Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote: -(T) (asked when he hires GM how he sees himself functioning)
has a profile of a GM he would like, has a profile for whole group he would like, that will be part of hire.
Putting Candidate list together. He wants to make sure Hockey Ops team is well balanced.
Will work with GM on pro side, amateur side. Gives examples of being involved with how they use trainers, medical stuff etc.

-(T) Wants to have a GM by draft, hopefully earlier

-(T) (asked about qualities in a GM) says he has profile of what he wants team to look like, gaining permission to speak to certain people will be a challenge, thats when he will be able to speak more freely about it
Well the players will be in fit condition!

Regier, Feaster are out of work iirc so speaking to them will unfortunately come first.

But the primo assistant GM's will have to wait I guess till their teams are finished the season.
With the best of em might be going till close to the draft like Benning (bruins) McNab (ducks), Botterill (pens) and Joe Will (sharks)

Fenton (preds), Hextall (flyers) and maybe Shanahan are probably the best bet to get permission to talk to soon after Regier and fester.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

It's not uncommon for teams to refuse permission until after the draft, especially if the person is intimately involved in that area.

Front money is on Benning. He is heralded as the main brain trust in Boston but he hates the public eye. So whether he relishes the shot at being a GM in a hockey mad market is yet to be seen. But then this could make him a good candidate if Trevor is the face of the franchise.

I think we will have to be patient for a couple of months.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

mathonwy wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Trevl Linden trips me out, his Dolce skinny suits and suave pointy shoes and big bobble head and well trimmed beard. The dude was always overrated here cause of his community work which I found to be phoney, it was all self serving with the intention of building his business network post hockey. His Italian wife who for awhile was banging Peter Schaefer after Trevl was traded but the weird part is they get back together. And whats with the no kids? His boys can't swim? And what's with the Armstrong cycling and fitness centres? And why does he hate Pavel Bure? Weird.
You forgot to say "no homo". (not that there's anything wrong with that)
Nah, he didn't forget. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

herb wrote:Linden? Called it!

I don't really like the move, at face value anyway. Seems rushed and like ownership is just following the trend of hiring prominent ex players.
I can't believe one of the rumours I made up yesterday came true!! :thumbs:

No way was this "rushed" though 'oib.

In the presser today neither Linden nor Aquaman would answer the question of when #16 agreed to be prez.

Vague answers of "Oh we've been talking about #16 coming back to the team in some capacity for years..." :roll:

(like I said yesterday, in retrospect it seems by Gillis' comments on Friday that he had caught wind of this)

Speaking of today's presser and "Who Will Be The New GM?"...

Linden was asked when a new GM might be hired and said "Hopefully sometime in June" (paraphrased).

He also said something like "obtaining permission to speak to certain people can be challenging".

Put those two together and it sounds like the Assistant GM/VP of a playoff team is the primary target.

Rumour du jour: David McNab will be the next GM of your Vancouver Canucks! :thumbs:

(note the Vancouver connection) :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

Chris Chelios ;)
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

leaves are talking to Shanny. Offered him a "significant" role in management. Perhaps president??

Let BB do the discipline thing again. I like him better in that role!
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Listercat wrote:Chris Chelios ;)
Chelly is Greek not Italian.

Close but no sigaro! :)
____
Try to focus on someday.
CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Post by CorranHorn »

Teemu(e5)
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote:Put those two together and it sounds like the Assistant GM/VP of a playoff team is the primary target.

Rumour du jour: David McNab will be the next GM of your Vancouver Canucks! :thumbs:

(note the Vancouver connection) :wink:
Hell yeah David McNab is a supreme judge of talent and finding gems of players everywhere, as proven by the Ducks having a plethora of good players with size and skill.

Here he is talking about Rucchin. (crappy sound)

-

As an aside looks like Barry Trotz will be let go by the Preds, go from Torts to Trotz seems like a no brainer. :p

http://rinksidereport.com/2014/04/09/al ... lle-bench/
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

SKYO wrote: As an aside looks like Barry Trotz will be let go by the Preds, go from Torts to Trotz seems like a no brainer. :p
You have us mixed up with the Oilers. Rearranging the proverbial deckchairs doesn't solve the problem, even if it is funny. I guess if Trotz doesn't work out, we could rotate Linden from President through GM and the Head Coach positions over the next decade, ala Craig MacT and Lowe.

Hmm. but, going with Trotz would be kinda funny. Cherry would get the 2 names mixed up all the time.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I don't want to play predators hockey thank you very much in advance of your anticipated cooperation. :look:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

How is Barry Trotz defensive hockey any better than what we have now? Only thing from the Preds we'd want is Shea Weber.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Hank wrote:How is Barry Trotz defensive hockey any better than what we have now? Only thing from the Preds we'd want is Shea Weber.
I think it was more to keep the letters the same than getting a better coach.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Tciso wrote:
Hank wrote:How is Barry Trotz defensive hockey any better than what we have now? Only thing from the Preds we'd want is Shea Weber.
I think it was more to keep the letters the same than getting a better coach.
Ah, missed that part on the word-play...
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

And so it begins...
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports

Been told Phoenix Coyotes assistant gm Brad Treliving will get a chance to talk with Trevor Linden about gm job - #Canucks.