Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Legend
Posts: 3888
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by ukcanuck »

Passionate and keeps coming back.
As meatloaf said, "two out of three ain't bad"
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 27529
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote: I get being skeptical about Linden's ability to assemble a top notch hockey ops department, and I share it as a matter of fact.
I dunno, Linden was using the word we a lot in the presser.

I think one of the positives here is that folks will be interested in working with someone like Linden.

He's pleasant, yet demands hard work and competence.

I think that top management guys in the game today might choo-choo-choose us in part because of Linden.

Linden would be fun to work with if your goal is to work hard towards winning the Stanley Cup.

He is well respected throughout the league (as are Gilman and Henning imo).

Linden is smart enough to accept input from Gilman/Henning on who to bring in

.... then has the charm/charisma/level-of-respect to pull it off.
dbr wrote: That said it's pretty obvious that ownership of this franchise likes to get involved in anything even remotely "big picture" so if you don't like inexperienced types affecting the fortunes of your hockey club then they are the real problem here.
I think it's pretty obvious that ownership has received the message and is prepared to back off.

I mean they'd have to be complete idiots not to at this point amirite? :mex:

Or maybe I'm just too damned positive? :mrgreen:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 11931
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote:Having said all that, he has a rare passion for the team.

And he seems to acknowledge his faults.

I think that over time we can... mould... young Mathonwy into a fine poster indeed.

Work with us Math! :thumbs:
It's like developing a rookie!

Just gotta chill math! 8-)
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 11931
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by SKYO »

dbr wrote:I get being skeptical about Linden's ability to assemble a top notch hockey ops department, and I share it as a matter of fact.

That said it's pretty obvious that ownership of this franchise likes to get involved in anything even remotely "big picture" so if you don't like inexperienced types affecting the fortunes of your hockey club then they are the real problem here.
Yeah the Aquabros just need to step back a bit, well at least now they got their middle man in place, so as it will always appear that they are out of the picture.

I'd just like a bit more experience in the GM department now with some qualified adviser's, enough with these experiments, if they want to sell tickets and put butt's back in the seats, they need to build a winner, everyone loves a winner and to do that they need a GM whose connected and respected in the league plus no pushover, so he can finally make some good deals with all these sharks of GM's everywhere.

And to me that's Benning, he's learned for awhile under the tutelage of Chiarelli, has had good scouting experience, he's primed for a leader role now.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 16062
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote:
And to me that's Benning, he's learned for awhile under the tutelage of Chiarelli, has had good scouting experience, he's primed for a leader role now.

Benning has often been described as the real brains in Boston with Chiarelli being the face and the negotiator. Chiarelli strengths are in contracts, trades and dealing with the media/public.

Benning however is said to be a genius in finding talent, drafting and team building. He is the man that understands team chemistry. He understands player development and has an eagle eye for talent. He is also said to not like the spotlight.

His comments the other day lead me to conclude that he is ready to take that step and become GM. With the Canucks keeping Henning, Gilman and that would give them a very good mix.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Arachnid
CC Legend
Posts: 6177
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin
Contact:

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by Arachnid »

Hockey Widow wrote:
SKYO wrote:
And to me that's Benning, he's learned for awhile under the tutelage of Chiarelli, has had good scouting experience, he's primed for a leader role now.

Benning has often been described as the real brains in Boston with Chiarelli being the face and the negotiator. Chiarelli strengths are in contracts, trades and dealing with the media/public.

Benning however is said to be a genius in finding talent, drafting and team building. He is the man that understands team chemistry. He understands player development and has an eagle eye for talent. He is also said to not like the spotlight.

His comments the other day lead me to conclude that he is ready to take that step and become GM. With the Canucks keeping Henning, Gilman and that would give them a very good mix.
He is a Canuck alumni (we'll conveniently forget who else he played for ;) ) and lives in Oregon in the off-season...

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Do it President Trev!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
User avatar
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:39 am

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by KeyserSoze »

Hockey Widow wrote:
SKYO wrote:
And to me that's Benning, he's learned for awhile under the tutelage of Chiarelli, has had good scouting experience, he's primed for a leader role now.
Benning has often been described as the real brains in Boston with Chiarelli being the face and the negotiator. Chiarelli strengths are in contracts, trades and dealing with the media/public.

Benning however is said to be a genius in finding talent, drafting and team building. He is the man that understands team chemistry. He understands player development and has an eagle eye for talent. He is also said to not like the spotlight.

