Who Can Be The Canucks New Head Coach?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New Head Coach?

Post by Meds »

Betamax wrote:The scuttlebutt on twitter via Botchford is that Edler is very reluctant to waive NTC. And given his sub-par season, it really is a sub-optimal time to try to trade him. I think a huge priority would be to assemble a Coaching Staff that has worked with developing Elite Level D-men. It's kinda funny to say it now, but just a couple of years ago, there was glimpses that Edler could crack into the rarified air of being a true No. 1.

With that in mind, two candidates stand out: John Stevens (the alleged chosen one by former GMMG before allegedly being pursuaded by the powers that be to go with Torts) and his help in developing Drew Doughty and the new available Trotz with Shae Weber.
Shea Weber and Alexander Edler never belonged in the same sentence.....unless it was trading Edler as part of an insanely large package going to a Nashville team that wasn't sure they were going to get Weber re-signed.

Edler doesn't have a full NMC or NTC as far as we've been told. Probably has to submit a list of X number of teams that he will or won't accept a trade to. The Canucks should just request that list and if he doesn't provide it then he's non-compliant with the contract he signed.

Seriously though, "very reluctant" what kind of ass-hat do you have to be if you want to stay with a team where the management wants to move you and the fans want you gone? I think it says he's a comfy fellow who likes Vancouver and doesn't care about winning because he's content to lose as long as he gets paid to live where he wants to live.

Btw Beta.....I can't find where you got that opinion from Botchford's Twitter.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

It should be mandatory that the details of all NMC, NTC be published, just like salaries, so that we the fans know wtf we are talking about. :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Mëds wrote:
Betamax wrote:The scuttlebutt on twitter via Botchford is that Edler is very reluctant to waive NTC. And given his sub-par season, it really is a sub-optimal time to try to trade him. I think a huge priority would be to assemble a Coaching Staff that has worked with developing Elite Level D-men. It's kinda funny to say it now, but just a couple of years ago, there was glimpses that Edler could crack into the rarified air of being a true No. 1.

With that in mind, two candidates stand out: John Stevens (the alleged chosen one by former GMMG before allegedly being pursuaded by the powers that be to go with Torts) and his help in developing Drew Doughty and the new available Trotz with Shae Weber.
Shea Weber and Alexander Edler never belonged in the same sentence.....unless it was trading Edler as part of an insanely large package going to a Nashville team that wasn't sure they were going to get Weber re-signed.

Edler doesn't have a full NMC or NTC as far as we've been told. Probably has to submit a list of X number of teams that he will or won't accept a trade to. The Canucks should just request that list and if he doesn't provide it then he's non-compliant with the contract he signed.

Seriously though, "very reluctant" what kind of ass-hat do you have to be if you want to stay with a team where the management wants to move you and the fans want you gone? I think it says he's a comfy fellow who likes Vancouver and doesn't care about winning because he's content to lose as long as he gets paid to live where he wants to live.

Btw Beta.....I can't find where you got that opinion from Botchford's Twitter.
via: https://twitter.com/Betamax1080p/status ... 1377537024
Ryan ‏@coachryan82 22h

@botchford Having a disagreement with a friend: Is Alex Edler on record saying he won't waive his NTC? I'm positive he's said it this season
Jason Botchford ‏@botchford 20h

@coachryan82 wasn't that definitive. Said he didn't sign longterm to just waive it. As an aside, he just bought a house etc & very unlikely
Betamax ‏@Betamax1080p

@botchford @coachryan82 Perhaps main "positive" reason to retain Torts (for part of next season), is Edler et al. would waive their NTCs!

9:24 AM - 25 Apr 2014
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:It should be mandatory that the details of all NMC, NTC be published, just like salaries, so that we the fans know wtf we are talking about. :mrgreen:
:lol: agreed.

--

Back to the head coach, our future GM should do a thorough job of interviewing him so they can be on the same page, a good little article about how vital it is for a GM and head coach to get along.. Canucks and the art of the (coaching) hire

snippet.
Typically, MacLean says, when starting the job search a GM will consult with his hockey ops department to ensure they haven't overlooked anyone who might be a fit with their team. There will be incoming calls as well, from agents representing coaches, or even friends of coaches, letting it be known their man wants to be considered.

"The coach-GM relationship is so critical today," MacLean emphasized. "You spend a ton of time together. You spend as much time with that person as you do with anybody so the No. 1 thing is you have to feel comfortable that you could have a relationship with that guy.

