Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospects'14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote: And would you want me on your team?

Kane is crazy talented but he comes with that reclusive, moody, pavel Bure baggage. He's not one of the guys per say and nor does he care to be
all day everyday rd, he'll mature, he'll have his family here to whoop his ass into shape.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: And would you want me on your team?

Kane is crazy talented but he comes with that reclusive, moody, pavel Bure baggage. He's not one of the guys per say and nor does he care to be
all day everyday rd, he'll mature, he'll have his family here to whoop his ass into shape.
Too late my good man, he's his own man now. Especially with all that bling. I wonder if Brashear still has his yellow Ferrari.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:Diehard, I actually like Ritchie at 6.

The drop off point is after the 5th pick and Ritchie seems to possess the best intangibles in the next tier. Even if he doesn't pan out offensively, he could be a good third line mucked type

Virtanen has Booth written all over him. He doesn't use his linemates, terrible passer. Very one dimensional. Worry about his puck possession and Hockey IQ

Don't want any small mason Raymond's, not for the western comference

I also like Perlini not just because of his size and speed but he apparently has a high IQ hockey sense and great puck possession game. You need to be smart in todays game.'Can't stand meatheads who give up the puck early like your Booths.

After that in tier 2 I like Tuch, another giant with skill and smarts.

Ehlers, Kapanen, Nylander,'Fabbri and Ho sang strike me as a
bunch of Sam Gagner and Coglianos and not your mini bulls like Brenden Gallgher and Brad Marchand. No thank you

After Tuch I like McCann.

Draisaitl I'd like but he strikes me as the potential bust in the tier 1 group. Dal Colle I'd take ahead of Draisaitl and not a real big fan of Dal Cole either.

I'd be happy with Ritchie. Although I worry he ends up a meh player like his bro and ends up with career ending bad shoulders on s he starts hanging with the men of the NHL like Stojanov

Im with Craig Button, Virtanen is a late first rounder or a second rounder.
Agreed, Ritchie has a very low bust probability. Absolute worst case he's Steve Bernier who has been an NHLer for 8 or 10 years. I really don't see that happening but it's a possibility.

Have only seen Virtanen play twice and he looked decent, just not sure if he'll be able to translate the power/speed game to the NHL. It's very hard to do when you're only about 205. Can't comment on him too much though.

Perlini is like a show horse, he's a fabulour skater, great skills but always leaves you wanting more. He could be Jeff Carter or he could never make the league - I really can't get a good read on him. If we had a second first rounder I'd be up for taking him.

I haven't seen Draisaitl except for one period, sounds like a poor man's Thornton which would be nice. He's not a great skater but he's big and can hang on to the puck. My guess is given he will take a while to fill out completely that he would take a long time to reach his potential - he would need to be 220 or so to play his patient game at the next level otherwise he will just get bowled over all the time.

DalColle I've watched lots, really like his game. He's very shifty and has a good frame, though he badly needs to put on some weight. His legs look really skinny and he almost plays knock-kneed, something that will change when he puts on 30 pounds or so. I think he's about 175 and 6'2" so lots of room for growth. Not sure who he reminds me of exactly, maybe a Corey Perry type. Good skater, big frame, very good shot but will need a couple of years to get to an adequate size.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote:
SKYO wrote:
Too late my good man, he's his own man now. Especially with all that bling. I wonder if Brashear still has his yellow Ferrari.
ha, well the Jets don't really seem to have any good leadership on that team except maybe Ladd, but on this team it's stacked with leaders, just lacking depth/skill, I honestly think/assume Kane just wants out of Winnipeg like any sane, urbanized, young rich man would, in any case all that conflict/healthy scratched has dropped his value to where he's actually attainable now.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Apparently Virtanen scored 2 goals today in a 3-1 win over Sweden at the world U-18's. Martin Bazal got the other goal. Two local kids

Apparently Perlini was brilliant in the 7-2 exhibition win over Denmark. Collected 3 assists on a line with Konency.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

RoyalDude wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: Im with Craig Button, Virtanen is a late first rounder or a second rounder.
Didn't Button pick us to take Virtanen at 6?
Lol, I'm going back to Buttons previous ranking. Buttons a clown, I should stop reading his draft rankings

What are your thoughts on Virtanen?
I haven't seen Virtanen so I can't really comment. What I do find striking is the laundry list of question marks surrounding this year's crop. Even Reinhart projects as a no.2 or 1b. Doesn't sound like there's top shelf potential in the lot of them. Big difference from last year or next. Even the top ranked player is projected as a no.2 dman. Thank goodness Schneider wasn't traded for this year's pick. That said, it could certainly be worth trading up but depends on the price.
RoyalDude wrote:Apparently Virtanen scored 2 goals today in a 3-1 win over Sweden at the world U-18's. Martin Bazal got the other goal. Two local kids

Apparently Perlini was brilliant in the 7-2 exhibition win over Denmark. Collected 3 assists on a line with Konency.
I've watched Barzal since he was at BWC and his upward trajectory does not come at a surprise to me. He was at another level than his age group.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Lol, I'm going back to Buttons previous ranking. Buttons a clown, I should stop reading his draft rankings

Buttons the Clown? :?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Wow, that was fast! :drink:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:Wow, that was fast! :drink:

I see Rummy is lurking. You guys already hooked up with your flaps and booze for the weekend.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Wow, that was fast! :drink:
I see Rummy is lurking. You guys already hooked up with your flaps and booze for the weekend.
lol

So much Swedish love for the 50/50 Canadian/Swedish William Nylander, ask almost swedish hockey fan and they got nothing but praise for him, elite skills.

Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

SKYO wrote:So much Swedish love for the 50/50 Canadian/Swedish William Nylander, ask almost swedish hockey fan and they got nothing but praise for him, elite skills.
Cuz he's the best draft-eligible prospect they have this year. Steer clear of him unless you want to wait 3+ years for a 2nd line C who won't bowl anybody over.

Meh.... :?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

RoyalDude wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: Im with Craig Button, Virtanen is a late first rounder or a second rounder.
Didn't Button pick us to take Virtanen at 6?
Lol, I'm going back to Buttons previous ranking. Buttons a clown, I should stop reading his draft rankings

Watch the video AND LISTEN BC BOY RIGHT HANDED SHOT PHYSICAL AND CAN SKATE... Your Boy Button has him going to us at 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpbmydIO1aY
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Lancer wrote:
SKYO wrote:So much Swedish love for the 50/50 Canadian/Swedish William Nylander, ask almost swedish hockey fan and they got nothing but praise for him, elite skills.
Cuz he's the best draft-eligible prospect they have this year. Steer clear of him unless you want to wait 3+ years for a 2nd line C who won't bowl anybody over.

Meh.... :?

He could be the more talented Teravainen of this draft though, all he needs is some Patrick Kane like muscle, asap as he's 17 playing against men in MODO in the SHL, which will help him develop faster.
In a couple years he should ready to go and thats when Kesler's contract is finished.

Virtanen could be changing my mind though haha, in these under18 championships.

Ah well luckily there's still a lot of time to analyze these future draftees, and who knows what can transpire at the draft.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

SKYO wrote: He could be the more talented Teravainen of this draft though, all he needs is some Patrick Kane like muscle, asap as he's 17 playing against men in MODO in the SHL, which will help him develop faster.
In a couple years he should ready to go and thats when Kesler's contract is finished.
Naslund should be able to give us the straight goods then? No?

I'm not opposed to Nylander, but many scouts have him going in the 8-11 range.

For me, it's Ritchie or Ehlers. Both guys are playing in NA, for one, so both should have been scouted more regularly. Ritchie could go in the top-5, and Ehlers is looking like a dynamic player that could balance our attack nicely as a skill guy to compliment the size game we appear to be going for.

Kassian-Ritchie could be hard to pass up on the wings, and Ehlers has that top-end talent that could be a pure speed-sniper that we so desperately lack.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I thought I read in THN that Draisaitl has gotten comparison's to Joe Thornton, and that he's a LW but also plays C.....if this is true, then he should be the top choice. He's European, but he's playing in the Dub, so he's no stranger to the North American game, and puts up crazy numbers in the defense first league of the CHL.

After him.....

Dal Colle, Virtanen, or Ritchie. All of them get props for having a nose for scoring goals, and all of them have some size, Dal Colle apparently has the best shot of them all but he's a slighter frame. Either of Ritchie or Virtanen would be strong additions, they can score and take the body.

Ehlers is small. The Canucks don't need another lightweight, Shinkaruk will do nicely.