RoyalDude wrote:What happened to all that Gillis love? Hmmm
The information now coming out regarding the way Gillis conducted business is certainly troubling and tarnishes what would otherwise have been a decent record as a GM. That being said, Gillis leaves the Canucks and can still be considered one of the top GM's in Canucks history.
IMHO the top 5 are.....
1. Quinn - I don't think anyone will argue that he was the best, for good reason. Built the 1994 team, essentially from the ground up.
2. Burke - Made the moves that brought together the WCE and acquired the Sedins. Failed to support a loaded top 3 forwards and solid top 3 blueline with support and goaltending. Too loyal to guys like Cloutier.
3. Gillis - Supported the existing core with some good trades and UFA signings, re-signed key players, 2 president's trophies, SFC appearance. Over-valued assets, handed out too many NTC's, unwilling to admit his mistakes and rectify them.....and now it appears he's a bit of a douche-bag as it turns out.
4. Gilford - I don't remember too much about him, I was too young, just giving him the nod because of 82 and the fact that he was never let go, promoted and died in his post.
5. Nonis - Other than the Luongo deal he was horrible. Weinrich, Sopel, and Carney? WTF? The Luongo trade redeems him somewhat though.
Neale has to be the absolute worst though.