Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Postby Boston Canucker » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:19 am

Benning seems like he'd be a great choice. I'd be all for that.

Another idea, a little more off the wall maybe, but if Lou Lam decides he wants to move on from Brodeur, maybe the Canucks sign him for one year with the understanding that he'll split duties and help mentor Lack, while Markstrom and Ericcson compete for minutes in Utica. Brodeur may well say no go to a west coast team, but at least for me, I'm not comfortable with either just a Lack/Markstrom tandem alone or Lack with an overpaid long term contract say for a Halak type.

Anyway, that will be for Jim Benning to decide :)
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:30 am

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Postby Topper » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:51 am

Mathowny, don't ever change. You are smart enough to breath and that is all you'll ever need. I am sure you are surrounded by competent doctors and nurses to keep you from physically hurting yourself when your arms are untied.

I'm not thrilled with the appointment of Trevor Linden because it reeks of desperation.

Coming out of the lockout, it was obvious the Canucks were against the cap wall through to the end of this season. They were already over the decreased cap and didn't have expiring deals to make the difference.

In hindsight, GMMG should have been brutal with Luongo and jettisoned him for bag of pucks when Roberto's personal life required he move on. he would have been vilified for the bag of pucks he got as a return and I understand his patience while trying to make a hockey deal but the extended baby sitting and loss of CS wasn't any better. All of that is hindsight.

What I could not fathom was the extended deals to aging veterans he continued to hand out. The same deals that got him into cap hell coming out of the lockout. Burrows was the worst. The Sedin's term isn't much better. These deals are the ones that got him into trouble with the shrinking cap.

Was it ownership's demand to make the playoffs that brought in Welsh, Santorelli, Dalpe instead of advancing Gaunce/Horvat/Shrinkwrap in cautiously managed ice time in a throw away season.

The fickle Vancouver fans, the ones that jump on and off the bus with wins and losses, the ones who stand in the crowd waving to the TV cameras while talking on cell phones, the ones who enjoy doing the wave during a 3-2 game late in the third period, will love the Trevor Linden signing.

Don't fool yourself Doc, Trev is more than a figurehead. He'll be driving policy, he'll be deciding on the management personnel, hiring a GM and having a strong input on front office assistants and coaching staffs. His experience with the PA, his years in business and his playing career will all be beneficial. A simple figurehead he will not be.

GM will be an interesting process and it is all about the process.

Torts appears to be out as well. Ownership is willing to go to court to say he wasn't "their" guy, Linden wants to talk to the players. I get the feeling the guys Linden played with, the Sedins, Bieksa and Kesler will have a lot of weight attached to their opinions.

I also worry that those players will have a conduit of communication directly to Linden's office bypassing coach and GM.

This could work out very well, Linden's experience speaks to that but there are also some red flags that need to be answered. The only thing certain is that if this appointment fools fickle season ticket holders it only proves they were born a minute apart.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4552
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Postby Meds » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:51 pm

Topper wrote:What I could not fathom was the extended deals to aging veterans he continued to hand out. The same deals that got him into cap hell coming out of the lockout. Burrows was the worst. The Sedin's term isn't much better. These deals are the ones that got him into trouble with the shrinking cap.


This again?

Complain about Burrows after Callahan gets a new deal in the $6M range and they are producing similar points.

As much as I bitch about the Sedins and their new contracts, if they bounce back to 75-85 points for even 2 more years I won't have much to complain about.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3123
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Postby Strangelove » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:04 pm

Topper wrote:Don't fool yourself Doc, Trev is more than a figurehead. He'll be driving policy, he'll be deciding on the management personnel, hiring a GM and having a strong input on front office assistants and coaching staffs. His experience with the PA, his years in business and his playing career will all be beneficial. A simple figurehead he will not be.


There are varying degrees of "figurehead".

Mathonwy (AKA "Panic Attack) (RIP) goes by the least degree, so the word seemed to have a calming effect

(never forget that the Great Strangelove's prime directive is to help people).

However I spelled out my true definition here:

viewtopic.php?p=199771#p199771

Also I keep saying TL is smart enough, team-player enough to know that he needs advice right now

(he said words to that effect in the presser).

As I say, over time, he will be less & less of a figurehead.

Hiring him was a GREAT PR move for right now, and could possibly turn into a great move period.

If not he eventually walks the plank like Nonis/Gillis etc.... oh well.

Topper wrote:I also worry that those players will have a conduit of communication directly to Linden's office bypassing coach and GM.


This is an interesting and relevant thought.

Although the players with said conduit are all character guys imo, so probably not a negative?

I dunno, we shall see...

Topper wrote:The only thing certain is that if this appointment fools fickle season ticket holders it only proves they were born a minute apart.


OH it will fool them, meaning the expectations will be high.

But they will no doubt be more patient with Figurehead Linden in charge.

Like I say, hiring Linden was a good move.

Personally I would have preferred Clarkie! :thumbs:

... no doubt a lot of the fools and their money would disappear for awhile

... but they'd be back when the winning starts. :wink:
____
"I like to think that this team can get its mojo back" - Ryan Miller
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 6910
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Postby Hockey Widow » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:18 pm

Catch the Q & A with Trevor over at CDC. Barry MacDonald has him on the Q&A for about 38 minutes.

No real revelations, mostly fluff to address the fan base. But boy, it really is refreshing to hear him talk and not be listening to an arrogant, bombastic personality.

It does seem obvious that his candidates are with other teams. Says some he will be able to get permission to speak as soon as the season is over, others as they get eliminated. Then cautions that a candidate may be with a team that goes to the finals so it could be a longer process.

Asked if he would be looking to hire a GM that he has a close, current relationship, he says doubtful. Isn't looking for someone he is currently tight with. Perhaps someone he has had a good relationship in the past, like a former teammate, but through time there is distance.

Sounds like Benning in Boston to me!

Anyway, a fun fluff interview. Although some may cringe when he says he relies a lot on gut feelings!, :oops: :?:

And for the foodies out there, he was asked to bring in Poutine, said alright, he'd definitely look into that!
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3499
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Postby Betamax » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:01 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Catch the Q & A with Trevor over at CDC. Barry MacDonald has him on the Q&A for about 38 minutes.

No real revelations, mostly fluff to address the fan base. But boy, it really is refreshing to hear him talk and not be listening to an arrogant, bombastic personality.

It does seem obvious that his candidates are with other teams. Says some he will be able to get permission to speak as soon as the season is over, others as they get eliminated. Then cautions that a candidate may be with a team that goes to the finals so it could be a longer process.

Asked if he would be looking to hire a GM that he has a close, current relationship, he says doubtful. Isn't looking for someone he is currently tight with. Perhaps someone he has had a good relationship in the past, like a former teammate, but through time there is distance.

Sounds like Benning in Boston to me!

Anyway, a fun fluff interview. Although some may cringe when he says he relies a lot on gut feelings!, :oops: :?:

And for the foodies out there, he was asked to bring in Poutine, said alright, he'd definitely look into that!


Depending on how "active" Trev wants to be in the day to day decision making ... I could see an internal hire with Gilman as the GM if he shares the same "vision" and "profile" of a team that Trev wants. I heard Gilman interviewed, and he comes across as very impressive person when it comes to hockey IQ, and almost as important has a likeable persona ... which is sort of the anti-thesis of what we typically heard when former GMMG was interviewed by the media. There would probably be cost savings as well i.e. if Benning is hired, he might possibly want to hire his own right hand man and clean house etc.. but with Gilman's intimate knowledge being with the team for the past six years, I gotta feeling he'd probably recommend something a lot less than a "scorched earth" policy.
"The Prodigal Son has returned."
User avatar
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1282
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Postby rats19 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:06 pm

Nice having a yakkypants who knows hockey..

Welcome betamax
You are who you hang with.....
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 4554
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over there.....

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Postby dbr » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:14 pm

Look what the cat dragged in.. :lol:
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2478
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Postby Hockey Widow » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:15 pm

Trevor talked about a team of three. A GM and two assistants. I can't really see someone with a current team making a lateral move. Gilman is perfect in the role he has now. Good with the cap, good with contracts and good with other GM's. Henning is well suited to where he is.

I don't preclude the possibility that Gilman gets the job but I get a sense Trevor already has a short list and has a good idea of who he wants. Since he says his first major priority is to get a GM in place I think if Gilman was getting the job he would make that decision now. Again I don't preclude him but I think bringing in someone from the outside, new eyes, new voice, and keeping the two assistants we have is a better model.

But it's all speculation. What you say makes a ton of sense. Something to be excited about as a Canuck fan. :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3499
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Postby Betamax » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:20 pm

dbr wrote:Look what the cat dragged in.. :lol:


You can thank (or blame) the Linden hire, cyber bro dave ... 8-)
"The Prodigal Son has returned."
User avatar
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1282
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Postby Betamax » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:25 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Trevor talked about a team of three. A GM and two assistants. I can't really see someone with a current team making a lateral move. Gilman is perfect in the role he has now. Good with the cap, good with contracts and good with other GM's. Henning is well suited to where he is.

I don't preclude the possibility that Gilman gets the job but I get a sense Trevor already has a short list and has a good idea of who he wants. Since he says his first major priority is to get a GM in place I think if Gilman was getting the job he would make that decision now. Again I don't preclude him but I think bringing in someone from the outside, new eyes, new voice, and keeping the two assistants we have is a better model.

But it's all speculation. What you say makes a ton of sense. Something to be excited about as a Canuck fan. :mrgreen:


I disagree. Naming a GM less than a week of being named head of hockey operations would be bad optics and there would be rightly a perception of not doing his "due diligence."

So they need to go through a process of interviewing several qualified external candidates at a minimum.

If Linden wants to really be "hands-on" and involved in hockey decisions, Gilman with his analytics and CBA background and contract negotiating acumen could provide a near perfect partnership, IMO with Linden.

In that scenario, Linden would be the "new eyes, new voice" to the management group.
"The Prodigal Son has returned."
User avatar
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1282
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Postby ClamRussel » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:07 pm

Betamax wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Trevor talked about a team of three. A GM and two assistants. I can't really see someone with a current team making a lateral move. Gilman is perfect in the role he has now. Good with the cap, good with contracts and good with other GM's. Henning is well suited to where he is.

I don't preclude the possibility that Gilman gets the job but I get a sense Trevor already has a short list and has a good idea of who he wants. Since he says his first major priority is to get a GM in place I think if Gilman was getting the job he would make that decision now. Again I don't preclude him but I think bringing in someone from the outside, new eyes, new voice, and keeping the two assistants we have is a better model.

But it's all speculation. What you say makes a ton of sense. Something to be excited about as a Canuck fan. :mrgreen:


I disagree. Naming a GM less than a week of being named head of hockey operations would be bad optics and there would be rightly a perception of not doing his "due diligence."

So they need to go through a process of interviewing several qualified external candidates at a minimum.

If Linden wants to really be "hands-on" and involved in hockey decisions, Gilman with his analytics and CBA background and contract negotiating acumen could provide a near perfect partnership, IMO with Linden.

In that scenario, Linden would be the "new eyes, new voice" to the management group.


Agreed. TL needs to explore the options and make the best choice possible of all top candidates. It could very well be Gilman who gets the job. What he doesn't need to do is the long drawn out tedious process that they took last summer hiring the coach.
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3565
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Postby SKYO » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:59 pm

on cbc...

Linden referencing boston model - team benning.

he'll be having a talk with quinn soon.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3195
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Postby Strangelove » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:52 pm

Topper wrote:
S_C


Not that there is anything wrong with these sorts of feelings


LOL Mr Archivist! :lol:

... but I suspect these days SC is in love with Horvat. :mrgreen:
____
"I like to think that this team can get its mojo back" - Ryan Miller
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 6910
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Postby Strangelove » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:56 pm

SKYO wrote:on cbc...

Linden referencing boston model - team benning.

he'll be having a talk with quinn soon.


Referenced Boston as far as rolling 4 lines, everyone knowing their roles.

Buh bye Torts.

And yeah, pretty obvious Quinn will be an adviser.

Linden is refreshingly transparent....
____
"I like to think that this team can get its mojo back" - Ryan Miller
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 6910
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests

cron