Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospects'14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Post by Per »

Nuckertuzzi wrote: The challenge is trying figure what version of the Twins will be back next year. Is it Torts' coaching that damaged their game, is it injuries, or is it simply father time catching up to them? Who knows, but if the Twins of this season return next year, I'm all for not being competitive because there's no point. This team is and will be as good as the Twins go and if they are indeed done, we'll just have to accept that reality, choke on their salaries and suck for a few more years to build for the team that comes after their contracts end.

If the Twins we saw the past couple weeks return for a FULL season, then there might be a possibility of retooling the team into a competitive one again.
The twins are not done. They perform well when on the national team*, so I'd say the problem has to be either the system played or their line mate(s). You saw a flash of the old twins in the last few games when the score didn't matter. Not sure, did Torts change the system in those games? Did he tell them to just go out and have fun? Any way, with a good rest this summer and a new coach next fall, chances are the twins bounce back and become 80 point players again.

*World Championship 2013:
Henrik 9 points in 4 games (4G 5A)
Daniel 6 points in 4 games (1G 5A)

Olympics 2014:
Daniel 5 points in 6 games (1G 4A)
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: On the small side though no ? I hear he is a very skilled player, admittedly seen nothing but highlights so I can't judge. The couple games I have seen Ritchie and Dal Colle as well as Ekblad I have come away impressed. Ditto for the Sams . Virtanen I am not sure about. He looks like he has the goods but towards the end of the year and playoffs he really slowed down.
Ritchie is very enticing for me, but I worry about him translating that physical dominance to an NHL level. He's playing against teenagers at 230lbs and dominating, I don't know if he will maintain that dominance against NHL defenders. Someone that large has to be seriously considered, though I do worry we're going to lack balance if all we take are large, physical forwards.

I'm liking what I'm hearing about Nikolaj Ehlers. Yes, he's slightly built, but he finished 4th in the Q in goal-scoring and 4th in points, apparently not playing with Drouin at even strength. He's drawn some comparisons to Bure and Patrick Kane. I think with the size we've already accumulated (Horvat, Jensen, Gaunce, Kassian, Mathias) up front that we can afford to add some dynamic play up there. Between Ehlers and Shinkaruk we could have two very dangerous snipers with speed to burn up front.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Is Nick Ritchie - Alex Stojanov 2? Big tough power forward comes with a bum shoulder and concussions? I seem to recall that Stojanov had the same type of injury bug Ritchie had prior to getting drafted. He will probably end up being a middle if the road player like his brother Brett down in Dallas

Ehlers, Nylander, Kapanen, Fabbri - too small and slight

Perlini - Benoit Pouliot 2

Virtanen - David Booth

Tuch - Famous Canucks 2nd round pick - American Rob Woodward

Fleury - Luke Schenn

I only want Sam Reinhart
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Does not matter who we draft, if they dont have a proper plan for developing them and a coach who knows how to, it will be a mute point.

AV sucked at properly developing young players and so far I am not sure JT can do it either. He didn't seem to do a good job in NY when he was there.

This is one place the President/GM/Coach all have to be on the same page.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: On the small side though no ? I hear he is a very skilled player, admittedly seen nothing but highlights so I can't judge. The couple games I have seen Ritchie and Dal Colle as well as Ekblad I have come away impressed. Ditto for the Sams . Virtanen I am not sure about. He looks like he has the goods but towards the end of the year and playoffs he really slowed down.
Ritchie is very enticing for me, but I worry about him translating that physical dominance to an NHL level. He's playing against teenagers at 230lbs and dominating, I don't know if he will maintain that dominance against NHL defenders. Someone that large has to be seriously considered, though I do worry we're going to lack balance if all we take are large, physical forwards.

I'm liking what I'm hearing about Nikolaj Ehlers. Yes, he's slightly built, but he finished 4th in the Q in goal-scoring and 4th in points, apparently not playing with Drouin at even strength. He's drawn some comparisons to Bure and Patrick Kane. I think with the size we've already accumulated (Horvat, Jensen, Gaunce, Kassian, Mathias) up front that we can afford to add some dynamic play up there. Between Ehlers and Shinkaruk we could have two very dangerous snipers with speed to burn up front.
I'm all for Ritchie assuming the top 5 goes as expected - if one of them drop then pick him, otherwise Ritchie's skillset is too difficult to find. The thing about him is he's actually skilled, not just big like a number of guys his size in junior. He's a very good skater and stickhandler, has a great shot as well. Obviously he's only 18 so will need to get stronger and in better condition but given his size I can see him playing at 225-230 when he's fully developed. Will just have less bodyfat and more muscle.

A guy like Ehlers I like as well, just not sure he will be able to translate his game to the NHL as well. He's speed, speed, speed - a very fast and good skater. He's also 160 pounds and will need at least a year, maybe two, to get up to the size he needs to be to make the NHL. He doesn't play with Drouin at ES but does on the PP and that helps, though Ehlers can score by himself no question. My thought with him is it's much easier to find a smallish, skilled, fast winger than it is a big, skilled, mean power forward type. Ritchie is a rare player, Ehlers not so much, so I take Ritchie over Ehlers for that reason.

The other guy is Nylander - he's a very good player who had a great second half of the season. With a very good U18 he could be in the mix.

