And So The Axe Falls

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

donlever
CC Legend

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Post by donlever »

Strangelove wrote:
You could say all GMs do these things to some extent, but some of them cross the line...
Georgie boy has a little Torts in his act as well apparently.

On September 25, 1999, McPhee, angry at what he perceived to be dirty play by the Chicago Blackhawks, punched then Blackhawks head coach Lorne Molleken outside the Chicago locker room after their teams' exhibition game. Molleken sustained injuries to his head and in response Blackhawks players and team aides jumped McPhee, leaving him with a torn suit. On October 1, 1999, Gary Bettman, the NHL commissioner, suspended McPhee for a month without pay and fined him $20,000.
DeLevering since 1999.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:Hearing Kesler did not ask for a trade but did express his frustration at the lack of depth and basically laid a challenge down. Make the moves that show the team is contending if you want me to commit here long term. Not asking or demanding a trade, just expressing his deep dissatisfaction and wanted to see the club make the moves to bring in depth.

That got leaked as Kesler asking for a trade. It is believed that that came from a MG orchestrated leak.
Yeah Mike Gillis using his agent skills...once an agent-always an agent I suppose.

If only Benning can get here asap, need to right this ship!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

donlever wrote: Georgie boy has a little Torts in his act as well apparently.

On September 25, 1999, McPhee, angry at what he perceived to be dirty play by the Chicago Blackhawks, punched then Blackhawks head coach Lorne Molleken outside the Chicago locker room after their teams' exhibition game. Molleken sustained injuries to his head and in response Blackhawks players and team aides jumped McPhee, leaving him with a torn suit. On October 1, 1999, Gary Bettman, the NHL commissioner, suspended McPhee for a month without pay and fined him $20,000.
Yes Georgie Boy put on quite an exhibition! :mex:

$20,000 tee hee
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Thanks all for the xplanation and links to threads. Yes this seems to be the MG model of management. Add to that his arrogance and bullish nature it becomes obvious he wore out his welcome.

I also think he had no intension of trading anyone on deadline day but was testing the market and creating a demand. Very similar to how he handled Luongo. More than one GM hinted that something was fishy when all the trade talk got shut down very quickly. A couple even blamed him for the lack of moves because teams were held up waiting for the alleged Vancouver deals to come to fruition. As usuall when all the rumours about who offered what came out MG was quick to dismiss them all, like he did with Luongo. Never a deal offered that he liked or made the team better.

He seems like he was not only a control freak but a real games player and manipulator. If I remember correctly these labels followed him in his player agent days. A lot of planted stories and rumours then too.
The only HW the Canucks need
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Hockey Widow wrote:The trade of Luongo was the identical trade MG. Could have had before last years draft and he had the authority to make the deal, salary hold back and all. But he felt he was not getting fair return for Luongo and was loath to make the deal. His choice in the end. The plan which was conveyed to Luongo was for him to play 1-2 more years in Vancouver, as the number one, bringing Lack along. MG. Believed the market for Luongo would open up more. Not entirely a bad plan.

Torts was well briefed on the situation and on Luongo's delicate ego issues. His handling of the Heritage Classic was unforgivable to MG and ownership and the deal that as on the table at the draft was taken.
I'm willing to cut the guy a lot of slack for some of the bad trades he made, but if this is true boy is that a colossal, unforgivable screw up. I said in the past I found the rumors of "ownership interference" to have occurred at an unusually convenient time. As if they were designed to exonerate Gillis for the Luongo trade. If true, taking the Kesler rumors into account, the guy really starts to look like a scumbag.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Don't all teams do this?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya but MG had a reputation as a player agent and was the fav of a lot of GM's to deal with. I thnk as others have pointed out he may not have a lot of willing suitors as far as trades go, unless he was going to bend over.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

What happened to all that Gillis love? Hmmm
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote:What happened to all that Gillis love? Hmmm
The love that dare not speak its name :cry:
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Love left town with slim and none ...
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The information now coming out regarding the way Gillis conducted business is certainly troubling and tarnishes what would otherwise have been a decent record as a GM. That being said, Gillis leaves the Canucks and can still be considered one of the top GM's in Canucks history.

IMHO the top 5 are.....

1. Quinn - I don't think anyone will argue that he was the best, for good reason. Built the 1994 team, essentially from the ground up.

2. Burke - Made the moves that brought together the WCE and acquired the Sedins. Failed to support a loaded top 3 forwards and solid top 3 blueline with support and goaltending. Too loyal to guys like Cloutier.

3. Gillis - Supported the existing core with some good trades and UFA signings, re-signed key players, 2 president's trophies, SFC appearance. Over-valued assets, handed out too many NTC's, unwilling to admit his mistakes and rectify them.....and now it appears he's a bit of a douche-bag as it turns out.

4. Gilford - I don't remember too much about him, I was too young, just giving him the nod because of 82 and the fact that he was never let go, promoted and died in his post.

5. Nonis - Other than the Luongo deal he was horrible. Weinrich, Sopel, and Carney? WTF? The Luongo trade redeems him somewhat though.

Neale has to be the absolute worst though. :P
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Milford
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Somehow I looked at the names Jake Milford and Jack Gordon and was thinking James Gilford. :eh:

I'm going to make an appointment for some tests now..... :look:
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Give it 4 to 5 years. I can hardly wait to read you slamming the next GM for benefiting from the players Gillis drafted.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Mëds wrote:Somehow I looked at the names Jake Milford and Jack Gordon and was thinking James Gilford. :eh:

I'm going to make an appointment for some tests now..... :look:
I thought you had Kathy Lee Gifford on your mind...

"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy