2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Postby Island Nucklehead » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:41 pm

Uncle dans leg wrote:I do admire Detroits push back but it really is water breaking on the rocks.
I really pulling for Detroit's skill to win out but don't have much confidence in it happening

Agreed. As much as the league professed to prefer a skill game and "attempted" a crackdown on thuggery after the 2004-05 lockout, it's painfully obvious that it is still a league that favours teams that push the boundaries of the rule book, to the detriment of skilled plays.
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby SKYO » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:12 pm

Makes me want to keep Kesler as he's a big tenacious guy who thrives in these dirty filthy battles that is the playoffs.

The Blackhawks and Bruins setting the bar on dirt play, hoping the Blues pull off the semi-upset though!
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby BurningBeard » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:Smith is lucky he didn't go with Chara.

Watching that standoff was like watching a cat play with a mouse.

I watched both games and Detroit didn't come ready to play game two. It wasn't like game one. That series is still up in the air.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
BurningBeard
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Island Nucklehead » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:25 pm

I'm thoroughly enjoying watching San Jose rape the LA Kings.
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby ClamRussel » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:43 pm

Ya, looks good on them. :lol:
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Postby Island Nucklehead » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:49 pm

ClamRussel wrote:Ya, looks good on them. :lol:

How does this work? Jona7han Quick? Jonathan Qui5k? Am I doing it right? :lol:
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby ClamRussel » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:19 pm

Boston media: Lucic crotch spear was the right thing to do!
(Ya, I guess when your owner runs the league)

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/2014/04/in_defense_of_lucics_cheap_shot_-_welcome_to_playoff_hockey.html
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Postby Hockey Widow » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:44 am

ClamRussel wrote:Boston media: Lucic crotch spear was the right thing to do!
(Ya, I guess when your owner runs the league)

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/2014/04/in_defense_of_lucics_cheap_shot_-_welcome_to_playoff_hockey.html

Funny they don't feel that way when another team takes it to them.

I want all the teams rumoured to be in on Edler or Kesler to lose in the 1-2 round. Make them think they are only missing that one piece :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Diehard1 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:42 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:Somewhere...Alex Burrows is clenching his fist imaging it's full of hair...

With a river of piss running down his leg . Keith would pound Burrows .

I think after his 'wakey wakey Backes' Keith is going to have to worry about much larger opponents than Burrows. Backes is big, mean and dirty - perfect to take Keith's head off next season. I for one would applaud it, I'm not for injuring other players but you live by the sword......

As for Boston, nothing surprises me that comes out of that cesspool. I've been there a few times, nice place but the fans hate everybody and everything that isn't from there. Nice place to visit but not very accommodating to say the least.
Diehard1
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Meds » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:16 am

I've always maintained that Jonathan Quick was the beneficiary of excellent defense as much as he is the an exceptionally athletic goaltender. His reflexes and agility are perhaps second to none in the NHL, particularly low along the ice, and his lateral movement is top tier. His rebound control is slightly above average, and he is quite beatable when it comes to quick releases on the rush that go upstairs, particularly if you get him moving laterally first as he tends to come across the net hard and fast and low to the ice.

The Sharks exposed the Kings slower feet last night and fed off of the Kings on the rush. None of the goals Quick let in were deflections or rebounds, all beat him cleanly and upstairs.

He's batting a 7.20 GAA and an .824 SV% right now in this playoffs. Ilya Bryzgalov is posting better than him at 4.85. Gotta wonder if Sutter goes with Jones for game 3. Probably unlikely, but if they lose their first game at home and Quick surrenders more than 3, Sutter will be in a nice bind, having to decide whether to gamble on Jones for an elimination game, or go the "safe" route and give the nod to his starter by virtue of past history.
Meds
CC Legend

Postby RoyalDude » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:06 am

Dougy Wilson with one of the best and fastest retooling jobs in GMing history. Great drafting and developing by a team that rarely drafts high, gets rid of the slow and undisciplined in Handzus, Clowe (Blob MacKenzies favourite player) and Murray for just draft picks and replaces it with youth and relentless speed, forechecking, puck pursuit, hitting and intelligent puck possession. This is a determined team, no shifts are phoned in, well coach, well managed. Nice work sharks. Out of all the current playoff teams I definitely like their game the most.

Can somebody explain to me why Gillis let Torres go? Was it because he prefers nice guys like the gentley soft Chris Higgins who disappear in the playoffs and clutch games and the puck giveaway king - David Booth?
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Island Nucklehead » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:04 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Can somebody explain to me why Gillis let Torres go? Was it because he prefers nice guys like the gentley soft Chris Higgins who disappear in the playoffs and clutch games and the puck giveaway king - David Booth?

I believe there was some rumours of dressing room conflict... but I can't say for sure.

Torres is the kind of take-no-prisoners that legitimately scares the opposition. This guy will scramble your eggs and not bat an eye. He's a perfect 4th liner and seems to come up clutch when it counts. Him and Mike Brown have really allowed San Jose to elevate their physical game.
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby SKYO » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:16 pm

Diehard1 wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:Somewhere...Alex Burrows is clenching his fist imaging it's full of hair...

With a river of piss running down his leg . Keith would pound Burrows .

I think after his 'wakey wakey Backes' Keith is going to have to worry about much larger opponents than Burrows. Backes is big, mean and dirty - perfect to take Keith's head off next season. I for one would applaud it, I'm not for injuring other players but you live by the sword......

As for Boston, nothing surprises me that comes out of that cesspool. I've been there a few times, nice place but the fans hate everybody and everything that isn't from there. Nice place to visit but not very accommodating to say the least.

Yup if it's someone begging for it, it's Keith.

SKYO
CC Legend

Postby BurningBeard » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:42 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:Torres is the kind of take-no-prisoners that legitimately scares the opposition. This guy will scramble your eggs and not bat an eye. He's a perfect 4th liner and seems to come up clutch when it counts. Him and Mike Brown have really allowed San Jose to elevate their physical game.

He probably legitimately scares most coaches (his own). He's clutch at sending a player to the emergency room, getting suspended, and turning a series to the opposition. I loved the way Torres played for Vancouver, but he played on the edge, and that comes with consequences. There's a reason why he's played for 7 different NHL teams.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
BurningBeard
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Benjo » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:06 pm

Everyone is on the hate Cooke bandwagon already but IMO Barrie bailed and Cooke just tried to get a piece of him.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat