Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospects'14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Arachnid
CC Legend

Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospects'14

Post by Arachnid »

Sorry to burst everyones bubble (except the RIGHT BikerDud) but we have to move forward.

The season is officially done, stick spoon in it and lets' talk needs in the draft.

I really think Edler and Kesler should have been sent away for picks this year and next. Buffalo facking gets it, why doesn't GMMG?

We have some great young prospects, lets add to it and look forward to 2018...

Lack SCF MVP!

The Top 15

T1. Sam Reinhart
Sam Reinhart
2013-14 Team: Kootenay League: WHL
Position: Centre Height: 6'1"
DOB: Nov. 6, 1995 Weight: 186 lbs.
2012-13 Statistics
Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM
Kootenay 72 35 50 85 +8 22
TSN Director of Scouting Craig Button:
Sam has been a dominant player for the Kootenay Ice since arriving full time as a 16-year old. He is superbly gifted and skilled and can dominate games in many facets. His intelligence stands out and he is always steps ahead of the play. Combined with excellent feet and hands, he is able to be a prolific offensive contributor. Versatile and adaptable to changing circumstances make him very difficult to keep in check.

T1. Aaron Ekblad
Aaron Ekblad
2013-14 Team: Barrie League: OHL
Position: Defence Height: 6'5"
DOB: Feb. 7, 1996 Weight: 216 lbs.
2012-13 Statistics
Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM
Barrie 54 7 27 34 29 64
Aaron is the proverbial 'workhorse' defenceman. Capable of playing significant minutes, he has a seemingly ability to get better the more he plays and he seems to thrive on these types of demands. Smart and capable of playing in all situations, he is also capable of dominating opponents. Defensively, offensively, skill game or physical game, Aaron can excel in all types of games. Top 2 type defence man.

3. William Nylander
William Nylander
2013-14 Team: Rogle League: Sweden - ALS
Position: Left Wing Height: 5'11"
DOB: May 1, 1996 Weight: 169 lbs.
2012-13 Statistics
Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM
Sodertalje J20 27 15 28 43 +14 14
William exudes confidence when he plays. Exceptional poise with the puck and is always looking to make threatening plays in the offensive zone. Excellent skater who is very difficult to check because of his agility and because he is always changing pace. Can make pinpoint passes in traffic and if you are his line mate, best be ready, as he will provide opportunities. Top line type player.

4. Leon Draisaitl
Leon Draisaitl
2013-14 Team: Prince Albert League: WHL
Position: Left Wing Height: 6'2"
DOB: Oct. 27, 1995 Weight: 178 lbs.
2012-13 Statistics
Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM
Prince Albert 64 21 37 58 +22 22
Leon is a blend of skill and power and comfortable in either element. His skill derives from excellent hockey sense and the ability to make plays and recognize what is unfolding. His power is more along the lines of being hard to deter and imposing himself on opponents, with a serious determination to make a difference. Skating is good with much room to improve. A Top 2 line type forward.

5. Sam Bennett
Sam Bennett
2013-14 Team: Kingston League: OHL
Position: Centre Height: 6'1"
DOB: June 20, 1996 Weight: 178 lbs.
2012-13 Statistics
Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM
Kingston 60 18 22 40 -2 87
Sam continues to get better and better. The one overarching theme in Sam's game is 'rising to the occasion.' It doesn't matter what is required, he finds a way to get in the 'guts of the action' and to make a difference to winning. Very good skills and is capable of playing in all areas of the game. Smart and reads plays well and is equally adept at setting up plays as he is at finishing them. Top 2 line type.

T6. Jake Virtanen
Jake Virtanen
2013-14 Team: Calgary League: WHL
Position: Right Wing Height: 6'1"
DOB: Aug. 17, 1996 Weight: 213 lbs.
2012-13 Statistics
Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM
Calgary 62 16 18 34 +25 67
Jake has undeniable skill. Excellent skater who has speed, quickness and power. Can beat defenders with his skating and when he gets an advantage, his size makes it almost impossible for a defender to get back on equal footing. Very strong shot and can beat goaltenders from out but also has the quickness in his hands to score in tight. Has the potential to be a dynamic scoring winger.

