Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Postby Diehard1 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:01 pm

rikster wrote:
I hope it is Benning or some other AGM from another strong team, a guy whose previous ties to the Canucks org are either non-existent or minimal, such as

I've found that you can learn more from mistakes than you do from successes, will Gillis feel that he became a better GM after this season or after the President Cup seasons?...

So I'm not sure hiring a GM like Benning who has worked in one organization only and a winning one at that is as desirable as many feel it is....

If you do, then having an advisor like Quinn would be a must...

What stood out for me with Benning is that he does seem to have the Wally Buono management style which is to not be afraid to move out players before their best date has come, even if it means that player still has a year or two of productive play left rather than trying to move the player after the best date has passed...

As an organization, I think the Nucks have been undermanned in their front office and scouting staff and would like to see them take advantage of their financial wealth to spend some money to bring in more management experience and more eyes scouting prospects...

Take care...

Hey Rikster, been a while. I fully agree that you can't be afraid to trade guys to retool the team, great examples of it in this team are Kesler and Edler. Both guys have lots of hockey left but have good value around the league. This offseason would be the time to trade Kes, Edler maybe not given how horrid he was this year. Might need a year to rebuild his value.

We will see, hopefully Trevor shows he's not afraid to make the difficult decisions.
Diehard1
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby rikster » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:55 am

We will see, hopefully Trevor shows he's not afraid to make the difficult decisions

Hey Die Hard, good to see you again...

I wish we could hear from m peroni to get his thoughts on his Panthers acquiring Luongo, especially considering how highly he thought of Markstrom...

I think Linden's time in the NHLPA showed that he wasn't afraid to make tough decisions along with his time in the business world....

Take care...
rikster
MVP
MVP

Postby Betamax » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:48 am

Betamax wrote:I think his first major on-ice hockey personnel move will be to relieve Coach Torts of his duties.

What say you? 8-)

Surely, it has to be this week! One tidbit that came from Sportsnet's Doug MacLean on the TEAM Radio afternoon Show was that former GMMG buyout was allegedly 50% of what was remaining and Torts was the full 100%. Although Gallagher I believe suggested weeks earlier that Torts' was less than the full 100%. Anyway, whatever it is, I hope potential buyout dollars paid out isn't the determining factor or has influence on the whether he stays or goes.
"The Prodigal Son has returned."
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Meds » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:33 pm

Diehard1 wrote:
Hey Rikster, been a while. I fully agree that you can't be afraid to trade guys to retool the team, great examples of it in this team are Kesler and Edler. Both guys have lots of hockey left but have good value around the league. This offseason would be the time to trade Kes, Edler maybe not given how horrid he was this year. Might need a year to rebuild his value.

Forget that. Get the best deal you can for him right now and let another team take the chance on him. Better than hope he turns it around here and just continues to wallow in mediocrity while getting another year older.
Meds
CC Legend

Postby Todd Bersnoozi » Thu May 01, 2014 6:27 pm

I wonder, if the Nucks don't make the playoffs again after next season, will Trev get the axe? :?
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Betamax » Thu May 01, 2014 6:42 pm

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:I wonder, if the Nucks don't make the playoffs again after next season, will Trev get the axe? :?

He'll get a promotion if they finish with the worst record and draft one of the two supposed 'next one' ... either McDavid, or Eichel.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu May 01, 2014 8:48 pm

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:I wonder, if the Nucks don't make the playoffs again after next season, will Trev get the axe? :?

EASILY one of your better posts. Keep up the " good " work . :lol:
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran

Postby Todd Bersnoozi » Thu May 01, 2014 9:11 pm

Betamax wrote:

He'll get a promotion if they finish with the worst record and draft one of the two supposed 'next one' ... either McDavid, or Eichel.

Yeah, I think that is what we totally need, but I doubt the Aqua-man feels the same way. Bottom line for him it seems is just make the playoffs and keep those revenues coming in.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby rats19 » Thu May 01, 2014 9:14 pm

There are other ways to get those pics...than sucking ass...just saying
You are who you hang with.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Thu May 29, 2014 9:10 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:wow as usual poster mathonwy nailed it . I guess if you consider a foul tip with a rolled up newspaper nailing it. Go back to following boys intramurals handball. You are out of your element regarding hockey talk.

:baaa: :drink:

:lol:
Tell me how my ass tastes.
Blob Mckenzie
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Betamax » Sat May 31, 2014 9:48 am

https://twitter.com/realbrookward/statu ... 2637710337

Brook Ward
‏@realbrookward
Trevor Linden joins me on Sports Weekend tonight at 10pm on @CKNW. #TellaFriend

9:07 AM - 31 May 2014

Probably nothing earth shattering will be revealed but I get a kick of listening to Brook doing some damage in his interviews .............. :mex:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Previous

Return to Canucks Corner Chat