Could part of it be?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Could part of it be?

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
But having so many players forgetting how to score, the slumps we see, could not realistically have been predicted, I mean the whole team basically losing their offensive ability. Our offence has been declining no argument but the fall off we see is unprecedented.
Huh? Players forgetting to score could not have been realistically predicted? But then you say its been on a decline? It wasn't hard to predict, quite easy in fact especially when scoring started becoming extremely difficult for us half way through 2012. Two years this has been going on, what's difficult to predict?
You predicted Burrows having 2 goals in Mid-March? Did you predict BOTH Sedins missing time with injuries? Did you predict the Canucks to be the 4th most injured team in the NHL this season? With guys like Sedin, Sedin, Kesler, Burrows, Edler, Santorelli, Schroeder, Hansen, Tanev and Luongo all missing time?

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

So the teams current struggles is a complete blindside? Shit I need to rethink all of this.

Getting knocked out of the playoffs last season - 4 straight games and quite easily did not happen?

Oh woe is me, don't say it, we are starting to become conditioned to losing. The bar has been lowered in the name of saving Mike his job. Please lord save me from the excuses, mediocrity is now accepted amongst the Gillis lovers. Yay .500 hockey. Thank you Mike our fearless leader of the process. Godspeed
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote:So the teams current struggles is a complete blindside? Shit I need to rethink all of this.

Getting knocked out of the playoffs last season - 4 straight games and quite easily did not happen?

Oh woe is me, don't say it, we are starting to become conditioned to losing. The bar has been lowered in the name of saving Mike his job. Please lord save me from the excuses, mediocrity is now accepted amongst the Gillis lovers. Yay .500 hockey. Thank you Mike our fearless leader of the process. Godspeed
More quality bullshit from RoyalDud.

Most rational people predicted the Canucks would lose ground this season. Most predicted they would either get in as 3rd divisional seed or a wildcard. Not many predicted they'd be picking in the top-10. Everything that can go wrong, has this season (and really only since January) for the Canucks.

Do they need to be better, move some core pieces out, bring in fresh blood etc. etc.? Absolutely. But this probably isn't a team that needs to be torn down to nothing and completely rebuilt. I don't think this team needs to be the next Flames/Oilers/leaves, missing the playoffs for a decade in order to scratch and claw their way back. There are still good pieces here, and if the franchise plays the cards they have properly, this could be a quick rebuild.

The Anaheim Ducks had the 6th overall pick in 2012. Montreal had the 3rd overall pick in 2012. The key for the Canucks will be making wise selections with the high draft picks they get this year and maybe next, and hope Horvat was the right choice last year. A couple young guys getting into the lineup in the next 2-3 years could bring us right back into the mix.

There's no doubt that there needs to be more change than Gillis has provided so far. Dumping Booth in the summer gives the Canucks about $15M in cap space with 17 players signed. Kassian and Tanev are the only RFA's that are due for raises. Gillis has a lot of cap space to play with, and some serious trade pieces to dangle.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
There's no doubt that there needs to be more change than Gillis has provided so far. Dumping Booth in the summer gives the Canucks about $15M in cap space with 17 players signed. Kassian and Tanev are the only RFA's that are due for raises. Gillis has a lot of cap space to play with, and some serious trade pieces to dangle.
*Manual buzzer*

Gillis stands, before buying out Booth or Burrows, 28th out of 30 in the league in cap space

Yes, $15M you're projecting is more than he's had in the past but it is a pittance next to the rest of the league. The Canucks will be likely be outbid for most of the high end free agents unless they shed some more cap $$

Also, the stated plan is to get younger. How does he plan to do that through free agency with most of the top UFA's in their 30's already?
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (220.1 KiB) Viewed 1517 times
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Vader wrote: *Manual buzzer*

Gillis stands, before buying out Booth or Burrows, 28th out of 30 in the league in cap space

Yes, $15M you're projecting is more than he's had in the past but it is a pittance next to the rest of the league. The Canucks will be likely be outbid for most of the high end free agents unless they shed some more cap $$

Also, the stated plan is to get younger. How does he plan to do that through free agency with most of the top UFA's in their 30's already?
Have a look at the roster #'s. Only the Capitals have more players signed next year than Vancouver. The Canucks currently are 8th when you consider amount of cap/roster spot to fill. After Gillis buys out Booth, he will have 17 players signed, with $15.68M in cap space. That gives him $2.6M per roster spot to fill. That puts him around 13th. Think Phoenix Coyotes territory.

Then you start thinking about possible Kesler, Burrows and/or Edler trades and that number keeps getting bigger.

As to the UFA point, what's stopping him from replacing Booth/Burrows/Edler with a combination of Horvat/Shinkaruk/Jensen/Corrado next year, while replacing Kesler with a UFA like Callahan or Stastny? Furthermore, chances are that if Kesler or Edler move, whoever we get back will be younger.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Bye bye booth
Bye bye cap restraints
Hello free agency
I aint-a gonna cry-y

Bye bye booth
Bye bye sweet nothingness
pray the lord he goes bye- bye-hi
Bye bye booth goodbye

There goes our cap woes with someone new
hope they are happy, We sure were blue
He was our airhead from the day he came
Goodbye to playoffs that might have been

Bye bye booth
Bye bye
Hello happiness
I think I'm-a gonna cry

I'm through with his dance, I'm through him
I'm through with countin' goals that should have been
4.5 million reasons that I'm so free
we are done with boothy believe you me

Read more: Everly Brothers - Bye Bye Love Lyrics | MetroLyrics
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….