And So The Axe Falls

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Post by Cornuck »

I'm starting to hope you're correct, SL.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

herb wrote:He missed the playoffs once, and then his head rolled.

No no. They pretty much missed the playoffs last year, too. You can excuse them the loss in round one to the Kings (no Daniel, SCF hangover, meeting a hot team that went on to win it all), but the past two years were brutal. The Sharks basically conducted the year-end review last year, and this one was done just after the Olympic break. It's been an ugly fall, and Gillis had at least two seasons to arrest it.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well I am surprised, very much so. Not so much that MG was fired but that it was done this quickly. But the Aquas did say failing to make the playoffs was not an option.

They have also shown that defiance will be death with swiftly, aka, Nonis.

Now both MG and Nonis were fired for various reasons but in the end they both showed that they did not want to be puppets.

No question MG through his combined efforts is ultimately responsible for the product on the ice. His undoing has been his inability to consummate a trade of any significance that has positive impact for the Canucks. Perhaps having two star players in short order becoming disgruntled and wanting out was too much. Perhaps public ally drawing a line in the sand earned him the immediate departure.

Just before the Olypmic break FA intimated that injuries were the problem and he didn't foresee the need for big changes. Perhaps just public speak, perhaps sincere. Maybe he was interviewing MG's replacement. But if he was leaning this way perhaps had he acted then and made Gillman interm MG we may have seen some improvement earlier or the Luongo situation could have been handled differently, or a trade made, or deadline day handled differently.

Anyway, thanks Mike for all the successful years, for bringing us within one game of it all. Didn't expect it to be this soon but glad you don't have to endure two more home games and the silly chants. I doubt you will find a job soon in hockey, you don't seem to be a popular kinda guy, the arrogance thing. So why not tell all, for shits and giggles :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:
Tciso wrote:
Strangelove wrote: I like Linden as President and Nicholson as GM.

And Gilman to remain Assistant GM.
I like the idea of doing a real search for a new GM, and not just handing the job to a guy the fans will love. Linden is a great guy, but, is he GM material????
The rumours tend to say Linden would be the (figurehead) :wink: President and Nicholson the GM.

Nicholson would make a great GM.

Well known/liked around the league and whatnot, knows how to put a team together...
Naslund makes more sense as the figure head given his departure from Modo. Linden hasn't really expressed the desire to be involved in hockey at this point. I just hope whoever it is likes to talk :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Not sure what to think yet, will let the dust settle and see who they replace him with. One the one hand I like that the Aquilinis are showing they will eat $8 million if they think they need to, while on the other hand it's odd that they just fired the GM responsible for by far the most successful stretch in Canucks history. I guess this shows who really hired Torts. Gillis' biggest issue was his public image was terrible, and that's 100% his own fault.

If they hire Feaster I won't be happy, he's made some horrible moves as a GM. Whoever comes in I hope will build through youth and the draft, no more quick fixes or picking up guys in their prime as this team just isn't there at the moment.

I'm glad Gilman and Henning are still here as they are valuable members of the team. Makes me think they may hire a GM who isn't all that experienced while keeping these two around him.

There will be more to come, would be nice to see somebody like Nicholson come in and play the John Davidson role. We will see.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Who cares about his public image? Seriously. The GM can be hideously disfigured and have five speech impediments; as long as the team is contending, I'm good.

Now what about Torts? Still the man for the job? Will they let the new GM decide?
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

So, if it is correct that Tortorella was an Aquilini hire, I guess I am expecting an equally horrific hire for President or GM... yeah, you can hope for Nicholson, but with that good ol' Aquilini hockey acumen I give you the next GM of the Canucks:

Looking to top the Cam Neely trade!

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Tciso wrote:
Strangelove wrote: I like Linden as President and Nicholson as GM.

And Gilman to remain Assistant GM.
I like the idea of doing a real search for a new GM, and not just handing the job to a guy the fans will love. Linden is a great guy, but, is he GM material????
No, he's not. But neither is Joe Sakic, and him and head coach, Patrick Roy, have done a nice job with the Avs. They hired a token GM, but the hockey guys make the hockey decisions. Players get to deal with and play for a couple of former NHLers and only deal with a businessman during negotiations.....and their agents do that for them.

I think players like playing for former players, Edmonton being the exception of course, lol.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Puck wrote:Who cares about his public image? Seriously. The GM can be hideously disfigured and have five speech impediments; as long as the team is contending, I'm good.
I think it's really inappropriate to take pot shots at Bryan Murray like that.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Strangelove wrote:Rumours are swirling about Bob Nicholson.

Aquilinis always secretly hire the new guy before firing the old guy (Torts/AV, Gillis/Nonis.

Nicholson stepped down as head of Hockey Canada a few days ago:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/bob-nic ... -1.2598236

Nicholson would be a very good choice. But Torts has to go...so dysfunctional this team.

The goalie debacle and bad drafting are the two valid reasons for Gillis to go.
Last edited by Boston Canucker on Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Southern_Canuck wrote:So, if it is correct that Tortorella was an Aquilini hire, I guess I am expecting an equally horrific hire for President or GM... yeah, you can hope for Nicholson, but with that good ol' Aquilini hockey acumen I give you the next GM of the Canucks:

Looking to top the Cam Neely trade!

S_C
Thanks SC! I will have a freaking nightmare tonight... :evil:
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Puck wrote:It's been an ugly fall, and Gillis had at least two seasons to arrest it.
Yeah he had a lockout shortened season and a season where the cap went down to rebuild the team. There are few decent UFAs these days and I'm sure the fan base would've been all over a Kesler trade in 2012.

You put 2/3rds of the teams in this league into the Pacific this year and I bet all of them struggle.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Boston Canucker wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Rumours are swirling about Bob Nicholson.

Aquilinis always secretly hire the new guy before firing the old guy (Torts/AV, Gillis/Nonis.

Nicholson stepped down as head of Hockey Canada a few days ago:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/bob-nic ... -1.2598236

Nicholson would be a very good choice. But Torts has to go...so dysfunctional this team.
Agreed, Torts has to go. However, if indeed he was hired by Aquilini, I don't think he will be gone any time soon...
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Strangelove wrote: The rumours tend to say Linden would be the (figurehead) :wink: President and Nicholson the GM.

Nicholson would make a great GM.

Well known/liked around the league and whatnot, knows how to put a team together...
Naslund makes more sense as the figure head given his departure from Modo. Linden hasn't really expressed the desire to be involved in hockey at this point. I just hope whoever it is likes to talk :mrgreen:
Well "figurehead" was a bit tongue-in-cheek (as in Puppets R Us). :wink:

Linden has a good head for business.

BTW, Linden said something the other day about wanting to get back into hockey.

I'll look for it later...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Jovocop wrote:
Boston Canucker wrote: Nicholson would be a very good choice. But Torts has to go...so dysfunctional this team.
Agreed, Torts has to go. However, if indeed he was hired by Aquilini, I don't think he will be gone any time soon...
I want Torts to stay and I think he will.

Right now the blame is being placed on Gillis for not supplying General Torts with the right soldiers.

Why not run with that for now.

Besides, it gives the new GM an option if things go wrong.

Blame Torts, fire him, hire 'you're guy'.

This firing/hiring cycle gives hope to season ticket holders (who must renew within the next few days?)

.... and hope puts butts in seats. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.