Missing the Playoffs (and its ramifications)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: Missing the Playoffs (and its ramifications)

Post by Per »

I've stated it before, and I'll state it again. This team is only three pieces shy of being a legitimate contender.

What do we need?
1) A goal scorer to play with the Sedins. Could actually be Burrows, if he can return to form. He and Carter are probably the ones who have worked best on that line for the Canucks. If we could somehow get Loui Eriksson, who plays with them on the national team, it'd be a godsend, but sadly that's not going to happen.

2) A new centre for one of the two top lines. Let Kessler get another Selke on the third line, or play as a winger with the Sedins.

3) And most importantly, a power play quarter back. The main difference between the team this season and the team that was one game shy of winning the cup is the power play. In 2011 it was the best there was in the league. Three years later it's a disaster. If we can fix this we can win the cup.

Goal tending? Not a problem. Sure, the current tandem is not the Luongo/Schneider combo we once had, but Läck had a damn good rookie season and will come back better and stronger next year. His stint with the Three Crowns at the world championship this spring will help boost his self esteem as well. Markström has tons of talent and will sooner or later start delivering on his promises. They are not top notch, but they are a helluva lot better than what we had during the Cloutier years or before that. Good enough to help us win a cup if only the team in front of them can start figuring out how to score goals.

Plenty of promising players on the farm. I believe this team has a bright future if only we could find the three pieces I said. Sure, it won't be easy, but with the cap space freed up by switching to the current goalies, it should have gotten easier than it was before.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Missing the Playoffs (and its ramifications)

Post by Betamax »

Per wrote:I've stated it before, and I'll state it again. This team is only three pieces shy of being a legitimate contender.

What do we need?
1) A goal scorer to play with the Sedins. Could actually be Burrows, if he can return to form. He and Carter are probably the ones who have worked best on that line for the Canucks. If we could somehow get Loui Eriksson, who plays with them on the national team, it'd be a godsend, but sadly that's not going to happen.

2) A new centre for one of the two top lines. Let Kessler get another Selke on the third line, or play as a winger with the Sedins.

3) And most importantly, a power play quarter back. The main difference between the team this season and the team that was one game shy of winning the cup is the power play. In 2011 it was the best there was in the league. Three years later it's a disaster. If we can fix this we can win the cup.

Goal tending? Not a problem. Sure, the current tandem is not the Luongo/Schneider combo we once had, but Läck had a damn good rookie season and will come back better and stronger next year. His stint with the Three Crowns at the world championship this spring will help boost his self esteem as well. Markström has tons of talent and will sooner or later start delivering on his promises. They are not top notch, but they are a helluva lot better than what we had during the Cloutier years or before that. Good enough to help us win a cup if only the team in front of them can start figuring out how to score goals.

Plenty of promising players on the farm. I believe this team has a bright future if only we could find the three pieces I said. Sure, it won't be easy, but with the cap space freed up by switching to the current goalies, it should have gotten easier than it was before.
I think the legit SC contender days for this current core is over without a significant makeover. In other words, if the Sedins are your best and most important players on the roster, I don't see the team being a "legitimate" contender.

You tell me, in the past two decades (the standard my cybro bro, dave likes to use), name me a SC Championship team where their best players were led by guys close to their mid-30s. 8-)