Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospects'14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Postby Betamax » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:17 am

RoyalDude wrote:Skyo, Nylander is 5'-11", 170 lbs barely. You don't go from a naturally inherent RNH bean pole to a naturally big boned 195 lb Bo Horvat in some sort of miraculous DNA bone mass shape shifting that turns you into a natural born that way stump like Domi or Smyl unless you make like SOB and hit the Roxy on a regular basis or Roid up, give your mullet a shake.


I get you point. Yeah, I think you'd have to analyze his skeletal frame and project whether his body could support an extra 20lbs, naturally. Also, the kid's metabolism also plays a factor. Some people, no matter how much they eat can't maintain weight. MSL is small in stature but is "thick and a wide lower body - tree trunk legs like Crosby. Gretzky on the other hand, had a slight body frame, but he had the advantageous of having hockey IQ that was BEYOND GREAT. 8-)
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Postby Per » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:45 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Skyo, Nylander is 5'-11", 170 lbs barely. You don't go from a naturally inherent RNH bean pole to a naturally big boned 195 lb Bo Horvat in some sort of miraculous DNA bone mass shape shifting that turns you into a natural born that way stump like Domi or Smyl unless you make like SOB and hit the Roxy on a regular basis or Roid up, give your mullet a shake.

Oh, come on! Lots of 17-yo kids are skinny and then add muscle mass by the time they're twenty.
User avatar
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Postby BurningBeard » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:00 pm

Per wrote:Oh, come on! Lots of 17-yo kids are skinny and then add muscle mass by the time they're twenty.

Is that what your boyfriend did? :lol: Hiyoooo!

Sorry Per, that was too hard to resist (like your boyfriend).

I have a disease, I'm sorry. :(
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
User avatar
BurningBeard
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 846
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Postby Per » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:26 pm

Seriously though, i weighed a mere 67 kg when I was 17. By the time I had finished my military service at age 20, that had increased to 76 kg. And look, sure we did some physical training in the military, but that's nothing compared to what an elite hockey player would do, so, adding 10 kg between age 17 and 20 would not seem strange to me, and that'd translate into some 22 medieval weights whatever you call them.

You know, people say Canada is metric, but.....
User avatar
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Postby Meds » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:36 pm

BurningBeard wrote:
Per wrote:Oh, come on! Lots of 17-yo kids are skinny and then add muscle mass by the time they're twenty.

Is that what your boyfriend did? :lol: Hiyoooo!

Sorry Per, that was too hard to resist (like your boyfriend).

I have a disease, I'm sorry. :(


Like his boyfriend? :look:

:lol:
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3211
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Postby RoyalDude » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:24 pm

Sure, we all fill out 'a bit' 5-10 lbs but the way some of you are going on, it's like u all think that Nylander is eventually gonna turn into a stump like Bo Horvat. Not gonna happen
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4377
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Postby Meds » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:47 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Sure, we all fill out 'a bit' 5-10 lbs but the way some of you are going on, it's like u all think that Nylander is eventually gonna turn into a stump like Bo Horvat. Not gonna happen


The dude is bang on with this.

The only way Nylander puts on 20lbs is if he grows another 2 inches in height too.

Guys that pack on 20-30 pounds of muscle between the ages of 18-22 are generally sporting a frame of 6'4" or more.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3211
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Postby Island Nucklehead » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:37 pm

Meds wrote:Guys that pack on 20-30 pounds of muscle between the ages of 18-22 are generally sporting a frame of 6'4" or more.


30 pounds would be excessive. But even Kane packed on 20 pounds since he was drafted. Bryan Little and Steven Stamkos both put on 15.

Depends on the kind of training he does, and what his optimal playing weight is. A guy like Eberle was drafted at 174, and plays at 180 these days.

All things being equal, go for the bigger guy, but when you're talking about a vast difference in talent (generally, not saying that's the case here) I think you have to at least consider it. Nylander could very well wind up being quite similar in size to Markus Naslund. A guy that a lot of people wanted in a potential Kesler-Chicago deal was Teuro Teravainen, who was drafted at 165 pounds. It will take a couple patient seasons with Nylander, but he's certainly not too small to play in the NHL.

Personally, I'm hoping Nylander's performance at the U-18's was enough to bump him into the top-5, and the Canucks wind up with someone like Dal Colle or Draisaitl.
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4081
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Postby Lancer » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:29 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Meds wrote:Guys that pack on 20-30 pounds of muscle between the ages of 18-22 are generally sporting a frame of 6'4" or more.


30 pounds would be excessive. But even Kane packed on 20 pounds since he was drafted. Bryan Little and Steven Stamkos both put on 15.

Depends on the kind of training he does, and what his optimal playing weight is. A guy like Eberle was drafted at 174, and plays at 180 these days.

All things being equal, go for the bigger guy, but when you're talking about a vast difference in talent (generally, not saying that's the case here) I think you have to at least consider it. Nylander could very well wind up being quite similar in size to Markus Naslund. A guy that a lot of people wanted in a potential Kesler-Chicago deal was Teuro Teravainen, who was drafted at 165 pounds. It will take a couple patient seasons with Nylander, but he's certainly not too small to play in the NHL.

Personally, I'm hoping Nylander's performance at the U-18's was enough to bump him into the top-5, and the Canucks wind up with someone like Dal Colle or Draisaitl.


Please stop with this Draisaitl nonsense. The kid has only exhibited one pace - junior pace - even though he excels at that pace. He just screams, "Junior Star, NHL flop" to me. When his decision time gets drastically in the faster pro game, I don't think he'll be able to adjust.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1363
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Arnprior, Ontario

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Postby Betamax » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:42 pm

Lancer wrote:Please stop with this Draisaitl nonsense. The kid has only exhibited one pace - junior pace - even though he excels at that pace. He just screams, "Junior Star, NHL flop" to me. When his decision time gets drastically in the faster pro game, I don't think he'll be able to adjust.


I can't say I watched him play to make such a judgement but I think he has the best nickname in hockey right now.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Postby Diehard1 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:47 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Skyo, Nylander is 5'-11", 170 lbs barely. You don't go from a naturally inherent RNH bean pole to a naturally big boned 195 lb Bo Horvat in some sort of miraculous DNA bone mass shape shifting that turns you into a natural born that way stump like Domi or Smyl unless you make like SOB and hit the Roxy on a regular basis or Roid up, give your mullet a shake.


Horvat was 211 pounds last year at the combine. He's much bigger than most think. He's now listed at between 203 and 206 pounds. When he fills out fully will probably be 210 or 215 which is plenty big enough.

Nylander is small but he's definitely got a ton of skill. I still see Trevor going for Ritchie over him.
Diehard1
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 560
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:48 am

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Postby Nuckertuzzi » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:20 am

SKYO wrote:Shitty we finally got a high pick but it's sandwiched between two superb drafts in 2013 and 2015, haha just our luck, ah well.


Good chance for for all three, no? 2013 check, 2014 check, can all but ink the checkmark on 2015.
Nuckertuzzi
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:52 pm

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Postby Arachnid » Sun May 18, 2014 1:04 pm

I'm really hope'n Draisaitl drops to 6. We need skill AND power and Leon would be ideal. He looked good in the Worlds against the vets. Maybe he really is NHL ready next year. Would be ideal fit for Bo & Brendan.
Stop lowballing our pick and aim high!

Deutschland! Deutschland! Deutschland!
There is no such thing as climate change...there is no such thing as climate change...there is such thing as climate change...
Arachnid
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4944
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Postby RoyalDude » Sun May 18, 2014 1:29 pm

A lot of scouts feel he should go no. 1 arachnid but some also feel he will drop. Apparently the Oilers have their hearts set on him
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4377
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Postby SKYO » Sun May 18, 2014 2:29 pm

Arachnid wrote:I'm really hope'n Draisaitl drops to 6. We need skill AND power and Leon would be ideal. He looked good in the Worlds against the vets. Maybe he really is NHL ready next year. Would be ideal fit for Bo & Brendan.
Stop lowballing our pick and aim high!

Deutschland! Deutschland! Deutschland!


Why I want to move up to at least the #5 spot, I think we could realistically make a trade with the NYI swapping picks, with us adding a roster player as they really want to win next season and so their 2015 pick won't be in lottery contention for Buffalo next year.

#5 you're guaranteed one of MDC or Draisaitl, and not as likely but possibly even Bennett if Edm is serious about the big german and burkie/flames go for the powerforward MDC.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3323
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BurningBeard, Google Adsense [Bot], mathonwy and 5 guests