Missing the Playoffs (and its ramifications)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Missing the Playoffs (and its ramifications)

Postby ClamRussel » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:01 pm

Are the Devils hit w/ cap recapture for Kovalchuk retiring? ...thats obviously why Pronger hasn't officially retired yet.

If the Canucks had half a brain they would have made that a "condition" of trading Lu back to Florida. The only place he wanted to go. He never retires, and perhaps someday he just gets injured and cannot even ride a bicycle w/o discomfort.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/3/7/4076326/chris-pronger-retirement-press-conference-flyers
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Postby rikster » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:20 pm

The only place he wanted to go. He never retires, and perhaps someday he just gets injured and cannot even ride a bicycle w/o discomfort.

As I suggested earlier, that penalty will likely never be inforced and will eventually be removed by the league...

And even if its not, because the cap is going to be much higher then than it is now there will always be financial pressure on the have not teams to reach the cap floor...

So a team like Florida, who had the lowest payroll in the league this year, will welcome a contract on their books which has a $4.5 cap hit with only $1 million in actual dollars paid to help them reach the floor...

I don't get the cap recapture concerns, it aint worth losing sleep over...

Take care...
rikster
MVP
MVP

Postby ClamRussel » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:14 pm

No ones losing sleep over that rikster, just a topic of conversation.

The mind boggling aspect of the cap recapture is that it ever saw the light of day. Its absurd and unfair to punish teams retroactively for doing something the league approved of. We all know who had Gary's ear during the drafting of this and whats behind it.
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Postby ukcanuck » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:26 pm

If luongo had come through with the game of his life in 2011 and pitched a shut out in game seven.
We would not be having this conversation. There would be a statue of Gillis on griffiths way, and we would be marvelling at the guts it took to draft such an amazing contract...

Funny how life is ...
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Island Nucklehead » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:05 am

ClamRussel wrote:No ones losing sleep over that rikster, just a topic of conversation.

The mind boggling aspect of the cap recapture is that it ever saw the light of day. Its absurd and unfair to punish teams retroactively for doing something the league approved of. We all know who had Gary's ear during the drafting of this and whats behind it.

Yeah it's hard to believe they would allow such a proposal to succeed, but at this point we have to assume it might bite us in the ass to the tune of a first line player. Apparently, since the Devils reaped $12M in benefits from Kovalchuk's deal, spread over the life of the remaining years, it works out to like $250K per season. Chump change. Likewise, I imagine if Luongo retired tomorrow and resigned after a season off, the Canucks would have less than their current 800K hit. Why he didn't do that when he thought his "contract sucked" is beyond me.... lol guaranteed $$$$$$ buys a lot of Italian cuisine.

Considering teams like the Hawks (Hossa... $4.25M, Keith $3.8M), Minny (Suter+Parise @ $6+M), Detroit (Zetterberg @ $5M, Franzen @$3M) and Vancouver are all in the same boat, I'm sure the league finds a way to "punish" these contracts without actually punishing the teams.
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby Hockey Widow » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:10 am

What I also find mind boggling is they actually had one aspect they grandfathered in. If a player, like Nash, was traded before the old CBA expired then they are not subject to the cap recapture clause. Why they grandfathered that one type of scenario smacks of favouritism.

As for Pronger, there is very good reason for him not to retire. If he does so he forfeits his salary. While on LTIR he gets paid.

One of the questions Luongo was asked at his Florida presser was about his contract and if he intended to play until it expired. His answer was something along the lines of there being a much better chance of that happening today (the day of the presser) than there was yesterday. He may feel a sense of loyalty/obligation to Florida. Let's hope.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Island Nucklehead » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:43 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:As for Pronger, there is very good reason for him not to retire. If he does so he forfeits his salary. While on LTIR he gets paid.

