Page 16 of 39

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:24 am
by Lancer
rats19 wrote:
$lacker wrote:Anyone else think the league may throw Linden a bone for all his hard work getting the lockout to end and let the Canucks win the lottery tomorrow :)
6.1% chance of that happening... :roll:
Question is, who would you want the team to pick in that event? My choice would be Eckblad. Bennett and Reinhart may make good Top 6 centres, but IMO Eckblad has realistic promise of being that franchise defenceman.

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:36 am
by Boston Canucker
Lancer wrote:
rats19 wrote:
$lacker wrote:Anyone else think the league may throw Linden a bone for all his hard work getting the lockout to end and let the Canucks win the lottery tomorrow :)
6.1% chance of that happening... :roll:
Question is, who would you want the team to pick in that event? My choice would be Eckblad. Bennett and Reinhart may make good Top 6 centres, but IMO Eckblad has realistic promise of being that franchise defenceman.
I agree. I'd want Ekblad. We've got solid D but have never had a stud, clear #1. Who is to say if he really turns out to be one, draft busts happen of course, but he seems from all accounts primed to be that guy. Build around him, Horvat etc over the next 3-5 years. I could live with that.

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:36 am
by SKYO
Man the tough choice of landing 1st overall ha, I'd go the Avs route though and take the uber forward, an influx of top centers is the way to go, plus down the road we can trade one of them for a good dman.

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:07 am
by Lancer
SKYO wrote:Man the tough choice of landing 1st overall ha, I'd go the Avs route though and take the uber forward, an influx of top centers is the way to go, plus down the road we can trade one of them for a good dman.
Hmmmmm....... like the Oilers have done the last bunch of drafts??? :|

How's that working out for them??? :lol:

Like I said, Reinhart or Bennet may turn out to be quality 2nd-line centres but Ekblad can be that franchise Dman that anchors the blueline for years to come. Draft him and all of a suffen that blueline stops looking so old in terms of top-4 talent.

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:14 am
by rats19
Mynhl mock draft

Has us getting nylander and panthers getting ekblad

Of course nylander is the smallest guy in top 10

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:38 am
by SKYO
Lancer wrote:
SKYO wrote:Man the tough choice of landing 1st overall ha, I'd go the Avs route though and take the uber forward, an influx of top centers is the way to go, plus down the road we can trade one of them for a good dman.
Hmmmmm....... like the Oilers have done the last bunch of drafts??? :|

How's that working out for them??? :lol:

Like I said, Reinhart or Bennet may turn out to be quality 2nd-line centres but Ekblad can be that franchise Dman that anchors the blueline for years to come. Draft him and all of a suffen that blueline stops looking so old in terms of top-4 talent.
Oilers took a lot of wingers though, its like a ferrari with no engine, I believe that was the metaphor we had before with Bure and Mogilny, all that talent on the wings is kinda worthless without bonafide centers.

However I'd be ok taking Ekblad if we can get someone like Brayden Schenn or Sean Couturier in a Kesler or Edler trade with Philly.

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:47 pm
by SKYO
rats19 wrote:Mynhl mock draft

Has us getting nylander and panthers getting ekblad

Of course nylander is the smallest guy in top 10
It all depends on a few factors, NYI letting the Sabres have their pick or not, I can see the Sabres taking Ekblad 1st overall if they have the NYI 5th overall as well.

And/or the Burkie pick if he goes for the big power forward Ritchie.

Things will shift a bit if those things happen, some may drop or not, but if nothing changes in people's predictions on who will get drafted and we stay at 6th, we should be left with Ritchie, Nylander and Ehlers to choose from.

Ehlers would be awesome but I'd go with Nylander due to skill, speed, agility and him being a center/winger.
Ritchie is injury prone and has had some concussion issues already.

5pm countdown! http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl ... -1.2610618
Buffalo Sabres, 25.0 per cent
Florida Panthers, 18.8
Edmonton Oilers, 14.2
Calgary Flames, 10.7
New York Islanders, 8.1
Vancouver Canucks, 6.2

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:23 pm
by theman
Are any of the centres in the draft rated to become true first line centres? If not, they I would take Ekblad, he does seem to become a stud D man.

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:11 pm
by vic
SKYO wrote:
Lancer wrote:
SKYO wrote:Man the tough choice of landing 1st overall ha, I'd go the Avs route though and take the uber forward, an influx of top centers is the way to go, plus down the road we can trade one of them for a good dman.
Hmmmmm....... like the Oilers have done the last bunch of drafts??? :|

How's that working out for them??? :lol:

Like I said, Reinhart or Bennet may turn out to be quality 2nd-line centres but Ekblad can be that franchise Dman that anchors the blueline for years to come. Draft him and all of a suffen that blueline stops looking so old in terms of top-4 talent.
Oilers took a lot of wingers though, its like a ferrari with no engine, I believe that was the metaphor we had before with Bure and Mogilny, all that talent on the wings is kinda worthless without bonafide centers.

However I'd be ok taking Ekblad if we can get someone like Brayden Schenn or Sean Couturier in a Kesler or Edler trade with Philly.
Oilers also did not have any good defenders on their team. Canucks don't have any problem on D - their problem is scoring goals, finishing, this is what they need to concentrate on moving forward either though a trade, fa or draft.

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:48 pm
by Knucklehead
ISS has Draisaitl at 6th where we will probably pick.

I would be happy with him, Dal Cole, if he falls, or Nylander.

Not a big fan of Ritchie or Virtanen where we will be likely be picking.

If by some happy/unlikely circumstance we get #1 I would like one of the Sam's, I would only take Ekblad if he fell to 6th.

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:23 pm
by Jovocop
vic wrote: Canucks don't have any problem on D - their problem is scoring goals, finishing, this is what they need to concentrate on moving forward either though a trade, fa or draft.
Depending on what months you are talking about, the Canucks could not score in January and February but they did score some goals in March and April. During the same period, the defense was a mess... giving up 3-on-1, 2-on-1, 2-on-0, breakaway numerous times. :(

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:10 pm
by vic
Jovocop wrote:
vic wrote: Canucks don't have any problem on D - their problem is scoring goals, finishing, this is what they need to concentrate on moving forward either though a trade, fa or draft.
Depending on what months you are talking about, the Canucks could not score in January and February but they did score some goals in March and April. During the same period, the defense was a mess... giving up 3-on-1, 2-on-1, 2-on-0, breakaway numerous times. :(
I'm not talking about months, I'm talking about years. They went from one of the most offensive teams in the league to one of the worst in the last 2-3 years.


This past season, the Canucks were just as good defensively, if not slightly better than, some of the elite teams in the NHL.

GF / GA / PP% / PK%
ANA - 3.2 / 2.5 / 16 / 82.2
COL - 3.0 / 2.6 / 19.8 / 80.7
CHI - 3.2 / 2.6 / 19.5 / 81.5
BOS - 3.1 / 2.1 / 21.7 / 83.7
PIT - 3.0 / 2.5 / 23.4 / 85.0
VAN - 2.3 / 2.6 / 15.2 / 83.2

Offensively? That's where the other teams take the cake. Fix the offense (which includes fixing the PP) and the team is fine.

They need goal scorers.

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:52 pm
by theman
Anyone going to be watching the draft lottery?

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:09 pm
by SKYO
theman wrote:Anyone going to be watching the draft lottery?
Just awaiting response on the interwebz.

If the nux win, it would be typical, the year in between MacKinnon and McDavid haha. aw poor canucks.

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:19 pm
by Hockey Widow
We keep the sixth. Panthers move up to 1st

Everyone else stays the same, well Buffalo drops to 2nd