Torts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Do you want Torts as the head coach of your Vancouver Canucks for the 2014/15 season?

Yes
23%
No
63%
TBD
13%

Total votes: 30

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Torts

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

rats19 wrote:I like burrows
I can't stand him. I am on an island here as most of you like the guy and his hair pulling, biting, diving, crying ways. I will plug my nose and cheer for the front of the jersey when it comes to that player. I appreciate how hard he worked to get to the league and he doesn't cheat himself as far as being a hard working player but with each incident and each passing game this player has become one of my least liked Canucks of all time. Other than Matt Cooke or Robert Nordmark i can't think of another player that rubbed me the wrong way like Burrows has.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

The Brown Knight wrote:
I'm mixed with Burrows.

I obviously love the fact that he's a clutch player and a very hard worker, but I can't stand the biting, hair pulling, diving, and all that other weasaly shit........which contributed to giving the Canucks such a bad reputation.

I simultaneously love and severely dislike Burrows..........and since these feelings cancel each other out, my overall feeling about Burrows is neutral?
I'm curious.

Why do you care what other fans think about the Vancouver Canucks?

Isn't what the Canucks do or not do on their own merit all that matters?

I honestly don't get this.

You obviously put value on your local sports team as if you didn't, you wouldn't be posting on this goddamn hockey board. Why does that value change based on how other sports teams fans perceive your team?

With regards to Burrows hair pulling antics on Duncan Keith, I'm not a fan of hair pulling, I'm also not in favor of this.

Last edited by mathonwy on Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Do we have to talk about Burrows again in the Torts thread?
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

herb wrote:Do we have to talk about Burrows again in the Torts thread?
Sorry. Almost derailed my own thread.

Good looking out Herb!
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

mathonwy wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote:
I'm mixed with Burrows.

I obviously love the fact that he's a clutch player and a very hard worker, but I can't stand the biting, hair pulling, diving, and all that other weasaly shit........which contributed to giving the Canucks such a bad reputation.

I simultaneously love and severely dislike Burrows..........and since these feelings cancel each other out, my overall feeling about Burrows is neutral?
I'm curious.

Why do you care what other fans think about the Vancouver Canucks?
Vancouver Canucks is like family to me.

If anyone on the outside speaks badly of them, I will take it personally.

It's also why I took the Stanley Cup loss harder than most.

It probably sounds very odd, but this is the truth.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

herb wrote:I believe it's $2M for another four years, actually.

I doubt ownership wants to as well, but firing coaches and managers who have term left on their contracts is pretty common in professional sports. If Torts were to get re-hired then the Canucks wouldn't owe him a dime.
Pretty dumb idea to give a guy a 5 year contract before he's even proven he can do the job. :?
I dunno if it's the greatest idea to keep going, but ownership seems to have made the call, so I doubt he's axed unless the Canucks stumble badly out of the gate.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:If rumours are true that they may want to sell it is doubtful they fire anyone and saddle new ownership with contracts on the books like that.
UPDATE:

@garymasonglobe: Well, #Canucks fans I can kill rumour moving in some Van biz circles that Aquilinis considering selling. Talk to Francesco who says never

Mason was the one who started the rumour in the first place lol....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

mathonwy wrote: Unfortunately I couldn't fit in the entire poll question.

I meant (contract aside), do you want Torts to be the coach next season.

The reality of the situation is the decision for Torts to get canned this season is going to be completely up to how much heat Aquilini is personally taking and THAT'S IT. The decision to fire Torts will cost Aquaman X amount of dollars and rich people don't pay X dollars if they can help it.
FFS the value of the franchise has gone up $500m in the last 6 years.

And then there's the year-to-year profits which could be something similar.

All you people buying into the media "Aquaman can't/won't pay it" bullshit has got to stop.

If the right move is to can Torts then Aquaman can't afford NOT to do it.

