The (in)Consistency of NHL Officiating [aka WTH?!?]

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: The (in)Consistency of NHL Officiating [aka WTH?!?]

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ClamRussel wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
wafflecombine wrote:10 games and only that much because of his record.

Though it would be interesting if they handed him a Torres style suspension.
I'm kind of thinking they will go closer to Torres territory. Barrie is likely done for the playoffs, and Cooke already has a 17 game suspension on his resume (10+first round, which went the distance). The "repeat offender" tag doesn't apply in the duration of the suspension, only how they calculate the money he loses, and is thus inconsequential in the playoffs. Given Cooke's vast history of dirty plays, I think the league will really bury him.
The Cooke hit isn't any worse than the intentional (but un-suspended) Brown hit you posted on the previous page. He even takes an elbow swing for his head. Brown's got to be one of the craftiest of the dirty players in the league (see his unintentional-on-purpose launch into Luongo...followed by a guilt ridden glance over to see his accomplishment). Always seems to get away w/ it somehow.
I agree. Brown is a complete dirtbag. Because he has a mild amount of skill and is the Captain of a cup-winning franchise he seems to get a pass. It will catch up with him one day, and I hope he gets his "Kane-Cooke moment". None of that exonerates Cooke's behaviour, it just further underscores how piss-poor the league is when it comes to enforcing discipline/player safety.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

As I said a couple nights ago, hockey is the wrong place to look for justice and equality. It’s a brutal sport with politics and double standards and different rules for different folks. It’s still the best game on earth, but it’s not for the politically correct who get easily offended.
http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2014/04 ... ion/17978/
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Sad but true. Good find, Topper.