Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 16164
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by Hockey Widow »

BurningBeard wrote:
mathonwy wrote:But seriously, what kind of experience does Linden have in HIRING a general manager?
More relevant experience then Aquaman ever had.

ROFL.

Best response yet!!!
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 665
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:12 am
Location: in the ainus

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
dbr wrote:Did Jodi cut one or something?
Jody doesn't do that! :evil:

And if she did it would smell like roses.

Butt seriously Dave, the reason for dat dere is men are afraid of getting too close to her in a public setting

(boners can be awkward sometimes).

At least that's my guess. :look:

So that's why no one sits near me when I go out! All this time my psychiatrist told me it was a hygiene issue. I kept telling him a shower once a month was fine. Anything else was a waste of water. And why put clean underwear on everyday? It only makes the laundry pile up!

Thanks for the insight.

a little vinegar in that H2O works...
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 28343
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by Strangelove »

BurningBeard wrote:
mathonwy wrote:But seriously, what kind of experience does Linden have in HIRING a general manager?
More relevant experience then Aquaman ever had.
Truth.

Sometimes "the poster" is a drama quean.

Sometimes "the poster" thinks "the poster" knows who to hire as a GM

... and yet somehow the great Trevor Linden does not! :crazy:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
User avatar
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by BurningBeard »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Yeah, I think with bure and trevor, trevor was kind of the franchise/star player until bure came along. bure became the new golden child of the franchise and trevor was probably a bit jealous, although trevor was always professional about it and never said anything bad. I can see that the personalities didn't really match too. bure was more individualistic, trevor was more of the team guy.
Trevor Linden scored his first hat trick in a game against the Minnesota North Stars, about a month into his rookie season. The Canucks ended up losing that game 7-6. The first thing he did after the lose was walk into the dressing room and smash his stick into pieces. Remember, this was when he was 18 years old. Can you see Bure ever doing that? Not to bad mouth Bure, he stands on his own, but that's the difference. That's also why he's in his current position.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
User avatar
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP
Posts: 5116
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: On wide shoulders...

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by Carl Yagro »

BurningBeard wrote:
mathonwy wrote:But seriously, what kind of experience does Linden have in HIRING a general manager?
More relevant experience then Aquaman ever had.
Zinger :lol:

Will mathonwy now go on and on about Shanny's experience to run a hockey club now?
Try to focus on THIS year... again
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Legend
Posts: 3779
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by Jovocop »

black ace wrote:The last few years we have all heard the stories from the media on how the Canucks were hated around the league. Now the stories start coming out about Gillis' arrogance. Not really a shock to anyone who watched his time here begin with his criticism of the quality of the team he had acquired.

We hear stories about how Gillis has a hard time making deals with other GM's (other than FLA) like the alleged deal with Toronto last year and you start to realize that perhaps it wasnt the rest of the league screwing the Canucks over for no reason but perhaps the team had acquired the label in part because of the man in charge.
I am not here to defend MG but I thought Ken Hitchcock had already answered the question why the Canucks were hate around the league.

Besides trading with Florida, MG did make the following trades:

- Ottawa (Shannon <-> Nycholat)
- Buffalo (picks <-> Bernier)
- Tampa Bay (Krajicek <-> O'Brien)
- San Jose (White <-> Ehrhoff)
- Nashville (O'Brien <-> Parent)
- Anaheim (pick <-> Lapierre)
- Buffalo (Hodgson <-> Kassian)
- Columbus (picks <-> Pahlsson)
- Dallas (picks <-> Roy)
- New Jersey (Schneider <-> pick)
- Carolina (Tochkin ,_> Dalpe)
- Montreal (Weise <-> Diaz)
- New York (Diaz <-> pick)

Lowe is the only GM that publicly said that he would not deal with MG. The other GM that dislikes MG would be Nonis for a very apparent reason.
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
Posts: 3992
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by ClamRussel »

BurningBeard wrote:Trevor Linden scored his first hat trick in a game against the Minnesota North Stars, about a month into his rookie season. The Canucks ended up losing that game 7-6. The first thing he did after the lose was walk into the dressing room and smash his stick into pieces. Remember, this was when he was 18 years old. Can you see Bure ever doing that? Not to bad mouth Bure, he stands on his own, but that's the difference. That's also why he's in his current position.
I recall Bure celebrating like he won the Cup when he scored the long Canuck goal in the 3rd of a 10-1 loss to the Avalanche. Funny how those dark days felt eerily similar to this season. McLean allowed a floater from the boards out at the bluleine. It was a brutal time and all the trades were soon to follow. There was Bure jumping up & down into the embrace of Messier.

I really think the Canucks should hire Quinn as an advisor to Linden. Put ol' Pat back on the payroll and he could do some public appearances from time to time. Linden's going to be calling him for advice anyways. That would sort of help make up for the face TL hasn't apprenticed at all like Neely, Francis or Yzerman did or continue to do so. Its a different era but I'm sure Pat could still offer insight and direction plus additional connections can't hurt.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
User avatar
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2108
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by mathonwy »

BurningBeard wrote:
mathonwy wrote:But seriously, what kind of experience does Linden have in HIRING a general manager?
More relevant experience then Aquaman ever had.
:lol:

Good one.
User avatar
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2108
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by mathonwy »

Strangelove wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:
mathonwy wrote:But seriously, what kind of experience does Linden have in HIRING a general manager?
More relevant experience then Aquaman ever had.
Truth.

