Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Post by Betamax »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Looks like Treliving won't be our guy as Burkie snapped him up. Guess the Boston Pizza is a conflict of interest as I think the Pizza Hut chain is the Aqua-men's.
I don't think he was even considered one of the top candidates for Canucks. Didn't hear his name come up too much.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Betamax wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Looks like Treliving won't be our guy as Burkie snapped him up. Guess the Boston Pizza is a conflict of interest as I think the Pizza Hut chain is the Aqua-men's.
I don't think he was even considered one of the top candidates for Canucks. Didn't hear his name come up too much.
You mean in all of the meetings you sat in on with Linden and Co.?
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Mëds wrote:
Betamax wrote:
You mean in all of the meetings you sat in on with Linden and Co.?
No, I mean his name wasn't really mentioned in the rumors. Like, uh, Benning ... who's been floated around -- a LOT. I mean, when the Coaching position was open last season, it was pretty clear who were the three or four main candidates were.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Doug Wilson...
-----------------------------

*I think we'll be fine even if Jim Benning can't come here till after the draft as we have the capologist In-Gilman-We-Trust, who also seems pretty adept in handling the scouting department.

He's been busy scouting lately, he was said to be scouting Ehlers earlier this month.

He also re-arranged our scouting department to be more efficient and tactile over the past couple years.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canu ... story.html
The team has been criticized in recent years for not drafting more players from British Columbia and the Western Hockey League. The shakeup in the scouting department, unnoticed outside the organization when it occurred last summer, saw chief scout Ron Delorme redeployed to Western Canada and an expansion of duties for director of player personnel Eric Crawford.

Crawford now manages both pro and amateur scouting. He has assumed some of the administrative duties previously handled by Delorme, who replaced Harold Snepsts as the main regional scout in the west. Snepsts now works with senior adviser Stan Smyl scouting and recruiting undrafted players from college and junior leagues.

The restructuring was overseen by assistant general manager Laurence Gilman, whose staff of 16 amateur and five pro scouts is one of the NHL's largest.

“This is absolutely not a demotion for Ron Delorme,” Gilman said before Thursday's Canuck game against the Minnesota Wild. “Far from it. Not only is he still our chief scout, but we're putting our best scout back in a region where we need to do better.

“We felt we had been systemically undervaluing players in the western region. The moves that were made were not done specifically to draft more players from the west. It was done after an analysis of where players (to the NHL) were coming from and where we were devoting our resources. We felt we needed to improve our coverage in the west. It is our backyard, but it's also a very big yard and we needed to scout it more efficiently.

The team hasn't drafted a WHL player since 2008. Gilman said the Canucks have also bolstered their scouting in Ontario, repositioned associate chief scout Thomas Gradin to oversee Europe, and have established a chain of command for amateur scouting that includes regional chiefs.

Crawford, who worked his way through pro scouting to Canuck management, is being assisted by career amateur scout Ted Hampson.

“We felt on the pro side of things, the structure we had was working well,” Crawford said. “We wanted to establish the same type of structure on the amateur side. It's a challenge, for sure. You're talking about over 2,000 (professional and amateur) players around the world that we need to have knowledge of.”

Crawford reiterated Gilman's position that the aim isn't specifically to draft more players from Western Canada or Ontario. But he said successful organizations retain the good players they develop, and if the Canucks have players from the west it is more likely they will want to stay with the team.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

^ Good find Skyo.

I still think Gilman has a good shot, and I have no reason to believe he isn't qualified.

Lots of GM and coaching options available out there though.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

herb wrote:^ Good find Skyo.

I still think Gilman has a good shot, and I have no reason to believe he isn't qualified.

I think this is Benning's to lose!
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

SKYO wrote:

I think this is Benning's to lose!
Yeah, from all indications all signs points to Benning. Linden talked about ideally his GM being adept at player assessment with a scouting background and a good communicator. I haven't heard Benning talk too much, so I don't know if he's a guy that enjoys public speaking ... but I don't think it will be a problem if Benning (for the most part stays in the background if that's what he wants) and Linden could play a more active role as the face and voice of hockey ops.

But if Linden wants the total package, a guy that combines superior scouting acumen and MONSTER like communication skills, there's the one and only (REGIS) PIERRE McGUIRE:

:D
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Betamax wrote:But if Linden wants the total package, a guy that combines superior scouting acumen and MONSTER like communication skills, there's the one and only (REGIS) PIERRE McGUIRE:

If McGuire gets hired we'd all end up in AA.

"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Looks like Snider is making changes in Philly. Holmgren to president, Hextal new GM. unconfirmed but if true takes Hextal off the GM list. Really shaping up to be Benning.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philade ... ont-office
The only HW the Canucks need
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Hockey Widow wrote:Looks like Snider is making changes in Philly. Holmgren to president, Hextal new GM. unconfirmed but if true takes Hextal off the GM list. Really shaping up to be Benning.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philade ... ont-office
I wonder how Hextall rates Kesler and/or Edler? 8-)
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

I think the biggest negative to a Gilman hire is that he was Michael D. Gillis' right hand man. The Canucks may want to cut any association with the former GMMG's when it comes to such a high profile position within the organization.

But from the interviews I've seen of him, he's the opposite of Michael D. Gillis' when it comes to personality "type." A very good interview, engaging much more upbeat ... compared to the somethings dour type vibe you got from Michael D. ...... I think I would be fine if they promoted from within, but the one thing I'd like to know is what part he had had in The Cory/Bobby Lu debacle and if he agreed with the flip flop and over-valuation of Bobby Lu's market value. If so, that's a big negative, IMO.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Betamax wrote:But if Linden wants the total package, a guy that combines superior scouting acumen and MONSTER like communication skills, there's the one and only (REGIS) PIERRE McGUIRE:

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

ClamRussel wrote:

If McGuire gets hired we'd all end up in AA.
Well, I could see your point. As I suspect there will be a lot of celebration goin' on here. He will be like the Lebron James of Hockey General Managers. "He wouldn't come here to win just one Stanley Cup, not two, not three, not four, not five, not six, not seven..."

I truly believe that! :D
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Betamax wrote: Well, I could see your point. As I suspect there will be a lot of celebration goin' on here. He will be like the Lebron James of Hockey General Managers. "He wouldn't come here to win just one Stanley Cup, not two, not three, not four, not five, not six, not seven..."
The man is a genius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS6zjmq ... lpage#t=47
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

The only thing missing from that Mcguire drinking game is his need to list off every hockey program a player has ever played in after they have made a good play.