Gallagher says Kassian needs a new start elsewhere

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: Gallagher says Kassian needs a new start elsewhere

Post by ClamRussel »

Hockey Widow wrote:I too want to see him get an extended look with Bonino and burrows/Higgins, dropping one of them to the third. But the second line is also an effective shut down line as it is. Kassian needs to work on that part of his game, which is where the consistency issue comes in.

If I remember correctly, he Richardson and Mathias/Booth, worked pretty well the last 15 games. Not sure what the overall issue is really. I think he will eventually get a top six extended look and a look on the PP, if the PP struggles again.
Interesting how that's not the case with Vey.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ClamRussel wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:I too want to see him get an extended look with Bonino and burrows/Higgins, dropping one of them to the third. But the second line is also an effective shut down line as it is. Kassian needs to work on that part of his game, which is where the consistency issue comes in.

If I remember correctly, he Richardson and Mathias/Booth, worked pretty well the last 15 games. Not sure what the overall issue is really. I think he will eventually get a top six extended look and a look on the PP, if the PP struggles again.

Clam it very much is the case with Vey. And maybe the only advantage Vey has is his history with WD. WD alluded to that yesterday when he was asked about Vey and if he met expectations. His response was something along the lines that Vey got his position with the Canucks because of history, and then said he has played his way to keep his spot.

Point being that Vey being familiar to WD gives him an advantage right now, rightly or wrongly. He also talked about Vey's hockey IQ being his strength and above average. I would over one or both of Vey and Kassian to progress to the point where they are both on the second line. The nature of the beast, the coach goes with who he knows.

There are times when it almost sounds like WD doesn't see the defensive warts in Vey's game. But I have to believe if Vey starts to become a liability and or Kassian develops more consistency, Kassian will get his shot.

Can you see a third line of Horvat, Burrows, Higgins? A fourth of Matthias, Richardson, Dorsett/Hansen?

Vey/Bonino/Kassian as the second could be intriguing, down the road.
The only HW the Canucks need
kelowna kanuck
CC Veteran

Post by kelowna kanuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
Can you see a third line of Horvat, Burrows, Higgins? A fourth of Matthias, Richardson, Dorsett/Hansen?

I definitely can see that combo in lines 3 and 4. I like Dorsett on that line. And I think your line 2 HW would be killer.
more cap space!
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Hockey Widow wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:

Clam it very much is the case with Vey. And maybe the only advantage Vey has is his history with WD. WD alluded to that yesterday when he was asked about Vey and if he met expectations. His response was something along the lines that Vey got his position with the Canucks because of history, and then said he has played his way to keep his spot.

Point being that Vey being familiar to WD gives him an advantage right now, rightly or wrongly. He also talked about Vey's hockey IQ being his strength and above average. I would over one or both of Vey and Kassian to progress to the point where they are both on the second line. The nature of the beast, the coach goes with who he knows.

There are times when it almost sounds like WD doesn't see the defensive warts in Vey's game. But I have to believe if Vey starts to become a liability and or Kassian develops more consistency, Kassian will get his shot.

The only consistency I've seen in Vey's game is his brutal faceoff work & weak defensive side. Not good qualities in a 3rd line center. He certainly has offensive upside so the returns will come. We'll see if he gets exposed once we start playing a team that has a hope of making the playoffs. I still maintain he hasn't earned anything yet & is blessed he has a coach that made this trade happen. If he was scoring on his own it would make sense he was on the no.1 PP unit but c'mon, he didn't even serve a game on the 2nd. Meanwhile, Kassian our most improved forward last year & top playmaker not named Sedin can't even get a sniff on the man advantage. He could easily be in that role Vey is in or certainly should, at the very least, be on the 2nd unit. Burrows could also be in Vey's spot on the PP as he has a proven track record w/ the Twins.
Spock
CC Veteran

Post by Spock »

Kassian isn't on the First Unit because Vrbata is in the spot in the 1-3-1 he would hold on that PP.

Simple as that. Vrbata > Kassian.
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... or the one."

Spock of Vulcan
Stardate 2476.8
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Spock wrote:Kassian isn't on the First Unit because Vrbata is in the spot in the 1-3-1 he would hold on that PP.

Simple as that. Vrbata > Kassian.
Either Vrbata or Kassian could play in Vey's position, there are options. It doesn't explain his omission from the 2nd unit either. Vrbata or Kassian > Vey
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Kass gets alot of bad press for being a defensive liability and a bit lazy at times, but from the clip from this game, he comes across as a player who really cares about his team/teammates, wants his team to win, communicates well with his teammates and wants to play his position well.

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

ClamRussel wrote:Either Vrbata or Kassian could play in Vey's position, there are options. It doesn't explain his omission from the 2nd unit either. Vrbata or Kassian > Vey
A month in and Vey is on pace for 23 goals. By comparison, last year Mackinnon had 24. Kassian in his career has scored 27 goals.

Vey hasn't gone more than 2 games without a point. He's scored 3 of the team's 11 PP goals.

IMO, Vey has provided exactly what he's been asked to, and he's consistently provided it. He may cool off, and Kassian may get hot - that's the time to switch things up, not when Vey is a key contributor to a strong PP unit.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

ESQ wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:Either Vrbata or Kassian could play in Vey's position, there are options. It doesn't explain his omission from the 2nd unit either. Vrbata or Kassian > Vey
A month in and Vey is on pace for 23 goals. By comparison, last year Mackinnon had 24. Kassian in his career has scored 27 goals.

Vey hasn't gone more than 2 games without a point. He's scored 3 of the team's 11 PP goals.

IMO, Vey has provided exactly what he's been asked to, and he's consistently provided it. He may cool off, and Kassian may get hot - that's the time to switch things up, not when Vey is a key contributor to a strong PP unit.
It still doesn't explain why he's not at least on the 2nd unit. ...but do you really think it's a legit comparison when one player gets #1 unit PP time w/ the Twins & the other gets zero pp time & has basically been anchored to the 3rd line. Vey has done alright, no doubt, but so have a plethora of other players playing w/ the Twins. How would Kassian's numbers look if he played a full month on that fixed unit? You'd probably see 3 or so additional pp goals and a few assists. Not having him on the 2nd unit even when Burrows was suspended was highly questionable.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

ClamRussel wrote:
ESQ wrote:

It still doesn't explain why he's not at least on the 2nd unit. ...but do you really think it's a legit comparison when one player gets #1 unit PP time w/ the Twins & the other gets zero pp time & has basically been anchored to the 3rd line. Vey has done alright, no doubt, but so have a plethora of other players playing w/ the Twins. How would Kassian's numbers look if he played a full month on that fixed unit? You'd probably see 3 or so additional pp goals and a few assists. Not having him on the 2nd unit even when Burrows was suspended was highly questionable.
Isn't this a better comparison?

Kassian 13 2 2 4 -4

Hodgson 15 1 1 2 -9

8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

So, what you're saying is Zack is 100% better than Cody.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Arachnid wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
ESQ wrote:

Isn't this a better comparison?

Kassian 13 2 2 4 -4

Hodgson 15 1 1 2 -9

8-)
And CoHo is getting time on the PP. LOL

Kassian doesn't get 2nd unit PP time because he's on the 3rd line and Willie uses the set 2nd line with two defenders.

Vey gets his 1st unit time because he has the slickest release on the team and he a right shot where Willie chooses to use only one defender on the 1st unit.

Quite simply, Kassian hasn't earned anything so he plays his third line role until he does earn more time. he Mathias and Richardson are doing ok at their role.

If Zach had a release and a hockey IQ anything close to Vey's, this would be a worthy discussion. Until then it is just the rehashed masturbating whine of a poster with a hard on for Kassian.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Another fine contribution from the bear-bating fanboi.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I like Linden Vey a lot on the first pp unit . He has looked great there and so has everyone on it . The second unit however has looked the shits and at some point in the near future one would think Kassian would get a look there .

Zack is fine on the third line when the team is fully healthy . I am curious to see if either Vey or Horvat can seize that 3rd line centre spot this season . I like Richardson but he belongs on the 4th line with Dorsett and Hansen . I thought it was laughable having Hansen playing on the 2nd line and pp time . The guy is ham handed and has zero creativity . He belongs on the fourth line or should be trade bait if one or two of the kids proves they are ready for a full time gig .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

ClamRussel wrote:So, what you're saying is Zack is 100% better than Cody.
Absolutely, he is playing 100% to his abilities...Mr. Bear 8-)

Cody is at 50%. Sad really.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)