But it's not the right move.
mathonwy wrote: If my manager started poking me in the shoulder when I screwed up, I'd start tuning him out pretty damn fast.
But then you probably don't earn millions of dollars playing an extreme-contact sport. :roll:
mathonwy wrote: Even though AV came off as a smug SOB, he was also extremely even keeled. Torts... not even a little bit.
Torts was brought in to destroy the country club atmosphere.

Maybe the faint-of-heart, such as yourself, should turn away for just a liiiiittle while longer.
Last edited by Strangelove on Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:If rumours are true that they may want to sell it is doubtful they fire anyone and saddle new ownership with contracts on the books like that.
UPDATE:

@garymasonglobe: Well, #Canucks fans I can kill rumour moving in some Van biz circles that Aquilinis considering selling. Talk to Francesco who says never

Mason was the one who started the rumour in the first place lol....
Gary should ask the aquabros if they can just let MG do his job now. :p
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

The Brown Knight wrote:
Vancouver Canucks is like family to me.

If anyone on the outside speaks badly of them, I will take it personally.

It's also why I took the Stanley Cup loss harder than most.

It probably sounds very odd, but this is the truth.
Nope. Doesn't sound odd at all as I have a good friend that feels the same way.

Here's a pro-tip that you can leave or take, I don't personally care.

The sooner you stop caring about what other people think about something you care about, the happier you'll be overall.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

mathonwy wrote: The sooner you stop caring about what other people think about something you care about, the happier you'll be overall.
... says the man with his heart on his sleeve. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote:
mathonwy wrote: The sooner you stop caring about what other people think about something you care about, the happier you'll be overall.
... says the man with his heart on his sleeve. :wink:
LOL
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

I believe it's $2M for another four years, actually
Your assuming ownership didn't include any shot gun clauses inside the contact which would make the cost to terminate it less than full value...

I think ownership lost its virginity after the 4 and out last season, prior to that it had prided itself on doing whatever it could to give the players the best chance to win on the ice, ie sleep doctors and state of the art health and nutrition....

I think what ownership did is what many of us do, they over reacted and did a 180 with the Torts signing...

Now that its blown up in their faces, Gillis is making a move to take back the team... Good news for ownership is that Gillis isn't likely to over react and will do his normal due dillegence, if he decides to stay with the team...

Take care...
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Strangelove wrote:
All you people buying into the media "Aquaman can't/won't pay it" bullshit has got to stop.

If the right move is to can Torts then Aquaman can't afford NOT to do it.

But it's not the right move.
Money's money dude. And the rich don't become rich by giving it away.
Strangelove wrote:
But then you probably don't earn millions of dollars playing an extreme-contact sport. :roll:

mathonwy wrote: Even though AV came off as a smug SOB, he was also extremely even keeled. Torts... not even a little bit.
Torts was brought in to destroy the country club atmosphere.

Maybe the faint-of-heart, such as yourself, should turn away for just a liiiiittle while longer.
Strange, I mean this in the nicest possible way but you don't know shit here.

Read some books on leadership, motivation and human psychology before you put your foot further into your mouth.

Athletes are humans just like you and I with the exact same type of intrinsic and extrinsic motivation factors.

The best coaches are the ones that can adapt and figure out how to get the best out of an athlete. Considering the majority of our core have had career worst seasons, maybe Torts just doesn't have it anymore?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The Brown Knight wrote:
I'm mixed with Burrows.

You mean the shit that he hasn't really done much of since 2010?

He didn't bite anyone's finger. If you drink the Bruins' KoolAid your an idiot. Remember Chicago vs Boston and Carcillo ended up talking about how a Boston player was doing the biting and Julien or the Boston player made a comment about Carcillo trying to pull his teeth out? Fuck me.....I doubt Burrows bit anyone.

Burrows has worked very hard to clean up his rep, he deserves credit for that even though the league will never give him any. He also doesn't dive anymore, that's been out of his game since the 2010 playoffs.