Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rikster
MVP
MVP

Re: Linden named President of Hockey Ops

Post by rikster »

It means that so far some people are going on that now we have Linden the team will turn around. No it wont unless their are some changes to the core. Well Duuuh or maybe I should clarify this better for you? Maybe you thought about it to long and thought there was some hidden meaning? Take up Yoga if you want that
Not sure who these people are who think hiring a President of Hockey Operations is all the team needs to do to turn things around, or if I would bother worrying about the odd person who may feel that way...

But since the poster responded to my post in which I made it very clear that I didn't feel that way, I still don't get what your point is?

Hidden messages and Yoga....

Interesting....
ukcanuck
CC Legend

Post by ukcanuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:I've been reading/hearing that Trevor has had a lot of polarizing type relationships in the past. Bure, Naslund, Messier and others have been mentioned as players he does not respect or like. Also that he has alienated MG in the past etc.

I don't know the history. Can someone enlighten me as to all of this.
I remember the rumour that linden and Bure didn't like each other much. Bure appears kinda flakey to me but I have nothing to base that on except rumour and impression.

Does anyone like mark messier other than mark messier? Maybe the wayner or probably that Lowe schmuck...

Don't know about Naslund, but I always wondered why he wasn't more vocal in defence of Bertuzzi...
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Arachnid wrote:
Um, I was drinking bitter hopped beer last night. :roll:

I just don't like BS.
You stated he was only every an employee and it is simply not true.
If you have a logical argument then state it but for now, it stinks.
Nothing personal at all. Don't be tho thenthative.

Maybe you matured, grew some brain cells and and were blessed with wisdom in your sleep?!

:P
If you want me to respond to your posts, it's probably best not to insult me. I haven't insulted you so I kinda expect the same type of courtesy. Questioning ones intelligence and maturity and then insulting one typically has the opposite effect of whatever you're trying to accomplish. And whats a "thenthative"?

President of the NHLPA is an elected position where you aren't managing people, more, you are managing a process. Sort of like being president of the strata council. The NHLPA president can't hire or fire people (that I know of) and is accountable to every other NHL player in the league. As well, the NHLPA is not an extremely complex for-profit private organization with a rabid fanbase. It's a union designed to protect the players.

I still maintain my stance that Trevor's been a hockey employee all of his professional career and putting a noob in charge of a team that is an ownership-induced dumpster fire doesn't maximize the probability of a successful rebuild. Trevor has not performed a single high level function in a hockey operation. (http://canucks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=39578 and suddenly, he's making decisions on marketing, communications and finances?

I'm optimistic (because it's Trevor fucking Linden) but ultimately, nothing I can do but hope that the dumpster fire doesn't turn into a 5 alarm blaze.

edit.

But seriously, what kind of experience does Linden have in HIRING a general manager? He has no frame of reference to base any of his decisions on aside from those told to him by his fellow executives. He has not made any mistakes nor has he seen others make mistakes because this is his first kick at the hockey management can. I sincerely hope Aquaman knows what he's doing.
ukcanuck
CC Legend

Post by ukcanuck »

mathonwy wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
Um, I was drinking bitter hopped beer last night. :roll:

I just don't like BS.
You stated he was only every an employee and it is simply not true.
If you have a logical argument then state it but for now, it stinks.
Nothing personal at all. Don't be tho thenthative.

Maybe you matured, grew some brain cells and and were blessed with wisdom in your sleep?!

:P
If you want me to respond to your posts, it's probably best not to insult me. I haven't insulted you so I kinda expect the same type of courtesy. Questioning ones intelligence and maturity and then insulting one typically has the opposite effect of whatever you're trying to accomplish. And whats a "thenthative"?

President of the NHLPA is an elected position where you aren't managing people, more, you are managing a process. Sort of like being president of the strata council. The NHLPA president can't hire or fire people (that I know of) and is accountable to every other NHL player in the league. As well, the NHLPA is not an extremely complex for-profit private organization with a rabid fanbase. It's a union designed to protect the players.

I still maintain my stance that Trevor's been a hockey employee all of his professional career and putting a noob in charge of a team that is an ownership-induced dumpster fire doesn't maximize the probability of a successful rebuild. Trevor has not performed a single high level function in a hockey operation. (http://canucks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=39578 and suddenly, he's making decisions on marketing, communications and finances?

I'm optimistic (because it's Trevor fucking Linden) but ultimately, nothing I can do but hope that the dumpster fire doesn't turn into a 5 alarm blaze.

edit.

But seriously, what kind of experience does Linden have in HIRING a general manager? He has no frame of reference to base any of his decisions on aside from those told to him by his fellow executives. He has not made any mistakes nor has he seen others make mistakes because this is his first kick at the hockey management can. I sincerely hope Aquaman knows what he's doing.
Holy crap, for a guy who doesn't want to be insulted you sure spew chunks of illogical garbage like a drunk bar slut spews minestrone soup at 4 am .

Hahaha
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

ukcanuck wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:I've been reading/hearing that Trevor has had a lot of polarizing type relationships in the past. Bure, Naslund, Messier and others have been mentioned as players he does not respect or like. Also that he has alienated MG in the past etc.

I don't know the history. Can someone enlighten me as to all of this.
I remember the rumour that linden and Bure didn't like each other much. Bure appears kinda flakey to me but I have nothing to base that on except rumour and impression.

Does anyone like mark messier other than mark messier? Maybe the wayner or probably that Lowe schmuck...

Don't know about Naslund, but I always wondered why he wasn't more vocal in defence of Bertuzzi...
Yeah, I think with bure and trevor, trevor was kind of the franchise/star player until bure came along. bure became the new golden child of the franchise and trevor was probably a bit jealous, although trevor was always professional about it and never said anything bad. I can see that the personalities didn't really match too. bure was more individualistic, trevor was more of the team guy.

Mess and Trevor - well there was that incident when mess elbowed trevor with that cheap shot (2X?)in game #6 of the 94 series. When Mess came to Van-city, trevor gave him the C. When asked about the incident and if the two can get along, trevor was nice and made a joke about it; Mess didn't really comment. Then Keenan came on board, I think he ripped trevor after a game and Mess did nothing about it. The team became divided, the pro-linden camp and the pro-mess/keenan camp.

Nasi and Trevor - that I don't know much about. They always seemed like good mates. Nasi was pretty happy when Trevor came back and said good things about him. I'm pretty sure Trevor was @ Nasi's # retirement ceremony, but NOT @ bure's, which I think says alot. Well, Nasi was pretty close to Bert, while I don't think Trevor was, which might have something to do with it.

MG and Trevor - yeah, i heard that before too. When Nonis was out, MG had no intention to bring Trevor back. I think a big reason why Trevor was more than happy to step away from the franchise. If Nonis was still around, he probably would of hired Trevor as an adviser or assistant-president right off the bat. Maybe MG tried to recruit Trevor when he was a junior player and trevor decided to go with a different guy. Maybe MG didn't agree with what Trevor did with the NHLPA, not sure. Would luv to hear if anyone knows.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

ukcanuck wrote:
Holy crap, for a guy who doesn't want to be insulted you sure spew chunks of illogical garbage like a drunk bar slut spews minestrone soup at 4 am .

Hahaha
Cool story bro.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

i'm good with Trevor...he is one of us...apparently we are all Canucks...
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

The last few years we have all heard the stories from the media on how the Canucks were hated around the league. Now the stories start coming out about Gillis' arrogance. Not really a shock to anyone who watched his time here begin with his criticism of the quality of the team he had acquired.

We hear stories about how Gillis has a hard time making deals with other GM's (other than FLA) like the alleged deal with Toronto last year and you start to realize that perhaps it wasnt the rest of the league screwing the Canucks over for no reason but perhaps the team had acquired the label in part because of the man in charge.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Trevor's first act? Sent a letter to season ticket holders offering a full, 100%, refund of the FULL deposit, by July 11th if the ticket holders are not happy with the direction the team has taken by then. If they don't like the personnel choices, draft or FA signings they can get a full refund.

So the PR campaign and drive to get season ticket sales up has commenced in full. Sales must be very soft for them to offer this.

Oh, and there will be a private web cast Q&A for this elite group, held prior to July11th.

Kinda cheesy but I like it!
The only HW the Canucks need
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Is there a waiting list for season's tickets?
2021 - Playoff Bound
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

rikster wrote: But since the poster responded to my post in which I made it very clear that I didn't feel that way, I still don't get what your point is?
Rikster, if you would be so kind as to include name of "the poster" you are quoting

... it would be much appreciated. :thumbs:

It would help others follow conversations easier, and you would come off as less of a pompous prick.

Not saying you are arrogant, just that you tend to appear somewhat arrogant.

The Great Strangelove despises arrogance!!!

Your cooperation in this regard would be greatly appreciated...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote:Did Jodi cut one or something?
Jody doesn't do that! :evil:

And if she did it would smell like roses.

Butt seriously Dave, the reason for dat dere is men are afraid of getting too close to her in a public setting

(boners can be awkward sometimes).

At least that's my guess. :look:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Cornuck wrote:Is there a waiting list for season's tickets?

Yes. But retention of an existing client base is always your first priority. When someone has had tickets for 10, 15, 20 years is not renewing or sitting on the fence you know it's bad.

Frankly I think our crowd sucks anyway. Quiet, using cell phones and plain apathetic . A new fan base may be what they need but I guess the pool of folks who can actually afford tickets is limited.

I have heard that some pretty influential, big name, long time holders have not renewed and the feedback has been show me how you fix it first. So I think this is in response to that feedback.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

mathonwy wrote:But seriously, what kind of experience does Linden have in HIRING a general manager?
More relevant experience then Aquaman ever had.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:
dbr wrote:Did Jodi cut one or something?
Jody doesn't do that! :evil:

And if she did it would smell like roses.

Butt seriously Dave, the reason for dat dere is men are afraid of getting too close to her in a public setting

(boners can be awkward sometimes).

At least that's my guess. :look:

So that's why no one sits near me when I go out! All this time my psychiatrist told me it was a hygiene issue. I kept telling him a shower once a month was fine. Anything else was a waste of water. And why put clean underwear on everyday? It only makes the laundry pile up!

Thanks for the insight.