And So The Axe Falls

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Post by ukcanuck »

Haha the audience is priceless :)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ukcanuck wrote:Haha the audience is priceless :)
OOPS, can't believe I posted that last night! :oops:

See, I thought you said "Reich".

:look:
____
Try to focus on someday.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=450491
McPhee not extended and Oates canned.

Oates could make an interesting choice for special teams associate coach somewhere.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Will CoHo replace Oates?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Topper wrote:Will CoHo replace Oates?
Do you think Michael D. Gillis would be in contention or even have a desire for the Caps' GM gig? 8-)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Betamax wrote:
Do you think Michael D. Gillis would be in contention or even have a desire for the Caps' GM gig? 8-)
Just pray that the Caps don't prey upon Laurence S. Gilman.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Strangelove wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Just pray that the Caps don't prey upon Laurence S. Gilman.
Well, if Michael D. Gillis is hired by another NHL team for next upcoming season, maybe he'll, uh, promise some bold moves, and throw a couple of RFA offer sheets towards Tanev and/or Kassian. 8-)
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Betamax wrote:
I doubt it. I can't see Gillis getting another GM job this quickly, at least not from a team that is letting their GM go for similar reasons. Washington has had a dynamic offense for years, McPhee never built up his blueline or dealt with their shortfalls in the crease. They had some great regular season succes at times, but they always faltered in the playoffs. Gillis had 2010-11 and 2011-12.....a pair of President's Trophies and a trip to the SCF.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:Haha the audience is priceless :)
OOPS, can't believe I posted that last night! :oops:

See, I thought you said "Reich".

Was a good laugh, gonna keep that one in rotation for a while me thinks...

:look:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Mëds wrote:
Betamax wrote:
I doubt it. I can't see Gillis getting another GM job this quickly, at least not from a team that is letting their GM go for similar reasons. Washington has had a dynamic offense for years, McPhee never built up his blueline or dealt with their shortfalls in the crease. They had some great regular season succes at times, but they always faltered in the playoffs. Gillis had 2010-11 and 2011-12.....a pair of President's Trophies and a trip to the SCF.
via: http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey ... teams.html

In today's 30 thoughts, EF speculates:
4. Patrick added there would be no other changes at this time, which means Ross Mahoney remains to do the draft -- and Washington's done well in it. Someone with a scouting background (like San Jose's Tim Burke, who could be a really good hire) might not make sense for that reason. Mahoney's presence gives the Capitals time to find the person and create the structure they want. There's the new-style setup with a Linden or a Brendan Shanahan or a Wayne Gretzky atop the ladder. But, at a huge moment for his franchise, Leonsis is going to need experience at running an organization, too. If he doesn't want an all-expenses-paid vacation, I can see Mike Gillis getting interviewed for this.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Heard some interesting gossip re MG. We all know how the Canucks under MG used planted rumours and used misdirection under his tenure. Seems that the Kesler situation caused a lot of strife. What were supposed to be confidential discussions between Kesler and management became planted info for that French guy.

Hearing Kesler did not ask for a trade but did express his frustration at the lack of depth and basically laid a challenge down. Make the moves that show the team is contending if you want me to commit here long term. Not asking or demanding a trade, just expressing his deep dissatisfaction and wanted to see the club make the moves to bring in depth.

That got leaked as Kesler asking for a trade. It is believed that that came from a MG orchestrated leak. It seems that his MO has been pretty consistent all along. Like the well time leaks about ownership meddling which created a few conversations between MG and ownership. At one point MG was told to quash those rumours. He did his usually the team is run by committee routine.

The COHO situation was also brought up in that there were no prior indications that there were problems with Cody but after he was traded he was thrown under the bus by MG.

The trade of Luongo was the identical trade MG. Could have had before last years draft and he had the authority to make the deal, salary hold back and all. But he felt he was not getting fair return for Luongo and was loath to make the deal. His choice in the end. The plan which was conveyed to Luongo was for him to play 1-2 more years in Vancouver, as the number one, bringing Lack along. MG. Believed the market for Luongo would open up more. Not entirely a bad plan.

Torts was well briefed on the situation and on Luongo's delicate ego issues. His handling of the Heritage Classic was unforgivable to MG and ownership and the deal that as on the table at the draft was taken.

But to the point. It seems MG management style finally caught up to him.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

^^^ WHOA, shades of George McPhee! :crazy:

GMMG was a lot like GMGM?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:^^^ WHOA, shades of George McPhee! :crazy:

This was brought up before, and before my time. What did McPhee do?
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Strangelove wrote:^^^ WHOA, shades of George McPhee! :crazy:

This was brought up before, and before my time. What did McPhee do?
ALLEGEDLY McPhee was the kind of manipulator you describe above (planting stories, telling lies).

In his book, Bure made some accusations...

viewtopic.php?p=143913#p143913

You could say all GMs do these things to some extent, but some of them cross the line...
____
Try to focus on someday.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Hockey Widow wrote:This was brought up before, and before my time. What did McPhee do?
Both guys panicked after playoff disappointments and figured the only way to be successful was to totally change their team's style of play. In both cases their team looked lost after a new style they weren't suited for was implemented, performed woefully and both GMs lost their jobs.