T6. Nick Ritchie
Nick Ritchie
2013-14 Team: Peterborough League: OHL
Position: Left Wing Height: 6'2"
DOB: Feb. 9, 1996 Weight: 218 lbs.
2012-13 Statistics
Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM
Peterborough 41 18 17 35 -10 50
Nick is a powerful player and when he is skating and driving hard, he is extremely difficult to stop. He has a nose for the net and will take the puck to the net and can score with a very good shot or in tight around net. Very good along the boards and can quickly win a puck battle and create an scoring chance. With his skating and size, he opens up lots of opportunities for his line mates. Players like him, are not common.

8. Kasperi Kapanen
Kasperi Kapanen
2013-14 Team: KalPa League: Finland - Elite
Position: Right Wing Height: 5'11"
DOB: July 23, 1996 Weight: 172 lbs.
2012-13 Statistics
Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM
KalPa U20 36 14 15 29 -3 16
Kasperi can be termed an 'all-round' player. More than that, he's comfortable playing in all the important areas of the game. He has all of the necessary skills and understanding to impact the game in all of its areas. Has an ease to his skating and he uses it to his advantage. Smart and takes advantage of opportunities. Competitive and determined, he finds ways to contribute and help the team be successful.

9. Michael Dal Colle
Michael Dal Colle
2013-14 Team: Oshawa League: OHL
Position: Left Wing Height: 6'1"
DOB: June 20, 1996 Weight: 184 lbs.
2012-13 Statistics
Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM
Oshawa 63 15 33 48 +19 18
Michael has the abilities to impact the game in multiple ways. Very good skater with speed and power and with his size, is the type of player who can 'go where he wants.' Smart and can make plays and has good puck skills in passing and shooting. Appears to be very comfortable on the wing and can create advantages for the team along the boards, at the net and with his skill. Players with these attributes are coveted.

10. Jakub Vrana
Jakub Vrana
2013-14 Team: Linkoping League: SHL
Position: Left Wing Height: 5'11"
DOB: Feb. 28, 1996 Weight: 183 lbs.
2012-13 Statistics
Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM
Linkoping J20 32 12 20 32 +3 49
Jakub is a very gifted offensive player. Excellent hands and is able to maneuver the puck into advantageous positions for himself. Very good shot with a quick release and is able to handle the puck in traffic. He sees offensive opportunities and is ready to exploit them. Skating is good, more quickness than speed but when he has a step or an opportunity, he holds it. A scoring winger.

T11. Anton Karlsson
Anton Karlsson
2013-14 Team: Frolunda Jr. League: Sweden - J20
Position: Right Wing Height: 6'0"
DOB: Aug. 7, 1996 Weight: 187 lbs.
2012-13 Statistics
Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM
Frolunda J18 16 14 13 27 +12 37
Anton is a player who plays in every situation in the game and excels in them. Excellent sense and is able to make plays that have a significant influence on the outcome of the game. Reads plays with the puck and without the puck and knows how to make a positive impact for his team. Skates well, very good puck skills and he makes others around him better. Determined and competitive, winning takes precedent for him.

T11. Haydn Fleury
Haydn Fleury
2013-14 Team: Red Deer League: WHL
Position: Defence Height: 6'3"
DOB: July 8, 1996 Weight: 207 lbs.
2012-13 Statistics
Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM
Red Deer 66 4 15 19 +4 21
Haydn has all the attributes of a two-way defenseman. Excellent skating base and he uses it defensively and to jump into the attack offensively. Very good puck skills and he passes well out of his zone and in the offensive zone to create scoring chances. Very good awareness with the puck and is threat with his shot which makes it hard to keep him from contributing. Competitive and continues to gain confidence and get better.

13. Nick Schmaltz
Nick Schmaltz
2013-14 Team: Green Bay League: USHL
Position: Centre Height: 6'0"
DOB: Feb. 23, 1996 Weight: 170 lbs.
2012-13 Statistics
Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM
Green Bay 64 18 34 52 +2 15
Nick has elite skill. His skating is excellent and it appears as if he's gliding past opponents. Exceptional agility and he's capable of beating opponents quickly in tight areas. Excellent puck skills and he can make plays that create outstanding offensive opportunities. Good shot and combined with his playmaking, keeps defenders off balance. Very smart and poised and can hold puck to allow plays to develop. Top line type.

14. Ivan Barbashev
Ivan Barbashev
2013-14 Team: Moncton League: QMJHL
Position: Centre Height: 6'0"
DOB: Dec. 14, 1995 Weight: 185 lbs.
2012-13 Statistics
Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM
Moncton 68 18 44 62 +9 36
Ivan is a determined and spirited player. Excellent leader who does so by example and has a focus on the team's best interests in all regards. Excellent hockey IQ in all regards and there is not a situation in the game that he can't make a difference in. Has the ability to 'step up' his game when necessary. Very good skills and can score as well as set up a play and is always in the 'guts of the action.' Off-the-charts character.

15. Roland McKeown
Anton Karlsson
2013-14 Team: Kingston League: OHL
Position: Defence Height: 6'1"
DOB: Jan. 20, 1996 Weight: 186 lbs.
2012-13 Statistics
Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM
Kingston 61 7 22 29 -24 33
Roland has the ability to be an offensive catalyst type defenseman. Very good at jumping into the attack and he creates offensive advantages for his team because of this dynamic. Very good shot and he is able to use it as a weapon but in a multi-faceted manner because he can make plays also. Good skater and he is able to use it to gain advantages. Competes well and has a skill set that could allow him to be a Top 2 type.
Honourable Mentions
The following prospects were close to cracking the Top 15, but were edged out in votes.

My pick is Jake Virtanen Big Fast Scoring Winger.... I know it's not the strong draft year, we can still dump 17 & 23 for '15. No shot at Sam but maybe, just maybe Connor.....
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

2015 is a better draft class but there are probably a dozen good prospects for this year. I also like Virtanen and Ritchie. Not that big on Draisaitl though.

Even if the team shits the bed and doesn't get McJesus next year Mathew Barzal and Jack Eichel are both phenomenal prospects. There is another kid in the OHL who is also very good - edit Travis Konecny. A lot of scouts are comparing 2015 to 2003 so it's not a horrible time to suck the hind tit. I would say stockpile for 2015 picks . Blow out Bieksa, Kesler and Edler.
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

I now read the league standings in reverse, no longer who can we catch; now, who can we hope catches us. There's no use "just" missing the playoffs...tank it up, boys, tank it up, let's get that pick up the board.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Yup hopefully they'll be a new GM at the helm before the draft.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:2015 is a better draft class but there are probably a dozen good prospects for this year. I also like Virtanen and Ritchie. Not that big on Draisaitl though.

Even if the team shits the bed and doesn't get McJesus next year Mathew Barzal and Jack Eichel are both phenomenal prospects. There is another kid in the OHL who is also very good - edit Travis Konecny. A lot of scouts are comparing 2015 to 2003 so it's not a horrible time to suck the hind tit. I would say stockpile for 2015 picks . Blow out Bieksa, Kesler and Edler.
FINALLY! Someone drink'n the same water (sic: beer) as me!

Fast, Big, Scorer....think Ducks....you get bonus points for passing '14 and going straight to '15 (something BD, in his fake troll/Tool never, ever did).

(as an asside Blobber...Hind Tit?! I mean really...this is a family site! :evil: )
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Boston Canucker wrote:I now read the league standings in reverse, no longer who can we catch; now, who can we hope catches us. There's no use "just" missing the playoffs...tank it up, boys, tank it up, let's get that pick up the board.
Hey Koooooooolaid! :thumbs:
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

SKYO wrote:Yup hopefully they'll be a new GM at the helm before the draft.
Oh great SYKO, go and ruin it before we even have a per chance to dream...
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:2015 is a better draft class but there are probably a dozen good prospects for this year. I also like Virtanen and Ritchie. Not that big on Draisaitl though.

The way things are looking we'll probably have decent picks in both drafts. Agreed, they should blow the team out and load up on picks and prospects. Add experience & leadership through free agency as needed.
Saw Barzal play for the BWC, just dominated play after play and made something happen every time he was on the ice. He might be a realistic pick for next year, doubt we could fall as much as the Sabres & Oil.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Blow out Bieksa, Kesler and Edler.
I actually thought about this as well (I.e. Trade those guys for picks), but that's way too risky of a strategy.

Even if rebuilding or retooling, you still need to have a solid veteran presence on the team so that the young guys can properly develop.........otherwise, you end up like Edmonton and Florida where kids end up taking on more responsibilities than they should be taking.

1) Keep Bieksa.

2) Package Kesler and Edler in a "hockey deal." Something similar to the Schenn brothers are Simmonds (if not them specifically, then something extremely similar - a proven young center that can still get better, a young PWF, and a young gritty defenseman).

Even with those above deals, the Canucks will still probably end up drafting high enough to get something special.

bottom line: don't just dump our core players for draft picks. Make legit hockey deals and get younger, bigger, and faster. Trading purely for draft picks is very risky, and will all but guarantee that you'll be in rebuild mode for 4-5 years........if you're lucky. Calgary and Edmonton haven't been so lucky.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I really don't think we have to worry. There will be changes at some level before next season. What they are, are anyone's guess.

I think we all knew we were on a downward spiral but this fall is very reminiscent of Nonis's last year, just a few weeks earlier. In some ways this is easier than waiting to lose the second last game of the season to be eliminated :mrgreen:

I honestly did not expect such a sudden and definitive rock bottom.
The only HW the Canucks need
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

I like a few of the big forwards as well, Ritchie, Virtanen, Perlini. Haven't seen Draisatl but opinions seem to be all over the place about him. The smaller skilled guys like Ehlers, Kapanen, Nylander would be very good additions as well, don't have guys like that in the system other than Shinkaruk.

Obviously would love a Reinhart, Bennett or Dal Colle but that's not happening unless we win the lottery. I'm leaning towards Virtanen given his bull in a china shop mentality and the fact he's a local boy.

My guess is the Nucks will have at least one more 1st rounder in addition to our own, as there will be some trades around the draft.

As for Travis Konecny, he's Bo Horvat's first cousin so would be cool to reunite them in Van.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I'm guessing we'll be picking somewhere 6-10 at this rate, I had heard the top 5 were pretty well set in stone (although I guess the teams making the selections have something to say about that) and it's nice to see a ton of variance in the 5-10 guys behind that group - if we're at 8 or 9 there is a pretty good bet there's going to be a real sizeable winger in the Ritchie, Virtanen mould or a pure skill guy like Nylander or Ehlers.. the team could use either in the system. And if those guys are all gone it just increases the likelihood that someone even more highly regarded falls to us.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I like the style of Virtranen, but not necessarily his stats. He's not exactly putting up numbers at the WHL level that scream scoring winger. But if he's got speed, and at 6'1" 213lbs he would be tough to knock off the puck.

Just please, please, please, NO MORE SWEDES!
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Mëds wrote:Just please, please, please, NO MORE SWEDES!
What if it's Nik Lidstrom II, or Henrik Zetterberg II? You gotta stop playing poker with Don Cherry...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Puck wrote:
Mëds wrote:Just please, please, please, NO MORE SWEDES!
What if it's Nik Lidstrom II, or Henrik Zetterberg II? You gotta stop playing poker with Don Cherry...
Or Foppa 2.0 :thumbs: