The Rebuild

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: The Rebuild

Post by Vader »

Boston Canucker wrote:Buy out Garrison, that has to be the smart move. Too many years for an over 4 mill D man we don't need, who is not helping, and who will be a 5/6 d-man if/when guys like Corrado move up. Booth is a one year bite, Garrison is a full on chomping through the sal cap.

Are you being sarcastic?

Even if you think Garrison should be gone, that's a very moveable contract. Cap's going north of $70M
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Aside from Booth, whose buyout is a no brainer, why would you buy out anyone? Who are you going to get in free agency that is better than Burr or Garrison for similar money?

With Jensen and possibly one of Horvat/Gaunce on the team as well next year cash will not be tight. The only reason to buy a guy out is to sign someone better and there aren't a lot of good choices in this free agent pool.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I'm pretty much willing to trade anyone on our team that's like 30+ and making over $3M. I'd keep all our prospects like Jensen, BoHo, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, etc. On our pro roster, I'd keep Tanev, Lack, Stanton and Kassian, everyone else is expendible for a reasonable return in picks/young players.

The main guy I'd like to move is Kes. He's our best asset in the trade market and I doubt he'll resign here in 2 years. If we can get a 1st round pick (top 10) and a prospect around the CoHo/Kass lvl, I'd be all over it.

Hank/Dank - I doubt anyone would want them with their extensions, so I don't mind keeping them around to be our first 1000 points scorers and help lead our young guns transition to the NHL.

Burr - He seems to be finding his game and looking like the Burr of old again. I'd keep him around for 1 more year, then decide what to do with him. Unless we get a nice return for him.

Higgy/Hansen - they're good support players for us and are pretty good bargains for their salaries. I'd only move them if we can get some decent pick(s) (2nd rounder) and/or some decent prospect(s)

Booth - Never been much of a fan of him. Lot of ppl want to buy him out, but if we're going to rebuild, I don't mind keeping him for the last year of his contract. Pay a guy to suck, all he has to do is continue what he has done for us since he came here. Just skate around, do nothing out there and get injured. :lol:

Mathias, Richardson, Sestito, Dalpe, Archibald, Schroder - all of them are all still fairly young and have mostly cheap contracts. I don't mind keeping them around as role players. A couple of them might surprise and become better than 3rd-4th liners.

Magic Mike Santorelli - The forgetten man. When our team started to go down the tank, it kind of coincided to when Santo went down. I don't mind trying to resign him for around $1.5-$2M in a 2-3 year deal. If he gets something better elsewhere, let him walk.

Our D - Top 4 (Edler, Hamhuis, Garrison, Bieksa) - I won't mind trading 1-2 of these guys. Doesn't really matter who I guess. Edler and Garrison are the youngest, so they may still have better years coming up. Hamhuis and Bieksa would probably get us the most in return, but they're probably the better veterans to have around with young players. Edler should fetch us something decent in the trade front as well. Tempted to keep Garrison just because of his cannon, he can do something at an elite lvl, while the others 3 don't really have an asset that is top notch NHL lvl.

Alberts - like his size, but seems injured too much for a 7th guy. Time to let him walk or retire.

Yanick "the Other" Weber - pretty servicable guy. Won't mind keeping him around for another year for similar dollars.

Jacob Markstrom - don't mind flipping him for a similar lvl prospect, but forward or d-man. A 2nd round pick or a young goalie who can still play in juniors/utica would be fine was well. I'd then sign a cheap veteran goalie to help mentor Lack. I don't want to see Lack shalacked every nite, so a good team guy who's willing to come in when we are having a bad nite would be great.

Hopefully losing Lou, Kes and a couple of our regular D-men would really deplete our team. Then we can sign some fringe players like Cam Barker, Rory Fitzpatrick, Darcy Hornychuk and Kyle Wellwood to fill our roster; hopefully, this will make us shitty enuff to be contenders in the Conner McDavid sweepstakes. :lol:
Rede
CC Veteran

Post by Rede »

Next year is the year I bring the kids in, in a significant way. That means making some roster spots.

Kesler - I strongly consider moving him if I can get the right return. It may be a non-starter, but go after Drouin hard if TB is interested in Kesler. Alternatively, Anaheim or Detroit have young pieces they may consider moving and you never know about Pittsburgh, Philly, Chicago, etc.

Edler - I probably move him for young help up front if I don't move Kesler or if I move Kesler for a young dman who needs a roster spot. If Kesler moves then what I do with Edler would entirely depend on what the return is for Kesler and what offers Edler garners... So hard to say, but one of Kes or Edler probably needs to go. I still demand strong return for Edler.

Hansen, Richardson - Probably more valuable to a contender than to us now. If we're gonna play the kids then some guys are gonna have to move. I probably move these guys or package them with Edler or Kesler.

Bieksa, Garrison, Hamhuis - These guys likely won't waive but if they would I'd explore moving one of them. Garrison would probably be my first choice to move, I like the leadership from Hamhuis and Bieksa so we don't end up like Edmonton. A young team needs leaders and role models.

Higgins/Santorelli - great effort guys who set the tone for the kids. I keep em if I can.

Twins, Burrows - leadership core who I expect will bounce back. Let's kids play against 2nd pairing D, etc and are great role models. I keep em.

Booth - Trade or Buy Out

Something like:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Jensen-Santorelli/Kesler-Kassian
Higgins-Horvat-Kid/Santorelli/Matthias
Kid-Kid-Kid

Hamhuis-Tanev
Garrison/Edler-Corrado/Edler
Stanton-Bieksa

Lack
Markstom

The above roster could be competitive but it would depends on how the kids develop. If the team comes together with the kids great, if not well at least its a strong draft and your prospects have a season of NHL hockey under their belt.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Strangelove wrote:
dbr wrote: Buy out Booth and Burrows (yeah yeah Doc)
Et tu Daveh?

Burrows has a season from hell, suffering two major injuries, and suddenly you're ready to stick the fork in?
Well you know what they say about making omelettes..
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Keep Kesler unless they get full asking price. 2 more years might be near the end of the rebuild.If the Gillis can get some decent linemates for him he could be the centerpiece for a new #1 line

Play Markstrom, no need to get a veteran back-up until he shows he can't do the job

Trade Edler and/or Garrison if the return is good to great, otherwise stand pat on the D

Boothy be gone
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

It looks like some are looking at a complete tear down and start again. I like the look of this line up;

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen
Burrows-Kesler-Kassian
Higgins-Horvat-Matthias
Weber-Dalpe-Hansen
Sestito

Hamhuis-Tanev
Garrison-Corrado
Stanton=Bieksa

Lack
Marstrom

If an upgrade can be made at any of these positions you make it. If not stay the course. I also have no problem keeping Booth but trading him and Edler for assets seem to make better sense. It's too bad about Edler as he was really tracking as a #1 D but he has lost his confidence and I'm not sure why. So I doubt we get a large return. Keep Markstrom. He wasn't a highly regarded prospect for nothing. He has all of the tools and athleticism required to be a #1 in the league he just needs coaching. I see Rollie as the guy who could turn this guy around. The situation in Florida was not the best for him, no goalie coach and no confidence from the organization left him twisting in the wind. At 6'6" with all the skills he needs you don't simply throw him away.

Tortorella has played out his welcome. His approach to the game simply doesn't work with the players we have. So it's either trade the team or replace the Coach, Look for a puck possession guy, who likes an up tempo attack. Tell the Sedins and Kesler to quit needlessly getting hurt blocking shots, it isn't what they get paid for.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Canuck-One wrote:It looks like some are looking at a complete tear down and start again. I like the look of this line up;

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen
Burrows-Kesler-Kassian
Higgins-Horvat-Matthias
Weber-Dalpe-Hansen
Sestito

Hamhuis-Tanev
Garrison-Corrado
Stanton=Bieksa

Lack
Marstrom

If an upgrade can be made at any of these positions you make it. If not stay the course. I also have no problem keeping Booth but trading him and Edler for assets seem to make better sense. It's too bad about Edler as he was really tracking as a #1 D but he has lost his confidence and I'm not sure why. So I doubt we get a large return. Keep Markstrom. He wasn't a highly regarded prospect for nothing. He has all of the tools and athleticism required to be a #1 in the league he just needs coaching. I see Rollie as the guy who could turn this guy around. The situation in Florida was not the best for him, no goalie coach and no confidence from the organization left him twisting in the wind. At 6'6" with all the skills he needs you don't simply throw him away.

Tortorella has played out his welcome. His approach to the game simply doesn't work with the players we have. So it's either trade the team or replace the Coach, Look for a puck possession guy, who likes an up tempo attack. Tell the Sedins and Kesler to quit needlessly getting hurt blocking shots, it isn't what they get paid for.
No kidding, the Canucks bought Markstrom low. Why would they want to flip him for a draft pick?

As much as I like Edler, I think it is time for him to go. He makes mistakes after mistakes every night. The Canucks cannot afford to have two defensemen playing like that.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Next year is the year Gillis has to carve out some roster spots for the kids. I don't want to see any stupid UFA 'splashes' for 30+ year old guys on long term contracts. We have enough of that already.

Jensen-Sedin-Burrows
Sedin-Horvat-Shinkaruk
Higgins-Matthias-Kassian
Schroeder-Richardson-Hansen
Can't-believe-he-plays-in-the-NHL-Sestito

Ricky Schroeder can stick around as a utility guy. He's not a liability defensively, and has enough hockey sense to somewhat compensate for how retarded Tom is.

Something like that anyway. If Grenier, Fox, Gaunce or this year's first round pick makes the team ahead of Horvat and/or Shinkaruk, so be it.

My defense would stay pretty much the same, unless you can get a good return for Edler. I think trading him now would be 'selling low', and I'm not sure it would be worth it at this point.

Goalies would be Lack and Markstrom, unless Markstrom looks completely unplayable in camp/preseason.

Ownership doesn't really need to buy out anybody in this scenario, except Booth to create a roster space. This team is going to have boat loads of cap space if Kesler is traded and Booth is bought out ($13M+).

In this scenario you really could trade Kesler for futures only (draft picks, and young prospects). We really don't need anybody in the short term, assuming we don't have any illusions about winning now.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Some of the comments in this thread really have me scratching my head.

When did Garrison piss in everyone's cereal? Christ, the guy has been one of the top 30 DMen for points all season. You know who else is in that range? Guys like Brian Campbell and Jay Bouwmeester. His contract for his production is fine, you'll be hard pressed to replace him at that price.

Is the purpose of the rebuild to make the team better, or do you just want to make them as shitty as possible to score a first overall?
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
dbr wrote: Buy out Booth and Burrows (yeah yeah Doc)
Et tu Daveh?

Burrows has a season from hell, suffering two major injuries, and suddenly you're ready to stick the fork in?
Well you know what they say about making omelettes..
Only an asshole would refer to the "can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs" trope Dave.

And if, in this particular case, one had made the french connection before doing so...

... well one would be a 'Jumbo Grade A' asshole IMESHO.

Resist the temptation to even consider the idea of trading Burrows,

It was an idea spawned by the devil himself.

____
Try to focus on someday.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

BurningBeard wrote:Some of the comments in this thread really have me scratching my head.

When did Garrison piss in everyone's cereal?
The soap opera queens around here are jealous of his beard.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

herb wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:Some of the comments in this thread really have me scratching my head.

*Mod Delete!*

:lol:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

herb wrote:

Gillis should be. :lol:
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

BurningBeard wrote:Gillis should be. :lol:
:lol:

Gary does have a seriously nice beard...