Really I'm happy with any of Ritchie, Ehlers or Nylander - though I'd be happiest with Ritchie.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:Is Nick Ritchie - Alex Stojanov 2? Big tough power forward comes with a bum shoulder and concussions? I seem to recall that Stojanov had the same type of injury bug Ritchie had prior to getting drafted. He will probably end up being a middle if the road player like his brother Brett down in Dallas

Virtanen - David Booth

Fleury - Luke Schenn

I only want Sam Reinhart
Again - where is this 'bum shoulder' and 'concussions' coming from? He's had one concussion, 2 years ago, and played almost the whole season afterwards. He also had one shoulder issue, last year, and has played almost every game since. He's no more injury prone than any other player - on HFBoards they seem to think he's Brett Lindros for whatever reason - most of the posters on there don't do any homework so I'm not surprised.

Nick is much more skilled than Brett Ritchie, and he's much meaner. Brett is almost as big but plays a much less physical game. He fights guys like Dane Fox who are smaller than him. Nick is about 20 pounds heavier and fights guys like 6'7" Hunder Smith. Brett Ritchie in his draft year had 45 points in 53 games (24 goals) playing with guys like Ryan Strome, Dougie Hamilton and Nail Yakupov - he was traded about halfway through the season and was nowhere near the highest scorer on either team. Nick Ritchie had 74 points in 61 games (39 goals) in his draft season, was easily the highest scorer on his team.

They really aren't comparable players other than their last name.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote:Is Nick Ritchie - Alex Stojanov 2? Big tough power forward comes with a bum shoulder and concussions? I seem to recall that Stojanov had the same type of injury bug Ritchie had prior to getting drafted. He will probably end up being a middle if the road player like his brother Brett down in Dallas

Virtanen - David Booth

Fleury - Luke Schenn

I only want Sam Reinhart
Would you trade our 6th and BoHo for Reinhart? w/buffalo
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

SKYO wrote:Would you trade our 6th and BoHo for Reinhart? w/buffalo
No, but I'd move the 6th, Edler and Hansen for E. Kane and their 2nd rnd pick. The Jets get back two roster players, one with big "potential" in Edler if he regains form and they can use the 6th pick to draft one of those "potential" power forward types and sell that to their fan base.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Betamax wrote:
SKYO wrote:Would you trade our 6th and BoHo for Reinhart? w/buffalo
No, but I'd move the 6th, Edler and Hansen for E. Kane and their 2nd rnd pick. The Jets get back two roster players, one with big "potential" in Edler if he regains form and they can use the 6th pick to draft one of those "potential" power forward types and sell that to their fan base.
Mighty tempting,
hope Benning gets hired soon. :D
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Diehard, I actually like Ritchie at 6.

The drop off point is after the 5th pick and Ritchie seems to possess the best intangibles in the next tier. Even if he doesn't pan out offensively, he could be a good third line mucked type

Virtanen has Booth written all over him. He doesn't use his linemates, terrible passer. Very one dimensional. Worry about his puck possession and Hockey IQ

Don't want any small mason Raymond's, not for the western comference

I also like Perlini not just because of his size and speed but he apparently has a high IQ hockey sense and great puck possession game. You need to be smart in todays game.'Can't stand meatheads who give up the puck early like your Booths.

After that in tier 2 I like Tuch, another giant with skill and smarts.

Ehlers, Kapanen, Nylander,'Fabbri and Ho sang strike me as a
bunch of Sam Gagner and Coglianos and not your mini bulls like Brenden Gallgher and Brad Marchand. No thank you

After Tuch I like McCann.

Draisaitl I'd like but he strikes me as the potential bust in the tier 1 group. Dal Colle I'd take ahead of Draisaitl and not a real big fan of Dal Cole either.

I'd be happy with Ritchie. Although I worry he ends up a meh player like his bro and ends up with career ending bad shoulders on s he starts hanging with the men of the NHL like Stojanov

Im with Craig Button, Virtanen is a late first rounder or a second rounder.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

It's not off ice, party animal issues with Evander Kane, it's how he's in the dressing room. Apparently not a great teammate, tough to coach. Is a bit of a Barry Bond prima Donna in the dressing room. Thats what I've learned. Marches to the beat of his own drum which drives coaches crazy. I'd be kind of leery bringing that into the dressing room
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote:It's not off ice issues with Evander Kane, it's how he's in the dressing room. Apparently not a great teammate, tough to coach. Is a bit of a Barry Bond prima Donna in the dressing room. Thats what I've learned. Marches to the beat of his own drum which drives coaches crazy. I'd be kind of leery bringing that into the dressing room
So he's kinda like RD round these parts, but all is gravy around here so he should be alright in Rogers Arena.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

RoyalDude wrote: Im with Craig Button, Virtanen is a late first rounder or a second rounder.
Didn't Button pick us to take Virtanen at 6?
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ClamRussel wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: Im with Craig Button, Virtanen is a late first rounder or a second rounder.
Didn't Button pick us to take Virtanen at 6?
Lol, I'm going back to Buttons previous ranking. Buttons a clown, I should stop reading his draft rankings

What are your thoughts on Virtanen?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:It's not off ice issues with Evander Kane, it's how he's in the dressing room. Apparently not a great teammate, tough to coach. Is a bit of a Barry Bond prima Donna in the dressing room. Thats what I've learned. Marches to the beat of his own drum which drives coaches crazy. I'd be kind of leery bringing that into the dressing room
So he's kinda like RD round these parts, but all is gravy around here so he should be alright in Rogers Arena.
And would you want me on your team?

Kane is crazy talented but he comes with that reclusive, moody, pavel Bure baggage. He's not one of the guys per say and nor does he care to be