Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by ukcanuck »

Zedlee wrote:Great move. Linden has cred and respect in this market and a load of goodwill. Loved his first presser...sounded confident and humble. How refreshing.

Among the many moves he will have to make, here's one: dump the stupid whale logo. It's time. Go back to the Stick and Rink as the primary logo and Johnny Canuck as the alternate.
I'm not completely positive, but I am pretty sure that Linden was involved in the design process of that Whale logo
so he might be attached to it, and I disagree with you, just because some computer schmuck was arrogant enough to try to steal an iconic figure like a killer whale doesn't change the fact that Killer whales are identifiable with the west coast of Canada.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

ukcanuck wrote:Call me crazy but, I think from now on it's Trevor "Moses" Linden
Well if he has the entire hockey operations of this franchise in his hands, we'd better hope that all of the fantasizing the Canucks fan base does about this guy (well, most of it :look: ) has some basis in reality..
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Agreed UK. The orca with it's Haida-esque styling is good. Of the modern logos, I think it's one of the better ones. While I like the old rink-stick logo, it's mostly for nostalgic reasons. Remember that the team was mocked for years over that thing... it's not clever. It's just old.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I'm not sold on this. Love Linden, that goes without saying... But if the plan is to make him the Sakic/Neely of the franchise I worry. There's a pretty wide gap between HHOF, universally revered, all-time greats running a franchise vs a player that is special to one franchise's fan base.

It's a sad admission that our franchise has never made it further than a Stanley Cup final. I do think this looks closer to Kevin Lowe than Joe Sakic. Hopefully they go outside the organization for a GM with a proven track record of being a part of managing a Stanley Cup champion.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Cornuck wrote:"Trevor will make all of the hockey decisions"
When it comes down to it it will be, as he says 'be who he surrounds himself with'

I like that he made the call to Pat Quinn, he seeks the right council. He is intelligent enough and has some business acumen.

The GM will be the biggie. Everyone knows the future lies with that decision.

The coach, after that....
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Island Nucklehead wrote:I'm not sold on this. Love Linden, that goes without saying... But if the plan is to make him the Sakic/Neely of the franchise I worry. There's a pretty wide gap between HHOF, universally revered, all-time greats running a franchise vs a player that is special to one franchise's fan base.

It's a sad admission that our franchise has never made it further than a Stanley Cup final. I do think this looks closer to Kevin Lowe than Joe Sakic. Hopefully they go outside the organization for a GM with a proven track record of being a part of managing a Stanley Cup champion.
Kevin Lowe has won 6 Stanley Cups, more than Sakic & Neely. You make no sense whatsoever.

Linden is all we got. He loves the team, that's the key to the other former greats too. They love their team, bleed their colours. Cyclone Taylor is dead so we go with the best face for the franchise in the community.
No more arrogance. No more living on others work. It will be a hard business to move forward but I think they have the right guy on top.
Let's see who he picks as GM before we pass judgement shall we?
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Probability of this happening?
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Island Nucklehead wrote:I'm not sold on this. Love Linden, that goes without saying... But if the plan is to make him the Sakic/Neely of the franchise I worry. There's a pretty wide gap between HHOF, universally revered, all-time greats running a franchise vs a player that is special to one franchise's fan base.

Kevin Lowe is an dickhead, Joe Sakic is not....

You're saying that Trev is closer to Lowe than Sakic on that scale?

...I think you are closer to Lowe on that scale..
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Arachnid.. sounds like you've already drunk the koolaid.

Good for you.

You must be a very happy person.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

No wait mathonwy is closer than island nuck on the lowe scale :)
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

ukcanuck wrote:No wait mathonwy is closer than island nuck on the lowe scale :)
I don't even know what that means.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

mathonwy wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:No wait mathonwy is closer than island nuck on the lowe scale :)
I don't even know what that means.
it means you dont like koolaid...who doesnt like koolaid? its one of the main food groups like kraft dinner.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

I'll reserve my first judgment on this move until I see Linden's GM hire. This could work, but I'm not going to get wrapped up in the early hype. I was hoping Nicholson would be part of the mgmt team, that would have made me more comfortable about experience in hockey management. But, hey, we'll give Trev a go at it. One concern I do have is being too loyal to long time Canucks scouts and the scouting organization. Clearly, that needs to be turned over, shaken upside down, and re-done as a scouting team. I hope he gets one of these young asst GM's that have strong scouting creds. For once, the Canucks need to be getting this draft and development right, and consistently.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

First change after the GM is hired is to move Smyl out of his role as Director of Player Development.

Gilman should keep his job, maybe lose the Asst. GM title, but definitely be the financial guy concerned with CBA and cap management.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Puck wrote:Agreed UK. The orca with it's Haida-esque styling is good. Of the modern logos, I think it's one of the better ones. While I like the old rink-stick logo, it's mostly for nostalgic reasons. Remember that the team was mocked for years over that thing... it's not clever. It's just old.
The Red Wing, Bruins B and Rangers uniforms are "old" but so what...they are simple and classic and have stood the test of time. The Stick and Rink to me fits in very well with the classic logos and I don't ever recall the stick and rink being mocked. The downhill skate and the yellow/black V was certainly scorned, with good reason.

If anything, Johnny Canuck is more representative of a "canuck" than a whale...a tough, hockey playing logger says "BC" more than any orca ever could. A logo should have a tie in to the team name or sport of hockey...and the orca has nothing to do with either. I will never buy anthing with that piece of crap on it.