Missing the Playoffs (and its ramifications)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Missing the Playoffs (and its ramifications)

Postby RoyalDude » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:12 pm

If Garrison was Swedish and not a 'local boy' you'd all be driving him to the airport along with Edler.

I'd be ecstatic to see him gone as well. A once promising signing not looking so promising now.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby herb » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:02 pm

ClamRussel wrote:
herb wrote: Edler is apparently on his way to the airport as we speak.

...says who?

I guess you don't follow this site much.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby ClamRussel » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:06 pm

herb wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
herb wrote: Edler is apparently on his way to the airport as we speak.

...says who?

I guess you don't follow this site much.

I do but I know the difference between wild speculation by fans/media and reality.
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Postby rats19 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:13 pm

Yes bare fruit 'Oib...
You are who you hang with.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby herb » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:09 pm

Around the deadline there was talk that an Edler to Boston deal was all but done, but was contingent upon Kesler moving to Pittsburgh.

Edler to Detroit was rumored last summer, with McKenzie commenting that the Canucks were looking to move him before his NTC kicked in.

Maybe it's all made up media bullshit. Maybe not.

Either way, talking about buying Garrison out is stoopid. The guy would surely have value around the league, thus there would be no need to even consider buying him out if management decided to go another direction.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Island Nucklehead » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:17 pm

herb wrote:Either way, talking about buying Garrison out is stoopid. The guy would surely have value around the league, thus there would be no need to even consider buying him out if management decided to go another direction.

Yes. Especially considering nearly everyone had down years this past season playing under Torts.

Edler is still the guy I'd be looking to move.
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby Betamax » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:28 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
herb wrote:Either way, talking about buying Garrison out is stoopid. The guy would surely have value around the league, thus there would be no need to even consider buying him out if management decided to go another direction.

Yes. Especially considering nearly everyone had down years this past season playing under Torts.

Edler is still the guy I'd be looking to move.

That says it all. For a guy that was suppose to provide the boost, a jump start to a "stale" team, in his final presser he acknowledges that he couldn't get the job done and they ended up with a FUBAR season.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby herb » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:49 pm

Betamax wrote:That says it all. For a guy that was suppose to provide the boost, a jump start to a "stale" team, in his final presser he acknowledges that he couldn't get the job done and they ended up with a FUBAR season.

Yup.

I'm torn on Torts. On the one hand, I like the guy. He is entertaining and his press conferences are genuinely good. On the other hand, clearly he badly misread the situation thinking the best course of action was to try and change the way our best players approached the game, which in retrospect was pretty stupid.

It's not all Torts' fault and at this point I am ambivalent as to whether he stays or goes. The team was trending in this general direction the last couple of years under AV. It's also not the coaching staff's fault that injuries ran their course and that we had zero forward depth.

I do want Sullivan gone. I would like to see somebody more progressive and perhaps the heir apparent as an assistant next season.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby SKYO » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:59 pm

herb wrote: On the other hand, clearly he badly misread the situation thinking the best course of action was to try and change the way our best players approached the game, which in retrospect was pretty stupid.

It's not all Torts' fault and at this point I am ambivalent as to whether he stays or goes. The team was trending in this general direction the last couple of years under AV. It's also not the coaching staff's fault that injuries ran their course and that we had zero forward depth.

I do want Sullivan gone. I would like to see somebody more progressive and perhaps the heir apparent as an assistant next season.

I want a full coaching staff change, definitely need two assistant coaches one a superb defensive minded type and a powerplay/special teams guy.

And of course the adaptable head coach who can work with what he's given, ie Trotz.
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:07 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Yes, if Luongo retires that ridiculous 800k comes off our books. BUT THEN WE EAT MILLIONS IN CAP DUE TO THE CAP RECAPTURE PLUS 15%OF FLORIDA'S CAP RECAPTURE!

Here are the exact cap-hit penalties if/when Lu Wongo retires...

http://capgeek.com/news/roberto-luongo- ... -recapture

(the number in the green box would be for every season through 2021-22)

(for eg. $1,084,153 times 8 seasons if he retires this summer)

(for eg. $3,221,425 times 3 seasons if he retires in the summer of 2019)

Or perhaps we'll get lucky and he'll continue to play right through to 2022. :roll:
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby BurningBeard » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:36 pm

RoyalDude wrote:I'd be ecstatic to see him gone as well. A once promising signing not looking so promising now.

Alright, why was it a once promising signing? Explain that to me.

Was it because he had a decent point shot and just put up 33 points playing for Florida?

Because looking at him today, seems things haven't change much.

He's having more problems hitting the net then he used to, and had a shit poor second half, but you'd still be hard pressed to replace him for similar money.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
BurningBeard
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Strangelove » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:51 pm

RoyalDude wrote:If Garrison was Swedish and not a 'local boy' you'd all be driving him to the airport along with Edler.

So now we're all racists?? :crazy:

LOL, typical you-know-wot....
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby ClamRussel » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:32 am

herb wrote:Around the deadline there was talk that an Edler to Boston deal was all but done, but was contingent upon Kesler moving to Pittsburgh.

Edler to Detroit was rumored last summer, with McKenzie commenting that the Canucks were looking to move him before his NTC kicked in.

Maybe it's all made up media bullshit. Maybe not.

Either way, talking about buying Garrison out is stoopid. The guy would surely have value around the league, thus there would be no need to even consider buying him out if management decided to go another direction.

It's not "stoopid", it frees us of a bad contract. You're going on the assumption Edler is traded. We have a changing of the guard so the Gillis plan is over. A new coach = a new system. If Edler gets back on track he is a superior blue liner to Garrison. Right now his value is low & I don't see Linden giving up on him. With Tanev in the top 4 and due for a raise it doesn't make sense to be paying your #5 spot $4-5M. Buying out a player immediately gives us more UFA play money. If we trade Edler & don't bring back a top 4 D then obviously it makes sense to keep Garrison.
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Postby Island Nucklehead » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:17 am

ClamRussel wrote:It's not "stoopid", it frees us of a bad contract. You're going on the assumption Edler is traded. We have a changing of the guard so the Gillis plan is over. A new coach = a new system. If Edler gets back on track he is a superior blue liner to Garrison. Right now his value is low & I don't see Linden giving up on him. With Tanev in the top 4 and due for a raise it doesn't make sense to be paying your #5 spot $4-5M. Buying out a player immediately gives us more UFA play money. If we trade Edler & don't bring back a top 4 D then obviously it makes sense to keep Garrison.

Do you honestly feel a guy like Garrison (assuming he'd waive) wouldn't have a trade market? I think a 30+ point dman with a cannon shot on a reasonable deal for the next 4 seasons would have a market.

He was our best d-man for almost half the season, I don't think he's a buyout candidate, nor is he someone we need to forcibly trade.
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby Meds » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:07 am

RoyalDude wrote:If Garrison was Swedish and not a 'local boy' you'd all be driving him to the airport along with Edler.

I'd be ecstatic to see him gone as well. A once promising signing not looking so promising now.

Garrison's value is on the PP and responsible, simple, play in his own end.

The Canucks PP doesn't really work for Garrison because they don't move the puck quickly enough. The guy gets a one-timer off faster than most people I've seen, and with only half a windup it's a bomb that few can match.....he's also good at letting it go without the pass being absolutely perfect, something none of our other defensemen can do.

In Florida he was on a shitty team and put up good numbers. The Canucks were coming off of another President's Trophy and had a good PP that had shown a drop in production with the loss of Ehrhoff and now Salo. Garrison should have been a good fit, but the book on the Canucks was out and Garrison was rendered useless because of the other players on the Canucks PP slowing things down, and 2 of our best forwards being unwilling to shoot.

Change up the PP and everyone will be singing Garrison's praises again as he bombs away for 15+ goals and 35 points.
Meds
CC Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat