Alexandre Burrows Appreciation Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Alexandre Burrows Appreciation Thread

Post by Strangelove »

Well I've pretty much had it with all the Burrows-bashing over the last year.

Time for some positive vibes towards our biggest heart-and-soul player! :thumbs:

As you all know, the Great Strangelove has always sprung to the defense of one Alexandre Burrows.

For good reason.

And yours truly is more interested in what AB can bring to this team in the FUTURE than the past.

TRULY!

But sadly, it seems some of CC's best posters have forgotten even what Mr Burrows has done in the past.

A re-post from tonight's GDT if I may...
Strangelove wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: A day late and a dollar short. He didn't show up when the games mattered.
WOW never thought I'd see that said about AB.

But I guess now that folks can't claim he's a washed-up-stick-a-fork-in-him player anymore...

:roll:

UMMM....

2nd in all-time Canuck short-handed goals (Bure is first).

Tied for 9th in all-time Canuck game-winning goals (and I bet he's 3rd in ES game-winning goals).

1st in goals-per-playoff-game among present-day Canucks.

The only present-day Canuck to score a short-handed playoff goal.

Tied for 1st (with Gus Adams) in ALL-TIME OVERTIME PLAYOFF GOALS.

Can you say CLUTCH??

"He didn't show up when the games mattered" Image

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Va ... ks_records

PLUS he's in there like a dirty shirt when things get ugly.

All this from our best defensive forward.

No offense Blob, but some of you guys have gone nutty....
Now I'm not sure if many here turned into mindless pitchforkers

... or if the hatred spewed by the media has achieved it's desired effect.

Or if it's both.

But IMESHO whether one is a rebuilder, retooler, or re-upper...

YOU DON'T DITCH ALEXANDRE BURROWS Image

(well not unless you get a HUGE return for him)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Re: Alexandre Burrows Appreciation Thread

Post by Topper »

Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Ahh... I remember when it was just yesterday when I created the original Alex Burrows appreciation thread on CanucksCentral.

:lol:

Dear Alex,

Thank you for not making me look like an asshole this season.

-Your BFF and sapporo numero uno fano Math! <3

PS. Please take lots of Calcium and Vitamin C.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

mathonwy wrote:Dear Alex,

Because you do a splendid job of it yourself.

......and nice job deleting your Vezina post..........

mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Topper wrote:
mathonwy wrote:Dear Alex,

Because you do a splendid job of it yourself.

......and nice job deleting your Vezina post..........
Dear Topper,

You must be a very miserable person in real life to have all of this angst.

You need some yoga.

Love,

Math.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Nice to see Burr finally get some bounces and get hot, unfortunately it may be too little too late. Better late than never I guess. *hehe* Boy, he seems to have some great chemistry with Jensens, might be no coincidence Burr finally got going when the young gun was called up. Those 2 have been really carrying that line, carrying our captain and superstar Hank Sedin. :lol:
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Okay Why is Math not on the list????

.......wait..... I think I am on the list...

As for Burr Appreciatin, I can think of no nicer think to say than he this generation's Geoff Courtnall, or maybe Greg Adams!! Greg Adams!!
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Doc those are some lovely all time stats you've posted. Burrows has produced those numbers over a career with this team that is particularly storied given his humble beginnings as a pro.

Kudos to him.

I hate a lot of the antics that he allows to be part of the package but I'll always love his scrappiness and feistiness.

Remember when Willie Mitchell had that vertebrae injury that kept him out for quite a few games? First game back after almost a month out and Brian Rolston took him awkwardly into the end boards, Burr didn't even give him a chance, his gloves were off the minute he came into contact and he was throwing 'em at Rolston nearly as quick. He gave up 25 pounds in that tilt and he wasn't going to score a victory but what a teammate.

Anyway. You can't really say for sure that next year Alex isn't going to bounce back to close to the level he played at in the last half decade; nor can you say that Daniel isn't going to shake whatever's been plaguing him over the offseason either for that matter. Looking at their ages though, if I were a betting man I wouldn't put money on a massive resurgence from either player without some pretty favourable odds.

It's become increasingly evident that this franchise can't ice a strong enough team to have many contracts on the books that reflect a player's past performance more than his current contributions. Love them or hate them the Sedins pretty much have us up to capacity in that regard for the next four years (certainly on aggregate, even if Henrik can be a $7m player in the near term).

As embarrassing as the hair pulling is, as little amusement as I take from the inventive trash talking at this point, I still like Alex Burrows and hope he does well - but this is a franchise in transition and if part of that means moving Burr's cap space and roster spot to another player I'm fine with that.

Too many times in the last few years has this team tried to sell us (and themselves) on the benefit of buying low on a player, that's all well and good but when you are "buying low" on a 30+ player with a substantial cap hit that's another matter entirely.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Are we still laughing at the flames for not trading their core in time to facilitate the rebuild?

Burrows recent streak might be what we need to interest the habs into sending over some futures ;)
If you need air...call it in
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I wrote this up in one of the GDTs but I don't like the Flames comparison - since their downfall was their ludicrous mismanagement over a few year period that saw them trade away two top 15 picks and another in the top 20 of that 2008 draft that so many teams did well in, in addition to the disastrous Phaneuf deal.

Their issue wasn't so much that they refused to sell off as it was that they kept on buying.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

^ Their other issue was that the Flames were never that good to begin with.

They didn't even qualify for the playoffs for several years prior to the 2004 cup run. The cup run itself was an improbable, miracle run. They barely made the playoffs, and their run to the finals couldn't be characterized as anything other than being on the back of fantastic goaltending and staunch defense.

In the seasons that followed, the Flames generally were making the playoffs as a low seed when the Canucks were winning division titles.

I really hate the comparison. The Canucks were one of these best teams in the league for a decade. The Flames were hot for a couple of months and lived off that hype for five years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I prefer the Canuck Sens analogy.

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Fair enough. So thank fuck we aren't the new flames then.

Being the western senators isn't such a bad comparison...relatively speaking. They generally are competitive and still seem to develop decent young prospects....where's our karlsson though?!??
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote:
I still like Alex Burrows and hope he does well - but this is a franchise in transition and if part of that means moving Burr's cap space and roster spot to another player I'm fine with that.
Well sure Dave... if that's possible.

Not very many excellent defensive players who tend to score HUGE goals when the chips are down though.

So yeah, good luck with that.

Good luck finding another $4.5m top 6 forward who brings what Burrows brings!

Good luck replacing one of our four truly special forwards over the last 6 years.

Seriously NOT BEING SARCASTIC AT ALL!!

Good luck!!! :thumbs:

No no, I really fucking mean it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Are we still laughing at the flames for not trading their core in time to facilitate the rebuild?

Burrows recent streak might be what we need to interest the habs into sending over some futures ;)
You know Dan, I don't think you have as much appreciation for Mr Burrows as you should have.

And I don't think you have any idea at all as to what went wrong in Calgary.

I think you're overreacting to the present Canuck situation.

If I may be so bold.... I think you're running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. Image
____
Try to focus on someday.