Sometimes "the poster" is a drama quean.
IE. Sometimes math is too emotional and is making a big deal out of nothing.

Quite a shitty argument there strange. You're taking my enthusiasm and passion as a Canuck fan and applying it to my strictly logical argument of Trevor Linden doesn't have sufficient hockey management acumen and was the wrong choice to put out the dumpster fire that is the Vancouver Canucks.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but it's a strawman argument. I'm presenting strictly logical business arguments. You're disregarding all of my points and presenting your own "oh math's a drama quean" argument.

You lose here.

Strangelove wrote: Sometimes "the poster" thinks "the poster" knows who to hire as a GM
IE. If you haven't been the president of hockey ops on a hockey team, then you have no right to criticize anyone.

LOL. You know how ridiculous you sound? Arachnid uses this EXACT same type of reasoning. He's a little bit more flowery with his language though.
Arachnid wrote:
What are you? 2?

You know nothing.

What have you accomplished in your short miserable life?

Other than the occasional funny. 8-)
:lol: You guys know absolutely NOTHING about me and my qualifications. You have no idea what I've accomplished nor do you guys have any idea what my education is. Either the arguments that I'm presenting are illogical (and if they were, you'd refute them with logic) or you don't understand my arguments and instead, you come back with a personal insult.

Strangelove wrote: ... and yet somehow the great Trevor Linden does not! :crazy:
Why does Trevor Linden get a pass when it comes to being appointed president of a company?
User avatar
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2108
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by mathonwy »

Hank wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:
mathonwy wrote:But seriously, what kind of experience does Linden have in HIRING a general manager?
More relevant experience then Aquaman ever had.
Zinger :lol:

Will mathonwy now go on and on about Shanny's experience to run a hockey club now?
Oh Hank.. you know how ridiculous YOU sound now?

It really is a bit of a old boys club in here from time to time.

Boys will be boys I guess. :)
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 11221
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over here.....

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by rats19 »

He saved the league..he has smarts..he is a former nhl'er...he is loved by BC fans..

He has no president of hockey ops experience whatsoever... But he does know hockey inside and out.

So your argument is correct..but you do not allow for the qualities he does bring. Which to me is more than job specific experience
Getting old is not for the young...
User avatar
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2108
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by mathonwy »

rats19 wrote:He saved the league..he has smarts..he is a former nhl'er...he is loved by BC fans..

He has no president of hockey ops experience whatsoever... But he does know hockey inside and out.

So your argument is correct..but you do not allow for the qualities he does bring. Which to me is more than job specific experience
All I'm doing is asking questions ratski. :)

And the more people challenge (and insult) me, the more I will defend my right to ask questions (and call people out on their bullshit). Logical questions about Linden's fitness (wot?) to be the president of hockey operations of an extremely complex organization that is the Vancouver Canucks.

Linden from a marketing stand point is a good choice because it gives Canuck fans a lot of hope because the Linden brand elicits a tonne of positive emotions. But marketing is not enough for me. Marketing is just window dressing. Like many here have said, only time will tell if this is a good decision. I'm hoping it is.

But personally speaking, I'd rather not have a rookie at the helm of my Vancouver Canucks cutting his proverbial teeth. I'd rather have someone that has been there, done that and gotten a few t-shirts out of it. That's just me.
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 11221
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over here.....

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by rats19 »

Fair enough mathonwy.. But you're question infer negativity towards him.

To me unless we get one of only a hanfull of guys who have had true success this might be a good score as that hsndfull won't be going anywhere and otherwise it would be more of the same ol same ol from the remaining possible candidates.

I know you what him to succeed as it bodes well for all of us.

I believe this is the start of a dynasty. Might take a few years...3... But we will be a dynasty and will obtain 2 cups in the next 8 years... :drink:
Getting old is not for the young...
User avatar
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2108
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by mathonwy »

rats19 wrote:Fair enough mathonwy.. But you're question infer negativity towards him.
AND THAT IS WHAT SUCKS ABOUT IT ALL RATSKI.

I'm being completely serious about that.

Questioning Trevor Linden's ability to be president infers that I'm Anti-Linden purely because of the fact that he is Trevor Linden.

Me asking questions makes people want to defend their "image" of who Trevor Linden is.

Trevor Linden should not be given a free pass on anything. Yes, he's a community icon but running a hockey team is serious business and I hope he's got good reliable counsel to help him out with his tough decisions.

And of course I want him to succeed. :)

But the more people challenge my arguments, the more I will defend them and unfortunately, I end up looking like an anti-Lindite. Such is life.

Image
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 11221
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over here.....

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by rats19 »

The 2 cups in 8 years will cheer you up.... :mrgreen:
Getting old is not for the young...
Post Reply