The Pronger deal is one of the most ridiculous things in professional sports. The man himself admits he'll never play again, yet refuses to "officially" retire. If I was Shea Weber I'd be looking for a concussion to milk...
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby BurningBeard » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:18 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:The Pronger deal is one of the most ridiculous things in professional sports. The man himself admits he'll never play again, yet refuses to "officially" retire. If I was Shea Weber I'd be looking for a concussion to milk...

The Flyers also didn't read the CBA properly when Pronger signed the deal, and didn't realize they'd be on the hook for his cap hit if he retired.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
BurningBeard
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Hockey Widow » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:41 am

BurningBeard wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:The Pronger deal is one of the most ridiculous things in professional sports. The man himself admits he'll never play again, yet refuses to "officially" retire. If I was Shea Weber I'd be looking for a concussion to milk...

The Flyers also didn't read the CBA properly when Pronger signed the deal, and didn't realize they'd be on the hook for his cap hit if he retired.

You are right. The Flyers screwed up on that one. But there is no reason for him to officially retire as long as he has a legit injury. Why walk away from that money if he is so injured he can't play. He was in good shape when he suffered his last injury and still a valuable player. Not team canada valuable anymore but still a contributor to the Flyers. I don't doubt the legitimacy of his injury.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Per » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:17 am

ukcanuck wrote:If luongo had come through with the game of his life in 2011 and pitched a shut out in game seven.
We would not be having this conversation. There would be a statue of Gillis on griffiths way, and we would be marvelling at the guts it took to draft such an amazing contract...

Funny how life is ...

This.
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby dbr » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:45 am

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:As for Pronger, there is very good reason for him not to retire. If he does so he forfeits his salary. While on LTIR he gets paid.

The Pronger deal is one of the most ridiculous things in professional sports. The man himself admits he'll never play again, yet refuses to "officially" retire. If I was Shea Weber I'd be looking for a concussion to milk...

The only thing ridiculous about the Pronger contract is that Bold Moves Holmgren signed it without realizing it would be a 35+ contract.. up there with the Jeff Finger signing and the ROR "what do you mean, waivers" offer sheet Jay Feaster tendered.

As for why Pronger doesn't retire.. why on earth would he? What's the point of these long term deals if not to secure these players financial security in the event of a career ending (and post-hockey life altering) injury?
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby RoyalDude » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:22 am

Pronger must be living the dream right now, collecting some pretty fine grease off ole Snyder there while not having to put up with rigors of travel, training, practice etc. Probably slaying X-box all day long on his expensive couch in his expensive media room
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby dbr » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:43 am

RoyalDude wrote:Pronger must be living the dream right now, collecting some pretty fine grease off ole Snyder there while not having to put up with rigors of travel, training, practice etc. Probably slaying X-box all day long on his expensive couch in his expensive media room

Provided he can look at the bright lights for 20 minutes at a time.

But hey, he's got money right? ;)
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby RoyalDude » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:47 am

I'm sure he can, if the injury occurred when he was 28 he'd be back in uniform doing his thing. It's a well timed injury at his age to take full advantage of his contractual rights. Didn't come out of retirement once? I might be thinking of someone else
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Island Nucklehead » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:58 pm

RoyalDude wrote:I'm sure he can, if the injury occurred when he was 28 he'd be back in uniform doing his thing. It's a well timed injury at his age to take full advantage of his contractual rights. Didn't come out of retirement once? I might be thinking of someone else

Yeah. I would imagine if the Flyers had the ability to cut Pronger due to his inability to play, he would be back in uniform at some point. For the record, my problem is not with Pronger, it's the system. The guy admits he won't play anymore, to me that means he is retired. Good for him for getting paid for doing nothing, or being a "scout", but IMO there should be a mechanism in place where he needs to continuously strive to return to health in order to maintain his status as an "active" NHLer.

The other thing is, if this was a knee injury, would it still be the same scenario? We all know how unpredictable head injuries are, but if this was a recurring knee injury, and doctors told him he'd never play again, would he still be able to say he's an "active" player because he goes for a jog every 2 days?
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat