Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospects'14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Post by theman »

Vancouver stays in 6th, at least Calgary didn't win it.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Jets, leaves, Canes, Canucks, Sabres, Flames, Oilers, Sabres, Panthers.

And so back to hoping for Draistel Draisitl Draisaitl.

or Nylander / Ehlers.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

That terrible former GM on TSN projects us to take Jake Virtanen
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

theman wrote:That terrible former GM on TSN projects us to take Jake Virtanen
Depends on the new GM/Linden if they want size and skill, Ritchie/Virtanen could be avail at 6th.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

I'd take Virtanen or Ehlers. Both of them can fly and both of them have dangerous shots. Depends on whether Linden and Co. want size or versatile skill.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

This is very good news, means we will have a chance at one of the top 6 talents. I see two top tiers:

Reinhart
Ekblad
Bennett

DalColle
Draisaitl
Ritchie

With Ehlers just a step behind the top 6. Nylander is the huge wildcard, could be very good or could completely bust. I think I take one of the top 6 before the wild cards though again Ehlers could convince me with a strong memorial cup finish, if Halifax makes it.

I figure it will go:

Florida: Ekblad
Buffalo: Reinhart
Edmonton: Bennett

Florida needs a big D more than another center. Buffalo needs everything. Edmonton has a ton of wingers and that's about it.

After that I'm not sure. Calgary will likely take DalColle but Burkie does love skill with size so I could also see Ritchie go. The Isles will be interesting to watch, I'm not sure they keep their pick but if they do I see them going for Ritchie as a big winger is a much bigger need than another center, when they already have Tavares, Strome, Bailey, Nielsen on the roster. If they give up their pick will the Sabres pick two centres in the top 5? My guess is they would also go winger, leaving Draisaitl to the Nucks.

Regardless, the Nucks will get one of DalColle, Ritchie or Draisaitl, and I will be very happy with any of them. Any way you look at it a very good young player will be added to the pool. All are big bodies that are badly needed in the western conference.

Now with the 36th pick I really hope somebody falls - would love a Fabbri, Bleackley or Lemieux but it will be interesting to see what happens.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Would rather avoid Draisaitl like the plague. Kid may have some moves, but his moves have yet to get beyond junior speed. He just screams "junior-dominating ceiling" to me.

Just what I hear about Ritchie's injury/concussion issues saddled with questions about consistency... I dunno. They call this year one of the weakest drafts in years for a reason, I guess.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Poo poo
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Lancer wrote:Would rather avoid Draisaitl like the plague. Kid may have some moves, but his moves have yet to get beyond junior speed. He just screams "junior-dominating ceiling" to me.
oh hell naw, are you working for the Jets, leaves or Canes? trying to get him to fall you guys.

Draisaitl is the type you win Championships with, big body, hard to move off of the puck with hockey skills, he'd be perfect to go to war with, especially against all the Cali teams.
http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-draft-w ... draisaitl/
Skating and defensive awareness can be taught enough to be acceptable for success in the NHL.
Lancer wrote:Just what I hear about Ritchie's injury/concussion issues saddled with questions about consistency... I dunno. They call this year one of the weakest drafts in years for a reason, I guess.
This is why I would like to stay away from Ritchie, if I had a choice, hard to pass up on though, but we all know injury prone players can lead to disastrous seasons.
givemeda411
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by givemeda411 »

Diehard1 wrote:
Regardless, the Nucks will get one of DalColle, Ritchie or Draisaitl, and I will be very happy with any of them. Any way you look at it a very good young player will be added to the pool. All are big bodies that are badly needed in the western conference.

Now with the 36th pick I really hope somebody falls - would love a Fabbri, Bleackley or Lemieux but it will be interesting to see what happens.
The 2nd round looks interesting, I would love to land Lemieux, even if he's half as good as his father it will be worth it.

Dal Colle & Lemieux is what I'm hoping for.

I see the draft going like so...

Fla - Ekblad
Buf - Bennett
Edm - Draisaitl
Cal - Ritchie
Buf - Reinhart
Van - Dal Colle
Rede
CC Veteran

Post by Rede »

I don't think Reinhart drops to 5. If someone is going to drop the most likely scenario is that ekblad/reinhart/bennett go top 3 as expected, then Calgary takes Ritchie and one of MDC and Draisaitl drops.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Burke is known for surprising people with his 1st pick, other than the Sedins that is. Calgary has a lot of needs so who knows who he picks. Last year a lot of people were surprised to see Jones fall into Nashville's lap. Sometimes it goes according to plan and other times who knows. But it only takes one or two teams to take a different path and our options change significantly. I do doubt we get one of the top three. I can't really so see any of them dropping to 6th.

Other than the top calibre guys it is always a crap shoot to me.
The only HW the Canucks need
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Hockey Widow wrote:Burke is known for surprising people with his 1st pick, other than the Sedins that is.
Hmm...could he repeat history and move up to secure the other brother??
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Nuckertuzzi wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Burke is known for surprising people with his 1st pick, other than the Sedins that is.
Hmm...could he repeat history and move up to secure the other brother??
Highly doubtful.....he has no real bargaining chips.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Now that we're rebuilding, my hope is for the new regime to have a single-minded approach: how best to win a Cup in 5-6 years (yeah there's no better case scenario sadly). The first thing I'd look to are teams who win and what I can see is there aren't a whole lot of "highly skilled yet small" Euros lifting Cups lately. No doubt skill is critical. You need it to get to the dance but it's size, jam, character and leadership that seals the deal when you're at the dance. Guys like Ehlers, Nylander, should they live up to their potential, may be able to sell a few tickets but can you see these kind of guys making a difference up against the type of teams that typically challenge for Cups, the Bostons and LAs? Not to paint all of them with the same brush, there are a few exceptions, Datsyuk for instance, but they're rare and I'd rather go with the trend.

The first thing is to identify players who you believe will make the bigs and live up to potential, and from that list go for the guy you can picture a champion. I somehow get the feeling a guy like Trev knows what I'm talking about. I hope so.