Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Postby Todd Bersnoozi » Mon May 12, 2014 4:34 am

ClamRussel wrote:
The fans? The "fans" can STFU. The fans will take whatever the Aquas dish up to them, smile, & bend over begging for more. This has been proven time & time again with each & every lock out. Fans say they're pissed & are going to stay away in droves. Yet the puck drops on yet another lock-out shortened season and the fans line up around the block to buy another 3rd jersey. The fans don't have the will power to stay away and send a message.


Not sure this is really true, especially after this season. If anything, the Aqua-men seem very concerned and susceptible to public/fan opinion. I think they wanted to keep Lou and ride him out a couple more years, but after the Heritage game mishap, they were finally willing to eat some salary and pulled the trigger to move Lou out of town. At one of the final games of the season, there was the "fire Gillis" chant from the fans and a couple days later, they fire their hand picked GM and bring in the much beloved hockey icon Trevor Linden, despite the fact he has no management experience of a hockey club at any level (not even pee-wee, bantam, college, junior) and has zero front office hockey experience. They give Trevor the freedom to do what he wants, even fire the coach who they brought in not even 1 year ago and had like a 5 year contract.

I think ticket sales took a big hit this past season and they don't like it. The Aquas seem to want to cater to the fans, have a product that will keep the fans coming and keep the building full every night. Even if they have to pony up and open up the cheque book to move out some unpopular personalities and some mistakes, they'll do it.
User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1206
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Postby RoyalDude » Mon May 12, 2014 9:10 am

Hockey Widow wrote:
No kidding. More so I think it is a fixation that develops when one decides to attack another. Like saying a GM is shit, you ignore all the good and just keep on keeping on about how bad they are. Then you decide the new pres isn't the right man and you go looking for proof that simply does not exist yet. It may, in the future and it may not.

Deciding to fixate on attacking someone and ignoring reality, it's a mental illness, a delusional disorder. As in all delusional disorders, when you are faced with someone who does not simply agree,100% with your view, you get paranoid and attack. Reality, logic, common sense fail you at that point and all you have left are the same old tired rants.

When the object of your obsession is no longer present, like any good boarder line personality, you quickly attach to another love object and repeat the pattern.

It is pretty predictable really. Just cut and paste all the rants from years past, change the names of the parties involved, and presto, your new obsessive compulsion is reborn. In other words, same old, same old.


Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa easy there, just because Island Nucklehead and I don't share your opinion on Trevl Lindens mission statement you don't have to tear us a new one.

In short HW, the waning fan interest at the box office and in general in this team speaks louder than words. The fans are bored with 'this group' and lack of youth to bring back all the warm and fuzzies. It's a dead horse but Trevor still believes? Yikes. He's either not listening to the fans nor watching the games or he's got a better poker face than I had originally thought
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4344
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Postby SKYO » Mon May 12, 2014 9:48 am

Well instead of thinking the team is a disaster RD, it's much funner to hope for the best and that our new GM can make some moves to get this team back into contention, it's easy to look back this season and the last two and write them off completely, however MG was so atrocious at seeing the gaping holes in our top 6 offense and the lack of a QB that this team had no chance.

MG was and still is an agent through and through, imo he didn't view the chemistry part of the team all that well, hence the teams demise, plus the injuries didn't help.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3257
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Postby BurningBeard » Mon May 12, 2014 12:57 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:We don't need bottom 6, 3rd pairing tinkering. The Canucks NEED more top 6 skill and talent and top pairing D-men which they don't have! Depth players? Not play young players? Thinking the current core can still get it done? Are you kidding me? Do you really want to see the same re-run next season HW? You must be a masochist.

LOL

I have no idea what the fuck you are on about.

Read between the lines RD. (I think she likes you). :thumbs:
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
User avatar
BurningBeard
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 838
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Postby BurningBeard » Mon May 12, 2014 1:04 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:When the object of your obsession is no longer present, like any good boarder line personality, you quickly attach to another love object and repeat the pattern.

When did this become a discussion about Strangelove, Don, and you?
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
User avatar
BurningBeard
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 838
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Postby Rumsfeld » Mon May 12, 2014 1:09 pm

Trying to reload with this core and scrape into the playoffs for a couple seasons would be a huge mistake. Like Calgary Flames management-style mistake.

Sell our vets now while they're worth something and accept one more shitty season where we rebuild through one of the best drafts ever. Two top tens in this upcoming draft and two top tens in '15 (including a lottery pick) and we'll be ready to reload via free agency to support our sweet crop of prospects.

We'll be a playoff team again in '16 and steadily improve from there if we do this right. It might suck for a year but come on, we've been through worse as Canucks fans.
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2632
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Pissed in the Canyon

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Postby Strangelove » Mon May 12, 2014 2:32 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa easy there, just because Island Nucklehead and I don't share your opinion on Trevl Lindens mission statement you don't have to tear us a new one.


UMMMMM.....

____
"I like to think that this team can get its mojo back" - Ryan Miller
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7163
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Postby Island Nucklehead » Mon May 12, 2014 3:21 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa easy there, just because Island Nucklehead and I don't share your opinion on Trevl Lindens mission statement you don't have to tear us a new one.


