The Rebuild

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: The Rebuild

Post by Meds »

Mondi wrote:LA doesn't given out NTCs, they do okay.

All I'm saying is that the NTC model is flawed and has bitten the Nucks in the past.

I'm sure Edler would have re-signed without it, under some circumstance. Maybe it would be worth exploring that, instead of handing out NTCs/NMCs to players who are not top 10 at their position in the league.
Let's have a look at the top 7 teams and how many players they have signed to contracts that include a form of NTC.

Boston has 11.
Anaheim has 6.
Chicago has 9.
Pittsburgh has 10.
San Jose has 8.
St. Louis has 8.
Colorado has 3.

Vancouver has 9.

The Avalanche have O'Reilly and Stastny to re-sign this year, so it will be interesting to see if they give them NTC's.

I will say that if Kesler is on his way out, and O'Reilly tests the free agent waters, the new GM should move a mountain or two to secure O'Reilly.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Mondi wrote:LA doesn't given out NTCs, they do okay.

All I'm saying is that the NTC model is flawed and has bitten the Nucks in the past.

I'm sure Edler would have re-signed without it, under some circumstance. Maybe it would be worth exploring that, instead of handing out NTCs/NMCs to players who are not top 10 at their position in the league.
Be careful with just relying lists from the 4th period or cap geek and websites of that ilk. Dustin Brown has a partial NTC as reported by MSM which cited GM Lombardi as the source. Furthermore, the previously negotiated contracts involving a player they traded for like a Carter had a modified NTC which is up in the air whether they will still "honor" it.

An NTC effectively lowers the AAV of a contract since it's something a player gives up to give them greater control of where they will play if the situation comes where their services are no longer wanted in the team they signed for.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Mondi wrote:Sure, I understand the purpose of the NTC/NMC. But I think you have to decide whether the cap savings are worth the player being able to dictate to the team.

The idea is that rather than carry dead weight contracts (i.e. Booth, Ballard, Luongo*) you spend the extra money on signing guys and not being hamstrung if they need to be traded.

That is predicated on not having bad contracts which is a different issue.

*Not necessarily performance related.
Yeah, it is because more times than not you can move the contract. Bobby Lu's contract was movable, but a combination of factors, i.e. unrealistic expected returns and at the time (unwillingness to retain a portion of the contract) made it very difficult to move him. Kesler with his NTC and Edler with his NTC can relatively easily be moved. The main issue is that the expected return is less because the number of teams they are willing to go to is limited.

One last point neither Booth nor Ballard had an NTC, the problem with them is that their on-ice performance didn't match the contracts they signed for and were effectively unmovable in terms of a trade.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Mondi wrote:My point was that if you have a shit contract (i.e. Booth), you cannot afford to overspend on guys to avoid the NTCs.

And if as you say, Kesler and Edler can be moved notwithstanding their NTCs...what is the point in having them?

Either you give them out and respect them, or why bother?
Uh, an NTC is given because it's a negotiated item desired by players where it provides them the opportunity to control where he is moved if his services are no longer desired in the city he originally signed with. See: Iggy. He exercised his NTC to block a trade to Boston and went to Pittsburg instead a couple of seasons ago during the trade deadline. That is the point and why players bother to negotiate them into their deals during the UFA years.

If you don't offer it as part of the negotiation, several other teams likely will, and you end up losing said player for nothing ... unless you trade him for scraps for "negotiation rights" during the period between the end of season and Free Agency season.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The only way to get rid of NTC is to negotiate them out in the CBA. that won't happen without major concessions from the owners. It is the one way players can exercise control, at a specific age. If a team is not willing to give them out they won't be competitive in the FA market, or in re-signing their own players. Some teams seem successful in the modified NTC. I would like to see us exercise the modifies versions more if we can but to eliminate them ain't gonna happen. It is the new landscape.
The only HW the Canucks need