His comments the other day lead me to conclude that he is ready to take that step and become GM. With the Canucks keeping Henning, Gilman and that would give them a very good mix.
Who is the President of the Boston Bruins again?

Oh ya....Sea Bass

That...

(an ex-player President, with league-wide respect, who clearly understands the game very well, with no previous pro hockey-ops experience, surrounded by a diverse mix of other great hockey/business minds)

...worked out pretty well for them.
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 16062
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by Hockey Widow »

Arachnid wrote:
He is a Canuck alumni (we'll conveniently forget who else he played for ;) ) and lives in Oregon in the off-season...

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Do it President Trev!
I remember him well as a Leaf draftee. Was a solid D'man for the Buds. One of my favs over the years. Smart hockey player.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 7907
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by Meds »

mathonwy wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: The reason you are a moron ...
If you can't present a logical argument without insulting the other side then.... maybe you should go have a debate with RD.
Ummm.....that was better cherry picking of a quoted post than I have seen in a long time around here. RD and Doc would be proud.

Uk DID present a logical argument.....a very logical one that was full of things that made perfect sense.

The insult is all you focus on and reply to.....but that is because you don't have an answer to any of the logical and well phrased questions he put to you.....after he called you a moron of course.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 7907
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote:
mathonwy wrote: Strange,

What exactly is your argument because it sounds like you are arguing for the sake of arguing.

Do you have a point?
My point was that you completely miss/ignore most everyone's points, no matter how well stated.

As a matter of fact, it's happening again RIGHT NOW.

You say: "Do you have a point?".... in response to me laying out my points succinctly. :roll:

This is why, after a while folks feel they are wasting time talking to you.

They get frustrated/angry you're ignoring/trolling and ask if "you're 2" or "how far your head is up your ass".

Those are somewhat impolite ways of saying you are as deaf as a brick wall.

WHY DO YOU THINK FOLKS KEEP SAYING THIS?

IS IT POSSIBLE YOU ARE MISSING SOMETHING?

Why are you deaf to most of what your fellow debaters are saying.

Every. Word. In. This. Sentence. Sounds. Like. WHOOSH. To. You. Amirite?

You. Need. Help.
To the point as always Doc.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 12002
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by Topper »

On a magical night in 1988, our eyes met across a crowded rink, and I knew right away that that young lad you all know as Trevor Linden would be my one and only forbidden love. And it was when he put away his 30th goal that rookie season, he set up shop in that long forgotten, lonely place --- my heart.

I could hardly beleive it when our evil nemesis, Brian Leetch, ruined our Calder celebration... I had to return all of the party hats (they wouldn't take back the T.L. + S_C monogramed napkins). To spite him and the Eastern bias, there were 7 glorious points in 7 glorious playoff games - just as T.L. turned 19!

Together we struggled to build the team, and after True Love's (that's what I get to call him) 3rd 30 goal season in 91/92, we had our first visit to the second round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs since the 1982 playoff run. But little did I know what was in store...

That magical 93/94 season, Oh that magical 93/94 season. How can I ever repay you T.L.? After turning in his 5th 30 goal season, T.L. put the Canucks on his back, and carried them all the way to game 7 against NYR. But once again the Evil Leetch reared his ugly head - squashed our dreams, stole our Cup, and took our Conn Smythe trophy... and ushered in the dark era.

O Keenan, harbinger of death, how do I loath thee?

February 6, 1998. There, I said it. And we will never speak of it again.

T.L., forgive me - I had to take a mistress. How can you blame me? I could not help myself, with his flowing locks, and sweet wrist shot. Oh Markus. But I continued to long for T.L. --- bah, Islanders, Canadiens, Capitals --- I spit on you.

But - could this be? Yesssss! November 10, 2001 we are reunited! Oh T.L. how I've missed you - fresh off the Canucks' promising return to the playoffs against Colorado, my hero is back! Come to me, my True Love!

What is this? There is a darkness falling over the land, a creeping evil full of greed and trickery --- and it shall be known as the Lockout. But who was there to rescue me from this abyss, the edge of the annihilation of Hockey, with his gorgeous Van Dyke, and determined look.......?

My True Love! Championing all that is good and right! Standing up for the good of all, and saving the day.

O how wondrous art thou, my glorious saviour of Hockey.

