Gillis took over.

My point on Linden not really wanting to go with an proven GM, versus someone "new" to that role is that there won't be an asymmetrical imbalance in terms of experience and that the guy that's been there and done that, the experienced guy would not show the same level of respect to Linden (since he's new to being an NHL Executive), vs. a new GM where, they'd be more on equal footing ... rookies to that role.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Betamax wrote:

Let's hope so, and that our owners stay out of those discussions. I'd feel comfortable if our brain trust was Linden, Benning, Trotz, Quinn, Gillman, Henning, Smyl etc.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy