The Rebuild

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Could the Canucks and Oilers be good trade partners?

Post by The Brown Knight »

Rede wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:he has Vanek at $9.5M per season. :lol:
Fuck - Gillis would get his balls chopped off by the Acquillini Group if he signed Vanek for that amount of money.
Mats Sundin in says Hi.
Apples and Oranges bro.

Sundin is a HOF'er and was a franchise player throughout his career. Canucks were a dark horse to compete for the cup in 2008/09, and so when the Rangers couldn't clear cap space to sign Sundin, Sundin agreed to Gillis' 1 year offer of 10 million. At the time, Gillis had massive cap space and Sundin would be off the books at season's end anyways.

Vanek is a different scenario. Canucks are no longer cup contenders, nor are they dark horses........even with Vanek here at 170% above market value. Vanek isn't worth the kind of money that you want to pay him........for two years nonetheless!

I'm not suggesting that the Canucks tank for a few years.

What I'm suggesting is that the Canucks remain smart with their cap and make smart cap hit decisions, while hitting an absolute home-run with a potential Kesler deal.

Signing Vanek to 9.5 million for 2 seasons should not even be debatable.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Rede
CC Veteran

Post by Rede »

The Brown Knight wrote: Signing Vanek to 9.5 million for 2 seasons should not even be debatable.
Firstly, the guy makes 7.8 now. Secondly, we would need to overpay to attract him for the reasons you mentioned.

Beyond that, what good is free cap space? If the Canucks go with a younger roster they will have cap space to burn especially with the cap going up 6m this year and going up significantly again the following year when the new TV deal affects HRR.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: The Rebuild

Post by SKYO »

The highest MG would pay Vanek would be $7.5M-$8M per for 2-4 years, in-line to how long the Sedins are here.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

The Brown Knight wrote:Apples and Oranges bro.

Sundin is a HOF'er and was a franchise player throughout his career. Canucks were a dark horse to compete for the cup in 2008/09, and so when the Rangers couldn't clear cap space to sign Sundin, Sundin agreed to Gillis' 1 year offer of 10 million. At the time, Gillis had massive cap space and Sundin would be off the books at season's end anyways.

Vanek is a different scenario. Canucks are no longer cup contenders, nor are they dark horses........even with Vanek here at 170% above market value. Vanek isn't worth the kind of money that you want to pay him........for two years nonetheless!

I'm not suggesting that the Canucks tank for a few years.

What I'm suggesting is that the Canucks remain smart with their cap and make smart cap hit decisions, while hitting an absolute home-run with a potential Kesler deal.

Signing Vanek to 9.5 million for 2 seasons should not even be debatable.
He's so good you don't even know you're being trolled.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

dbr wrote:[He's so good you don't even know you're being trolled.
Lol.

If that's the case, then I tip my hat as I did fall for it hook, line, and sinker.

Well played Rede......Well played. :drink:
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

The Brown Knight wrote:
dbr wrote:[He's so good you don't even know you're being trolled.
Lol.

If that's the case, then I tip my hat as I did fall for it hook, line, and sinker.

Well played Rede......Well played. :drink:
I mean you.. well more the "gee, I don't think we're going to get Vanek at $4.5m" post before you realized what Rede meant.

IMO if the Canucks had any shot at a. getting Vanek to sign here and b. get him to also pass on five years of guaranteed salary, they'd need to probably beat out every other team on AAV by at least a couple million dollars. Even still I wouldn't sign if I were Vanek. He may be exceptional in already having signed a big money contract but we've seen time and time again that the younger guys don't compromise on term if they don't have to.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Lets hear what you'd do...
*cracks knuckles*

OK

This involves two players who would get the most in return for the Canucks who need to get younger and bigger.

My number one goal this offseason is for the Canucks to get a young #2 CANADIAN center, to play behind the Sedins, maturing to take over the #1 spot in time.

Every NHL championship team has the heart of a Canadian center in their top 6, iirc 9 out of the last 10 Cup teams had at least one Canadian center in their top two lines.

This will have to be the perfect storm of trades for Mike Gillis to keep his job...

--

draft day trade kesler to anaheim for etem, theodore, ottawa 1st
Anaheim wants Kesler, and they have a plethora of assets to trade to acquire him, they seem to be willing to give up Etem, Theodore is a good offensive dman with some decent size compared to Vatanen, Ottawa's 1st will be in the top 10 where we can draft a decent forward.

Next trade Philly...

♦ ͏trade edler + hansen to the flyers for either brayden schenn or sean couturier + luke schenn.
Philly gets help on defense, Hansen depth winger, he's become redundant with Burrows, Jensen and Kassian able to play RW on the top 3 lines. Originally Couturier seemed untouchable but Brayden is outplaying him stats wise this season so who knows with that. I'd be ecstatic with either.

So it's basically trading Kesler + Edler, Hansen for (B Schenn/Couturier), L Schenn, Etem, Theodore, Ottawa 1st.

This doesn't leave any room for one of the prospects, BoHo, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Fox unfortunately, but they can develop further for another season.

--

Filler UFA's July 1st:

Sign Steve Bernier for our 4th line.
Sign the vet JS Giguere for a year or two, he has Cup experience to help mentor our sophomore goalie next season.

New lines:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Etem - B Schenn - Jensen
Higgins - Matthias - Kassian
Sestitio - Richardson - Bernier

Garrison - L Schenn
Hamhuis - Tanev
Stanton - Bieksa
Theodore - Weber

Lack
Giggy

Just reiterate the most pressing need is to get a younger replacement for Kesler on the 2nd line and it has to be a Canadian center. idgaf.
Last edited by SKYO on Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I guess we let JS walk? I mean he doesn't have a place here anyway. Maybe TO wants him to play with Raymond?
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote:I guess we let JS walk? I mean he doesn't have a place here anyway. Maybe TO wants him to play with Raymond?
LOL

I'd be fine with that.

Or let him get into a bidding war with Santorelli and keep the cheapest.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Topper wrote:Or let him get into a bidding war with Santorelli and keep the cheapest.
Yeah. Which one of you two wants to be the new Andrew Ebbett?

I would keep Santorelli given the choice. Home town boy and all who really did it all for a few months there. I'd go as high as $1M. We will have the cap space. Keep Santorelli around, which will give us the option to give Shinkaruk some time in Utica.

I don't see us being players in the UFA market at all except for maybe 4th line depth, but even then I'd rather run with a guy like Archibald then go after more Sestitos.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Santorelli over JS all day. That's the kind of utility and depth all teams need. The guy has the size, can play all positions, get points and defend.

Will Gillis' ego let his former 1st rounder just walk?
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote: Sign Steve Bernier for our 4th line.
:shock:

Steve "Bad News" Bernier was involved in both of GMMG's bad trades!

Plus the fucker signed an offer-sheet which put GMMG in a very embarrassing position.

I don't think Gillis would touch Bernier with a 10-foot pole!

The guy is a fucking jinx if you ask me....
____
Try to focus on someday.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

SKYO wrote:Sign Steve Bernier for our 4th line.
Now I know what rock bottom for this team looks like, thanks.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Topper wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:I guess we let JS walk? I mean he doesn't have a place here anyway. Maybe TO wants him to play with Raymond?
LOL

I'd be fine with that.

Or let him get into a bidding war with Santorelli and keep the cheapest.
I'd be keeping Santorelli. Sign him for 2 years, $1 mil per year. He played his ass of for us, and if there is any chance he can do it again, I want him back. Plus, if he sucks, we can send him down for very little cap hit.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

JS may have some trade value. Not much mind you. But maybe an add in with another deal. I think on a team that can afford to, or has to, play him top six with decent line mates he could be productive enough.
The only HW the Canucks need