"Lots of times you think you can have a relationship and once the guy gets the job, he becomes a little bit different of a person. In the interview process, you say: ‘Man, this guy is easy to talk to. This guy is wonderful. This guy is great.' Then when you hire him, it's, uh, this is not the same guy I thought I was getting."
From the Aquabros -> Linden -> GM -> Head Coach they all got to form Voltron.

Additionally I hope the head coach can hire his own assistants, iirc didn't MG like to hire the assistant coaches as well?
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

SKYO wrote:Additionally I hope the head coach can hire his own assistants, iirc didn't MG like to hire the assistant coaches as well?
Yeah, I think former GMMG had a hand in selecting one of the asst. coaches for his two Coaches. Ryan Walter during the AV era and Gulutzan during the Torts era. BTW, when Walter was let go, did GMMG replace him with another guy?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Betamax wrote:BTW, when Walter was let go, did GMMG replace him with another guy?
Ryan Walter was fired just after Canucks were eliminated by the Hawks (2010) and replaced by Newell Brown.

Rumours were that GMMG had recently offered Walter a 2-year extension

... and then turned around and fired him when Canucks were eliminated.

Rumours at the time indicated Walter was forced to hire a lawyer to negotiate a settlement on that extension.

Do you THINK your Vancouver Canucks made the right decision in replacing Walter with Brown?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I'm sure, at least initially , Linden will be involved in coaching decisions, if only just approving them. I think once he has a team in place he then let's them do their job. At least I hope. Teams like Boston run by committee. I think it is the common way to run a franchise. In this day and age I don't think a lot of decisions are done in isolation.
The only HW the Canucks need
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

The Red Wings would be nuts to fire Babcock, right? RIGHT? The Red Wings have won 9 playoff games in the last 3 seasons...
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

BurningBeard wrote:The Red Wings would be nuts to fire Babcock, right? RIGHT? The Red Wings have won 9 playoff games in the last 3 seasons...
Grabcock
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

BurningBeard wrote:The Red Wings would be nuts to fire Babcock, right? RIGHT? The Red Wings have won 9 playoff games in the last 3 seasons...
Isn't Babcock on nominee for the Jack Adams? Yes, the Wings would be nucking futs to fire him this season.

Remember how Gillis wanted to follow the Detroit model that focuses more on skill? Which, btw, I do like. Ken Holland hasn't really done a great job of filling holes in his lineup over the last few years. Jimmy Howard is an unreliable starting goaltender. Their blueline can't handle some of the tougher forwards. They have too many European players who don't have that extra gear in the post-season. Looks like Gillis actually followed that model closer than anyone realized. :P

While I previously stated I prefer the Detroit model over the Boston approach, that may have been premature, or perhaps a hybrid of the two is better.

The Detroit model that is worth following is their drafting and development of players who aren't elite prospects that are ready to step into the NHL at 18 years old. Gillis didn't follow that model.

Babcock has done a good job with what, on paper, does not look like a great team.....especially considering the injuries to their top players this year.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Mëds wrote:
Isn't Babcock on nominee for the Jack Adams? Yes, the Wings would be nucking futs to fire him this season.
I don't really think they'd fire him either, but he's not nominated for the Jack Adams. Why would he be? The Red Wings barely qualified for the playoffs.
Mëds wrote:The Detroit model that is worth following is their drafting and development of players who aren't elite prospects that are ready to step into the NHL at 18 years old. Gillis didn't follow that model.
I don't think that's a "model". It's simply what every GM in the league attempts to do, including Gillis.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

BurningBeard wrote:
Mëds wrote:
I don't really think they'd fire him either, but he's not nominated for the Jack Adams. Why would he be? The Red Wings barely qualified for the playoffs.
http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/04/07/ ... ams-award/
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

The Wings aren't firing Babcock, but I don't think he'll be a nominee for the Adams, despite the injuries his team sustained this year. Patrick Roy has all but locked up that award, and I would suspect Boudreau (Anaheim), Julien (Boston) and Cooper (Tampa Bay) will all get some consideration.

Obviously we'll have to see what the new GM thinks about our coaching. Torts may be back next season, if we can get him some bodies that better suit his style, or if ownership is unwilling to eat his deal. If he's not, I would hope the Canucks look at Jon Stevens (assistant Los Angeles), Brad Shaw (assistant St Louis) and Mike Johnston (WHL-Portland Head Coach).
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

We're two straight loses for Sharks' Head Coach Todd McLellan possibly being let go. He'd be at the top of list as far as a candidate to take over that role with the Canucks.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Betamax wrote:We're two straight loses for Sharks' Head Coach Todd McLellan possibly being let go. He'd be at the top of list as far as a candidate to take over that role with the Canucks.
Yep. McLellan would be on top of a lot of lists, I figure.