Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospects'14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Post by ClamRussel »

RoyalDude wrote:Higgins on the 2nd line. The horror, the horror, the horror. Not to mention fellow Tweener - Matthias
I kind of think Kassian & Richardson just might have a shot at cracking the roster.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ClamRussel wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:I think Horvat makes it, and I think Shinkaruk is better suited starting in the AHL. Having a true offensive call-up would be fantastic when the inevitable top-6 injuries occur.
Does he not need to be returned to jr, as he will only be 19 when the season begins? He does turn 20 shortly after though.
Shinkaruk does not have to go back, but Horvat would. He's played (although injured in his final season) 4 years in the CHL, he can go to the AHL this year.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote: Hmmm, I'd be very happy if we get him at 6. A one two punch of him and Kassian? Look out L.A. Then draft Hunter Smith in the 2nd. Apparently Smith and Ritchie had a pretty good scrap this year. If we can't beat them with skill we at least become a team nobody likes to play
I think that would be a fucking nightmare for opposing D-men. Richtie is a very talented player, and Kassian is downright mean. I haven't seen enough of Ritchie's game (just the highlights), but Kassian plays with bad intentions. I can see those two wreaking havoc together for the next 10 years. Both of them have talent, it seems like Ritchie has more skill, which is fantastic because it's not like Kassian is a slouch in that regard. The other thing is that if Kassian can figure out the conditioning and how to be a consistent professional we could have quite the teacher for Ritchie.

Imagine Drew Doughty's tears melting the Ice at the Staples centre after 7 games of those two pounding the piss out of him. We might not win the series but whoever we play will know they were in one.

I don't think Nylander would be in the NHL for a couple season. Like Teuro Teravainen, he'll need to develop physically and adjust to the NA game. I'm fine waiting for that, but I'm not sure management will be. This team NEEDS some of it's youth to be impact players in the next 2-3 years. I can see guys like Ritchie and Virtanen being NHL players by 2015-16. Nylander might not be ready until 2017.

Personally, if the Canucks don't think Nylander has a above-average chance to develop into that high-end winger, they should go with one of the North American kids.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:I think Horvat makes it, and I think Shinkaruk is better suited starting in the AHL. Having a true offensive call-up would be fantastic when the inevitable top-6 injuries occur.
Does he not need to be returned to jr, as he will only be 19 when the season begins? He does turn 20 shortly after though.
Shinkaruk does not have to go back, but Horvat would. He's played (although injured in his final season) 4 years in the CHL, he can go to the AHL this year.
Why would either of them have to go back to junior? They are both 19. They can play in the AHL at 18.
Per AHL By-Laws, the age limit for eligibility to compete in the American Hockey League is 18 years or over, on or before September 15 of each season of competition.

http://theahl.com/faq-p137653
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: Hmmm, I'd be very happy if we get him at 6. A one two punch of him and Kassian? Look out L.A. Then draft Hunter Smith in the 2nd. Apparently Smith and Ritchie had a pretty good scrap this year. If we can't beat them with skill we at least become a team nobody likes to play
I think that would be a fucking nightmare for opposing D-men. Richtie is a very talented player, and Kassian is downright mean. I haven't seen enough of Ritchie's game (just the highlights), but Kassian plays with bad intentions. I can see those two wreaking havoc together for the next 10 years. Both of them have talent, it seems like Ritchie has more skill, which is fantastic because it's not like Kassian is a slouch in that regard. The other thing is that if Kassian can figure out the conditioning and how to be a consistent professional we could have quite the teacher for Ritchie.

Imagine Drew Doughty's tears melting the Ice at the Staples centre after 7 games of those two pounding the piss out of him. We might not win the series but whoever we play will know they were in one.
Meh.....the league would probably suspend them both for scowling at Doughty in warmup. They would be playing for Vancouver after all....
Island Mooseknuckle wrote: Personally, if the Canucks don't think Nylander has a above-average chance to develop into that high-end winger, they should go with one of the North American kids.
Yeah, that's a no brainer. :P
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Mëds wrote: Why would either of them have to go back to junior? They are both 19. They can play in the AHL at 18.
Per AHL By-Laws, the age limit for eligibility to compete in the American Hockey League is 18 years or over, on or before September 15 of each season of competition.

No, actually, they cannot. The NHL/AHL and CHL have an agreement. European players, I believe, can come play in the AHL at 18.
Players drafted and playing for CHL teams are ineligible to play in the professional minor leagues (AHL, ECHL) until they are 20 years old (by December 31st of that year) or have completed four years in major juniors.
Since Shinkaruk has played 4 years in the CHL (2010-11 to 13-14), he can go up. Horvat would be playing his 4th year of Major Junior this season, so he would have to be returned to London.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Mëds wrote: Why would either of them have to go back to junior? They are both 19. They can play in the AHL at 18.

No, actually, they cannot. The NHL/AHL and CHL have an agreement. European players, I believe, can come play in the AHL at 18.
Players drafted and playing for CHL teams are ineligible to play in the professional minor leagues (AHL, ECHL) until they are 20 years old (by December 31st of that year) or have completed four years in major juniors.
Since Shinkaruk has played 4 years in the CHL (2010-11 to 13-14), he can go up. Horvat would be playing his 4th year of Major Junior this season, so he would have to be returned to London.
Then Horvat needs to crack the Canucks. At this point I can't see his development being served overly well by another year in the OHL.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Island Nucklehead wrote:

I don't think Nylander would be in the NHL for a couple season. Like Teuro Teravainen, he'll need to develop physically and adjust to the NA game. I'm fine waiting for that, but I'm not sure management will be. This team NEEDS some of it's youth to be impact players in the next 2-3 years. I can see guys like Ritchie and Virtanen being NHL players by 2015-16. Nylander might not be ready until 2017.

Personally, if the Canucks don't think Nylander has a above-average chance to develop into that high-end winger, they should go with one of the North American kids.
That's a stretch for Ritchie to be impact ready in 2-3yrs, look how long it's taken Kassian not to mention other power forwards like Bertuzzi etc. 4-5 might be more realistic.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

ClamRussel wrote: That's a stretch for Ritchie to be impact ready in 2-3yrs, look how long it's taken Kassian not to mention other power forwards like Bertuzzi etc. 4-5 might be more realistic.
Maybe I should rephrase, Kassian has shown the ability to impact hockey games already. That was more my line of thinking. He's obviously still developing, but he's an NHL player that was playing in the league at 21. I also think Ritchie has a better skill set than Kassian.

They might not hit their full potential until they are 23-24, but they are capable of developing at the NHL level (ie size isn't an issue for them, it's having the speed/hands/brain catch up with the physical).
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Since Shinkaruk has played 4 years in the CHL (2010-11 to 13-14), he can go up. Horvat would be playing his 4th year of Major Junior this season, so he would have to be returned to London.
Wonder if it would be better off for Hunter to back to junior anyways since he basically lost a season of development and isn't the biggest guy to begin with.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

ClamRussel wrote: Wonder if it would be better off for Hunter to back to junior anyways since he basically lost a season of development and isn't the biggest guy to begin with.
I kind of doubt it. He was outscoring the likes of Gallagher (92 born) while being a '94 born player. I think he'd be better suited developing strength and conditioning at the professional level. The only thing going back to Juniors would benefit would be his ego.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Anyone else here following the Draft Profiles from CDC?

Anyway, they currently have the 6th and 5th pick from ISS being profiled:

via: http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id ... L|VAN|home

(Click on link for the Bio)

Name: Leon Draisaitl
ISS Ranking: 6
Position: C
Height: 6’1”
Weight: 204 lbs
Shoots: Left

via: http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id ... L|VAN|home

(Click on link for the Bio)

Name: William Nylander
ISS Ranking: 5
Position: RW
Height: 5’11”
Weight: 176 lbs
Shoots: Right

Now, here's the multi-million dollar question:

If you were solely going to rely on the "eye" test ....... which player here profiled seems "looks" the better fit to be integrated into the "Boston" style model that the Canucks are aspire to become? :mex:
Last edited by Betamax on Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Nylander is too pretty boy Dicaprio. We can't be drafting that
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

RoyalDude wrote:Nylander is too pretty boy Dicaprio. We can't be drafting that
DD looks the part of a German Terminator:

that's the look of someone you want to be on your side if you're going to battle.

But I do appreciate the smug look from William:

that's the look of confidence like, uh, "I know I'm pretty and I'm damn good!"

:mex:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote:Nylander is too pretty boy Dicaprio. We can't be drafting that

Just sayin'...