Gallagher says Kassian needs a new start elsewhere

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Gallagher says Kassian needs a new start elsewhere

Post by damonberryman »

I am chiming in a bit late on this thread but Gallagher is an idiot. Trading Kassian would be nuts. We would get very little back and I am old enough to remember how Neely looked during his time with the Canucks. I am not saying Kass is the next Cam but he has the potential to be a good power forward and they are always late in development.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

damonberryman wrote:Trading Kassian would be nuts. We would get very little back and I am old enough to remember how Neely looked during his time with the Canucks
Cool, how would u say Cam Neely looked when he was a young player with the Canucks? Did he look the same as Jimmy Sandlak (big strong guy, but stone hands) or did he show a lot of promise?
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
damonberryman wrote:Trading Kassian would be nuts. We would get very little back and I am old enough to remember how Neely looked during his time with the Canucks
Cool, how would u say Cam Neely looked when he was a young player with the Canucks? Did he look the same as Jimmy Sandlak (big strong guy, but stone hands) or did he show a lot of promise?
I'll tell you one thing, he got jack shit for icetime, his coach didn't trust him, zero pp time, scrubs for linemates. Sound familiar?
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

ClamRussel wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
I'll tell you one thing, he got jack shit for icetime, his coach didn't trust him, zero pp time, scrubs for linemates. Sound familiar?
Yet Neely stats wise was pretty good for a power forward starting from 18 yrs old.

Kassian reaching 24 yrs old pretty quick hasn't got close to those stats, 14 goals last season though, I still think he could be a 20 goal scorer when it's all said and done, a key cog on our 3rd line.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mondi wrote:Eras are hard to compare. Fewer goals today.
eras yes, but age not so much, Neely was already doing pretty good even as a kid, Kassian still doing just OK at 6 years older than Neely at the same time in age difference.

Which is why we should be throwing away that silly Neely/Kassian - what if comparison, I think it's clear Kass will never be close to Neely at this point.

I'd still love to trade Kassian for Lucic if Boston can't re-sign him by next season.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

SKYO wrote: I'd still love to trade Kassian for Lucic if Boston can't re-sign him by next season.
As much as I luv East Van Milan, I don't think I'd give up Kassassian for him. I don't think Kass will become a Neely/Bert type, but I do think he can become a Shane Doan type (probably not a 50 goal power forward guy, but a consistent 20-30 goal power forward).

If Kass keeps working hard like in this clip, I think he's going to turn a page sooner than later. I luv what he said: "speed kills and if you can be big, strong and fast, that's a deadly combination." I'm glad he's working toward that and I think it's going to pay off. He's looking like he's going to become a beast. :P

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

True future powerfowards of Dustin Brown,
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

SKYO wrote: Which is why we should be throwing away that silly Neely/Kassian - what if comparison, I think it's clear Kass will never be close to Neely at this point.
If you read what damonberryman stated specifically, he wasn't saying Zack is going to be the next Neely. It's a good example he made of how the right coach & opportunity *can* potentially be a career changer. If Neely stayed in Van under Tom Watt it's reasonable to deduct he isn't making the HOF. Boston recognized something in Neely that the dipshits running this team at the time were oblivious to. Upon arriving in Boston he was immediately paired w/ Rick Middleton on the top unit.

From Wiki:
Canucks head coach Tom Watt was not impressed with Neely's defense (Neely was 20 at this time), and that was what made him tradeable. Neely said "I was playing behind Stan Smyl and Tony Tanti, so I didn't see a lot of ice time, and, certainly not on the power plays."

Almost immediately, it became apparent that the Bruins had received the better of the deal. Neely stated that "I was surprised at the trade. I really didn't know what to expect once I got to Boston and had no idea that my career would turn out the way it did for those ten years. From Day One in training camp, I just wanted to get the opportunity to play. The coaches said, 'Let's see what he can do.' As time went by, I got more and more confidence. I never really thought I'd be a 50-goal scorer, but I was given a chance to contribute offensively, not just physically." In his first full season following the trade, Neely's 36 goals led the club, and his 72 points more than doubled his previous year's performance.
Sadly, the Canucks thought Sandlak made Neely expendable. Oops.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote:
Mondi wrote:Eras are hard to compare. Fewer goals today.
eras yes, but age not so much, Neely was already doing pretty good even as a kid, Kassian still doing just OK at 6 years older than Neely at the same time in age difference.

Which is why we should be throwing away that silly Neely/Kassian - what if comparison, I think it's clear Kass will never be close to Neely at this point.

I'd still love to trade Kassian for Lucic if Boston can't re-sign him by next season.
Players in different eras are too hard to compare SKYO. Just look at their fellow NHL'ers at the time.

Just compare Neely's points to the top 10 scoring leaders (not including Gretzky, because....wow).

44 points (adjusted) for Neely. 126-102 points (2nd through 11th).
43 points (adjusted) for Neely. 135-1021 points (2nd through 11th).
37 points (adjusted) for Neely. 141-104 points (2nd through 11th).

It's worth noting that in that 2nd-11th grouping are players like Mario Lemieux, as well as a couple of Gretzky's linemates, and 100 point club included as many as 15 players in those years.

Look at Kassian's first 3 seasons now. I'm adjusting based on 78 games played for Kas because that was the average GP of the scoring leaders.

17 points (adjusted for Kas). 109-78 points (1st through 10th)
14 points (adjusted for Kas). 60-49 points (1st through 10th)
31 points (adjusted for Kas). 104-79 points (1st through 10th)

Pretty tough to compare really. Arguments can be made about who Neely played with and so forth, but it's irrelevant because it wasn't until he was given the top line spot that he became the ppg player that he was.

I think that Neely's first 3 years are comparable to Kassian's. Neely might have ended up with a few more points, but playing today, if Neely was coming in as an 18 or 19 year old, he would still develop into a star, but the point totals couldn't be compared to the one's he put in the early 80's. The game has changed.

For the record, this is not a comparison meant to say Kassian = Neely. Just that you can't compare across eras.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

The real shame is Quinn didn't get here in time.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

For the love of Docs Sunday Leader - please, enough of the Lucic/Neely comparisons when it comes to Kassian. IT-WILL-NEVER-HAPPEN.

I like Zack, but he is more on par with legendary 3rd liner PF types like a Sergio Momesso, Stefan Matteau or Dustin Penner. The tools are there but the head and heart ain't.

Blobby likes Zack cause he's Blobby's kind of guy, the prototypical drinking buddy, bar scrapping, Osoyoos wake boarder, celtic rope tatty's with Nickleback cranked on the boat speakers.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote:
bar scrapping, Osoyoos wake boarder, celtic rope tatty's with Nickleback cranked on the boat speakers.
:lol:
If you need air...call it in
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

RoyalDude wrote:For the love of Docs Sunday Leader - please, enough of the Lucic/Neely comparisons when it comes to Kassian. IT-WILL-NEVER-HAPPEN.

I like Zack, but he is more on par with legendary 3rd liner PF types like a Sergio Momesso, Stefan Matteau or Dustin Penner. The tools are there but the head and heart ain't.

Blobby likes Zack cause he's Blobby's kind of guy, the prototypical drinking buddy, bar scrapping, Osoyoos wake boarder, celtic rope tatty's with Nickleback cranked on the boat speakers.
Please dude, don't connect Lucic & Neely together ever again. Ever.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Gallagher is nothing but a hack. He is the most disconnected sports writer in Vancouver now. Him and his bum buddy Gillis haven't got a clue how the modern sports franchise should be run or reported on.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I am done with Osoyoos Pacific Blue. I don't care for barb wire on the guns. Nickelback is gay. Its Bruce Springsteen, Johnny Cash and Jack Johnson. I am a Penticton - Peachland dude, big bag of kush, vodka swilling , quad /boat driving a-hole who is still contemplating his first tattoo and is a far more patient man than the tranny banging, spandex wearing legend of North Van.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”