Don't drag me into your little giggle fit. I was merely pointing out that Linden's statements claim a very safe middle ground. Quite political, not ruffling any feathers, and he's not going to undermine the organizations credibility by blowing his own feet off. It's not possible he believes everything he says, but if he came out and said "we fucking blow" then I doubt he'd get much in the way of return on any trades and it's not likely to convince the season ticket holders to fork over another $10K. It's no secret this core is aging, has a lot of miles on it, and lacks much in the way of credible youth help heading into next season. Jensen and Horvat might stick with the big club, but expecting anything substantial out of them is asking a ton. Kassian might step into a top-6 role, or he might not. Lack might be an NHL starter next season, or he might struggle with consistency and work load. There's not a lot of positives we can take from last year, and we're going to have a new coach and front office to break in. It's entirely possible (and I suspect likely) that this team is not a playoff team next spring.

In short HW, the waning fan interest at the box office and in general in this team speaks louder than words. The fans are bored with 'this group' and lack of youth to bring back all the warm and fuzzies. It's a dead horse but Trevor still believes? Yikes. He's either not listening to the fans nor watching the games or he's got a better poker face than I had originally thought


I think he's being a politician, which is kind of what his position demands. Obviously the owners are worried about season ticket renewals and a declining brand. Obviously they know the team is not good enough (it's kinda why they fired the last guy and the coach). But cutting the rot is going to take more than just the 'easy' fixes, and it's going to take time. The trick for Linden will be to hit at home run with his GM hire, and the rest (coach, drafting, roster management) trickles down from there. It's a tall order. The good thing for the "real" fans is that the team is still profitable, will continue to spend money, and MAYBE we'll be able to afford a game while the team goes through their identity crisis and the suits take a breather from the lower bowl.
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4039
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Postby ClamRussel » Mon May 12, 2014 3:53 pm

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
The fans? The "fans" can STFU. The fans will take whatever the Aquas dish up to them, smile, & bend over begging for more. This has been proven time & time again with each & every lock out. Fans say they're pissed & are going to stay away in droves. Yet the puck drops on yet another lock-out shortened season and the fans line up around the block to buy another 3rd jersey. The fans don't have the will power to stay away and send a message.


Not sure this is really true, especially after this season. If anything, the Aqua-men seem very concerned and susceptible to public/fan opinion. I think they wanted to keep Lou and ride him out a couple more years, but after the Heritage game mishap, they were finally willing to eat some salary and pulled the trigger to move Lou out of town. At one of the final games of the season, there was the "fire Gillis" chant from the fans and a couple days later, they fire their hand picked GM and bring in the much beloved hockey icon Trevor Linden, despite the fact he has no management experience of a hockey club at any level (not even pee-wee, bantam, college, junior) and has zero front office hockey experience. They give Trevor the freedom to do what he wants, even fire the coach who they brought in not even 1 year ago and had like a 5 year contract.

I think ticket sales took a big hit this past season and they don't like it. The Aquas seem to want to cater to the fans, have a product that will keep the fans coming and keep the building full every night. Even if they have to pony up and open up the cheque book to move out some unpopular personalities and some mistakes, they'll do it.


I'm not saying Aqua or TL don't care about fans, I'm saying Trevor isn't going to report/cater to them & be transparent. And for good reason. There is also the assumption that the fans chanting "fire Gillis" is what got MG fired, that the owner listened to the populace. If anything it was the icing on the already baked cake. The more realistic angle is it was a coincidence and that the talks were in the works w/ Trevor since around the time of Gillis' rant on Team 1040 which reeked of desperation. He knew the writing was on the wall and was in the middle of a (soon to implode) power struggle. Trust me, we don't want TL telegraphing his intentions and yes the fans will come back regardless of what he does. They always do.
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3640
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Postby sagebrush » Tue May 13, 2014 8:16 pm

Don't care which straw broke MG's back. He's gone. Good luck to the next GM. The next guy needs to be able to recognize shrewd trades & pull the trigger. So far - Benning looks like the best bet.
User avatar
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 765
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:36 pm

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Postby SKYO » Wed May 14, 2014 7:06 pm

Dang, guess Linden has to be polite and give the Bruins a day to digest the loss.
Operation Get Benning.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3257
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Postby Betamax » Wed May 14, 2014 7:43 pm

Betamax wrote:But if Linden wants the total package, a guy that combines superior scouting acumen and MONSTER like communication skills, there's the one and only (REGIS) PIERRE McGUIRE:

Image

:D


And also loved by top NHLers ...

https://vine.co/v/MXiemVnhv9g

:D
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Postby Betamax » Thu May 15, 2014 10:46 am

Betamax wrote:
Betamax wrote:But if Linden wants the total package, a guy that combines superior scouting acumen and MONSTER like communication skills, there's the one and only (REGIS) PIERRE McGUIRE:

Image

:D


And also loved by top NHLers ...

https://vine.co/v/MXiemVnhv9g

:D


For everyone's viewing pleasure, Betamax proudly presents THE KISS seen around the NHL in resolutions of up to 720p(HD)!!!



How good is that? :D
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Postby SKYO » Fri May 16, 2014 10:38 am

Benning's agent should be contacting Linden right now, as Ray Shero is now available!!! :shock:
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3257
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Postby Aaronp18 » Fri May 16, 2014 11:02 am

SKYO wrote:Benning's agent should be contacting Linden right now, as Ray Shero is now available!!! :shock:


Benning's agent should be contact Pen's ownership!

If you had a choice where would you go - Vancouver or Pittsburgh?

If Linden wants Benning he better make that offer quick.
User avatar
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1744
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ClamRussel, Google Adsense [Bot] and 3 guests