And So The Axe Falls

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Post Reply
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 7906
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

And So The Axe Falls

Post by Meds »

TSN reporting that Gillis has been relieved as President & GM! Rumors swirling that Linden's name is in the mix for new President.

Also on CDC.

http://canucks.nhl.com/
User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Legend
Posts: 3885
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Post by ukcanuck »

Leave the gun, bring the cannoli ...
User avatar
herb
CC Legend
Posts: 3014
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Post by herb »

I blame the goatee.
dbr
CC Legend
Posts: 3059
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Post by dbr »

Well, we are certainly living in "interesting times"...
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 7906
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Post by Meds »

I would also like to add that now I am really excited to see where the team goes from here.

New President & GM.....could be one or two new faces at the helm of the front office. Nobody should be considered safe.

My only concern with the possibility of bringing Trevor in is that he played with several of these guys for his last few years, so I hope he can be business like with them and sever those teammate ties.

I'm also wondering about whether or not the fan chant had any influence on this decision. Normally that is a very laughable suggestion, but Aquaman is all about the bottom line, there have been hundreds of empty seats at the arena of late, and by the time the fans started that chant last night, Rogers Arena was starting to look about half empty with still 7(ish) minutes to play. Firing Gillis immediately after being officially eliminated the playoffs, and not waiting until the off-season/playoffs to be over, shows the fans that ownership is committed to winning, and delivering a product that the paying fans want!
User avatar
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Post by BurningBeard »

Meds wrote:I'm also wondering about whether or not the fan chant had any influence on this decision. Normally that is a very laughable suggestion, but Aquaman is all about the bottom line, there have been hundreds of empty seats at the arena of late, and by the time the fans started that chant last night, Rogers Arena was starting to look about half empty with still 7(ish) minutes to play. Firing Gillis immediately after being officially eliminated the playoffs, and not waiting until the off-season/playoffs to be over, shows the fans that ownership is committed to winning, and delivering a product that the paying fans want!
God help this hockey team if this is how decisions are being made.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 9574
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Post by Cornuck »

Not wasting any time, were they?

Interesting summer ahead!
2019-20 - Playoff Bound
Groovypippin
CC Veteran
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Post by Groovypippin »

Gillis wasn't fired because of chanting fans. He was fired because his team 1040 interview comments. He drew a public line in the sand, demanding more autonomy from ownership. This is the result. Anyone who thinks that bodes well for the future needs their head closely examined.
User avatar
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Post by BurningBeard »

Cornuck wrote:Not wasting any time, were they?

Interesting summer ahead!
I have to admit, I'm surprised they didn't bother with phoney exit interviews.

Oh wait... tomorrow's the deadline for season ticket renewals? Now I get it. :roll:
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 27498
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Post by Strangelove »

Rumours are swirling about Bob Nicholson.

Aquilinis always secretly hire the new guy before firing the old guy (Torts/AV, Gillis/Nonis.

Nicholson stepped down as head of Hockey Canada a few days ago:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/bob-nic ... -1.2598236


.
Last edited by Strangelove on Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 7906
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Post by Meds »

BurningBeard wrote:
Meds wrote:I'm also wondering about whether or not the fan chant had any influence on this decision. Normally that is a very laughable suggestion, but Aquaman is all about the bottom line, there have been hundreds of empty seats at the arena of late, and by the time the fans started that chant last night, Rogers Arena was starting to look about half empty with still 7(ish) minutes to play. Firing Gillis immediately after being officially eliminated the playoffs, and not waiting until the off-season/playoffs to be over, shows the fans that ownership is committed to winning, and delivering a product that the paying fans want!
God help this hockey team if this is how decisions are being made.
I just mean the timing of it. Unusual for this team to make decisions like this before lockers are cleared out etc...

Although it also gives a new GM more time to do what he needs to do before the draft.
Kowch
CC Veteran
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:11 am

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Post by Kowch »

I'd totally be okay with Nicholson.
User avatar
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Post by BurningBeard »

John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet wrote:The Canucks have not reached out to Jay Feaster yet...perhaps waiting for President to be hired.
https://twitter.com/JSportsnet/status/4 ... 9625159680

Dear Lord, take my life now.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 27498
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Post by Strangelove »

Kowch wrote:I'd totally be okay with Nicholson.
Likewise, much more so than Linden.

Although rumours say Linden may be hired in some capacity as well.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Kowch
CC Veteran
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:11 am

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Post by Kowch »

Strangelove wrote:
Kowch wrote:I'd totally be okay with Nicholson.
Likewise, much more so than Linden.

Although rumours say Linden may be hired in some capacity as well.
I think I might be okay with Linden as team President and Nicholson as GM.

What about Gilman? Anyone comfortable with him being promoted? Or would it be more of the same? Have Nicholson come in as president and Linden assistant GM?
Post Reply