Ahem... unsure.gif

S_C
Not that there is anything wrong with these sorts of feelings
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
kelowna kanuck
CC Veteran
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:17 am

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by kelowna kanuck »

Enough already about this Linden is not qualified BS! Question: Would you rather have a Westpoint trained Colonel who has all the strategies and theorys down, and got an A on his final exam,but has never been in action? or a Captain(pun totally intended) who has actually been on the battlefield for 20 years, knows his team mates and his enemies equally well, has won battles, is a leader, knows what it feels to win, knows what it feels to lose, and is competitive and driven.
I will take the latter 100 out of 100 times.
Don't draw conclusions about Linden's abilities based on the superficial argument that he simply has not done it before.
Obviously, the only area off the start that he would be lacking in, would be the intricacies of things such as contract law, cap space calcs, etc etc... That is why he has, and will surround himself with people who can counsel on that.
And at the same time, do NOT underestimate the atmosphere and culture of teamwork, and integrity that he will bring. Anyone who doubts that will happen, truly is a fucking moron.
ktown out.
more cap space!
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 816
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:30 am

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by Boston Canucker »

Benning seems like he'd be a great choice. I'd be all for that.

Another idea, a little more off the wall maybe, but if Lou Lam decides he wants to move on from Brodeur, maybe the Canucks sign him for one year with the understanding that he'll split duties and help mentor Lack, while Markstrom and Ericcson compete for minutes in Utica. Brodeur may well say no go to a west coast team, but at least for me, I'm not comfortable with either just a Lack/Markstrom tandem alone or Lack with an overpaid long term contract say for a Halak type.

Anyway, that will be for Jim Benning to decide :)
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 12002
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by Topper »

Mathowny, don't ever change. You are smart enough to breath and that is all you'll ever need. I am sure you are surrounded by competent doctors and nurses to keep you from physically hurting yourself when your arms are untied.

I'm not thrilled with the appointment of Trevor Linden because it reeks of desperation.

Coming out of the lockout, it was obvious the Canucks were against the cap wall through to the end of this season. They were already over the decreased cap and didn't have expiring deals to make the difference.

In hindsight, GMMG should have been brutal with Luongo and jettisoned him for bag of pucks when Roberto's personal life required he move on. he would have been vilified for the bag of pucks he got as a return and I understand his patience while trying to make a hockey deal but the extended baby sitting and loss of CS wasn't any better. All of that is hindsight.

What I could not fathom was the extended deals to aging veterans he continued to hand out. The same deals that got him into cap hell coming out of the lockout. Burrows was the worst. The Sedin's term isn't much better. These deals are the ones that got him into trouble with the shrinking cap.

Was it ownership's demand to make the playoffs that brought in Welsh, Santorelli, Dalpe instead of advancing Gaunce/Horvat/Shrinkwrap in cautiously managed ice time in a throw away season.

The fickle Vancouver fans, the ones that jump on and off the bus with wins and losses, the ones who stand in the crowd waving to the TV cameras while talking on cell phones, the ones who enjoy doing the wave during a 3-2 game late in the third period, will love the Trevor Linden signing.

Don't fool yourself Doc, Trev is more than a figurehead. He'll be driving policy, he'll be deciding on the management personnel, hiring a GM and having a strong input on front office assistants and coaching staffs. His experience with the PA, his years in business and his playing career will all be beneficial. A simple figurehead he will not be.

GM will be an interesting process and it is all about the process.

Torts appears to be out as well. Ownership is willing to go to court to say he wasn't "their" guy, Linden wants to talk to the players. I get the feeling the guys Linden played with, the Sedins, Bieksa and Kesler will have a lot of weight attached to their opinions.

I also worry that those players will have a conduit of communication directly to Linden's office bypassing coach and GM.

This could work out very well, Linden's experience speaks to that but there are also some red flags that need to be answered. The only thing certain is that if this appointment fools fickle season ticket holders it only proves they were born a minute apart.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 7907
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote: What I could not fathom was the extended deals to aging veterans he continued to hand out. The same deals that got him into cap hell coming out of the lockout. Burrows was the worst. The Sedin's term isn't much better. These deals are the ones that got him into trouble with the shrinking cap.
This again?

Complain about Burrows after Callahan gets a new deal in the $6M range and they are producing similar points.

As much as I bitch about the Sedins and their new contracts, if they bounce back to 75-85 points for even 2 more years I won't have much to complain about.
Post Reply