Torts

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Do you want Torts as the head coach of your Vancouver Canucks for the 2014/15 season?

Yes
23%
No
63%
TBD
13%

Total votes: 30

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Torts

Post by Meds »

Betamax wrote:
nuckster wrote:Well I rather hope that Linden casts Torts adrift. I guess they're mtg today. On one hand I can respect his ability to adhere to his views, and on the other hand, this same quality/deficit, can be maddening. i.e., justification for not playing Kassian on the first or second line, but then failing to acknowledge that your top line players didn't score for nearly two fuckin months! Sorry Torts, your justification really doesn't work (at least not for me).

Anyways, that's just one point of view.

For the sake of starting fresh, it just seems to make sense for Linden to really start totally anew (Tortless).
Anybody have a take on why a decision on Torts hasn't been made by Linden. Do you think Linden is using Torts' as some sort of "Litmus Test" when it comes to screening a potential GM?

i.e. Do you envision a scenario where Torts could remain Coach?

If it was me, the "Tort's Test" would be, if you think Torts could or should remain the Canucks' Head Coach, you're crossed off the list as a candidate for GM!

i.e. Feaster

re: http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/04/08 ... e-canucks/
“I love (Tortorella),” said Feaster. “I really do think he’s a great coach. I would relish the opportunity to work with Torts again. I consider him a friend.”
Well that's the first good news I've read about the Canucks since Linden was announced as President.....Feaster is off the list. :P
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I just don't think there is any real urgency to decide Torts fate, if it hasn't already been decided. Coaching decisions are usually GM decisions but given what Trevor has said I suspect he will be active in that decision. He wants a GM, two AGM and himself working as a team. It may all be a timing thing. Maybe Torts had a good year end interview and maybe he has more internal support than we know. Maybe Trevor just wants his team in place and then make an informed decision. Maybe his replacement coaches are all still in the playoffs. Maybe it's just a timing thin.

I'm more interested in why we haven't heard from Mike.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

All of this talk of Torts getting the boot reminds of when AV was rumoured to go when GMMG was hired. They got the coach to adapt to the new team vision and all was well. Any reason why this won't happen with Torts (who's under contract?)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:I just don't think there is any real urgency to decide Torts fate, if it hasn't already been decided. Coaching decisions are usually GM decisions but given what Trevor has said I suspect he will be active in that decision. He wants a GM, two AGM and himself working as a team. It may all be a timing thing. Maybe Torts had a good year end interview and maybe he has more internal support than we know. Maybe Trevor just wants his team in place and then make an informed decision. Maybe his replacement coaches are all still in the playoffs. Maybe it's just a timing thin.
I agree. Hopefully Linden is working with the current scouting staff to formulate a good draft strategy to augment whichever GM we wind up hiring. A 6th overall draft pick is pretty important for the franchise, so even if it's not the same scouts we end up using going forward, we need their input regardless. The coach, while obviously important, can wait until the management team is in place.
I'm more interested in why we haven't heard from Mike.
Still celebrating his no-work paycheque for the next couple years?
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote:I'm more interested in why we haven't heard from Mike.
I'm not surprised, and we likely won't hear from MG any time soon about his time with the Canucks.

If you look at the recent dismissals, I can't think of anybody who was fired who suddenly took to the airwaves. No doubt there's a clause in the contract which precludes that kind of stuff in case of dismissal, or there's a bit of a handshake deal where if the dismissed exec keeps their traps shut there won't be any fuss about them collecting more than what the contract calls for or something like that.

I'm more interested in where the guy will surface next, whether he goes back to player representation (can he go back after being in management?) or hooks on with another club in some capacity. I wager it may be a while before he gets employment in the league
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Cornuck wrote:All of this talk of Torts getting the boot reminds of when AV was rumoured to go when GMMG was hired. They got the coach to adapt to the new team vision and all was well. Any reason why this won't happen with Torts (who's under contract?)
I don't think his personality style and seemingly myopic way of how hockey should be played could adapt to a "new team vision." He tried to get his players to adapt to his vision, (square peg, round hole), but couldn't adapt his style when it became clear that the overwhelming majority of the roster wasn't suitable to play effectively under his system.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Sure, but then his job wasn't on the line. He might also want to continue 'trying' to tone down his image and approach so that he can keep working in the NHL.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

When BB gets fired he talks to the press within 2-3 days. Same as any other GM or coach that I can remember being fired with the exception of Sutter getting fired in Calgary. He stayed pretty quiet. But it is usual for these guys to meet the press and say something. MG has been unusually quite for some time now. No talk shows, nothing. You always hear guys thanking the organization for the time they had etc etc etc. but MG has just disappeared.

Are we sure he is even alive? I mean those Italians don't fool around you know!
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Maybe there is some kind of non-disclosure agreement so MG can't say what he really wants to say right now. idk.

Or he took off to the tropics and is going to be like Tom Hanks in Castaway.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol more like Tom Arnold SKYO. Do we really want to hear what Eye Bags has to say ? He'll get up there in front of the media , start sweating like a pig and going bright red. He and his goiter patch can beat it.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Lol more like Tom Arnold SKYO. Do we really want to hear what Eye Bags has to say ? He'll get up there in front of the media , start sweating like a pig and going bright red. He and his goiter patch can beat it.
Even worse...he might of shaved...nuts & all :shock:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

The man is likely on an extended holiday. Sun, family and kids. Besides... he could also be in negotiations to take over the Dept of Player safety ;)

hahaha... just stirring the pot a bit :shock:
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote:When BB gets fired he talks to the press within 2-3 days.
BB talks to the press whenever it suits him, regardless of what anybody else wants - that's BB just bein BB.

I don't recall Tamby talking to the press and Regier pretty much ducked out of sight after his dimissal, there is precedent there even if it isn't universal. Like I said, it reeks of contractual/financial restraints.

No doubt it will come out in a revised version of Dowbiggins' book. :roll:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Hockey Widow wrote:I'm more interested in why we haven't heard from Mike.
Cell reception in Maui can be spotty!
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Hockey Widow wrote: I'm more interested in why we haven't heard from Mike.
Not surprised one bit. It was pretty obvious, judging by his sullen expression and defensiveness, that MG hated doing interviews and answering questions. I'm sure he's feeling a huge burden lifted now that he doesn't have to do interviews anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if we never see him in a position that requires facing the media again. Unlike Brian Burke who just can't get enough of himself in front of the camera.