Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospects'14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Post by herb »

The guy who has me really intrigued is Leon Draisaitl. He is an offensive center with size and skill, and has scored at a rate of 1.64 points per game this season. As a point of reference, RNH scored at a rate of 1.54 in his draft year, Evander Kane scored at a rate of 1.57 and Tyler Seguin scored at a rate of 1.68. I have seen him ranked as high as in the top five and as low as 11th.

From what I've read he's not as aggressive as some of the other forwards available in the top 10, but I'd love for Draisaitl to fall far enough for us to pick him.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

herb wrote:The guy who has me really intrigued is Leon Draisaitl. He is an offensive center with size and skill, and has scored at a rate of 1.64 points per game this season. As a point of reference, RNH scored at a rate of 1.54 in his draft year, Evander Kane scored at a rate of 1.57 and Tyler Seguin scored at a rate of 1.68. I have seen him ranked as high as in the top five and as low as 11th.

From what I've read he's not as aggressive as some of the other forwards available in the top 10, but I'd love for Draisaitl to fall far enough for us to pick him.
He was a player that really shined at the wjc in Russia the year before last. I noticed he had excellent hockey sense and protected the puck like Malkin. I'm with u on the Leon bandwagon
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

herb wrote:The guy who has me really intrigued is Leon Draisaitl. He is an offensive center with size and skill, and has scored at a rate of 1.64 points per game this season. As a point of reference, RNH scored at a rate of 1.54 in his draft year, Evander Kane scored at a rate of 1.57 and Tyler Seguin scored at a rate of 1.68. I have seen him ranked as high as in the top five and as low as 11th.

His stock has risen a lot, he'll be picked in top 6 easy.
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Flip Kesler to the Ducks in the summer for Etem or Palmieri and Ottawas pick. Continue to shit the bed and land the 6 or 7 pick. Two picks in the top 10 gives Eye Bags a chance at landing Reinhart , Bennet or Ekblad.
Bang on, probably be around 8th overall pick (Ott.)

Wonder if we do that trade, and Florida wants Ekblad and he gets picked, if they could trade us that 3rd overall pick for our 8th and probably our 9th? Only because Florida has a lot of good young centers already.

Hometown boy Reinhart, or Bennet or Draisaitl one of them will be available at #3 if the Oilers get their dman.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well rumour has it that Florida is willing to trade their number one this year but it has to be for a somewhat established, good, top 4 on D or top 6 up front, roster player+.

Too bad we don't have Luongo available to trade :mrgreen:

But they might take a Tanev plus for their number one. Don't know what the plus would be.
The only HW the Canucks need
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote:Well rumour has it that Florida is willing to trade their number one this year but it has to be for a somewhat established, good, top 4 on D or top 6 up front, roster player+.

Too bad we don't have Luongo available to trade :mrgreen:

But they might take a Tanev plus for their number one. Don't know what the plus would be.
Ummmm..... Edler, anyone??? I mean, God knows he can be convinced of the off-the-ice perks pf playing in Florida, amiright? Maybe we can get Lou to do a sell job. ;)
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

This McCann kid is a Bo Horvat fast riser. Could end up being one if the top 3 players to come out of this class after all is said and done. Him, the swede Kempe and Ehlers could be the sneak steals of the draft. Dal Colle has bust written all over him. I want Draisaitl but he will go top 4. Virtanen has David blinders Booth written all over him the more I read his scouting reports. Craig Button didnt even have him in the first round.

Nicholas Ritchie is who we should be targeting. Big, tough, skilled. Perlini and Dal Colle and Virtanen are bust potential. I'd take Nylander or Kapanen ahead of them. Target - Ritchie, McCann, Ehlers. If they are gone target Nylander, Kapanen, Kempe, Fleury, Ho Sang

Canucks will be picking between 9-14
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

FFS - Gotta say, I'm really dissapointed in the fact that the team is pursuing the goal of making it into the playoffs; and I don't understand the short-sighted fanfare about them winning right now either? In my view the most exciting part of this 'shitty' season is the prospect of acquiring a decent draft pick and we're frikin blowing it. Achieving a 9th or 10th placing in the conference at season's end is like the absolute worst thing we could do...it's kinda like the 2nd best poker hand (not good).

If I was Gillis , I would play the backup goalie and put as many rookies i could into the line-up. He has an opportunity to achieve something really positive here.

I'll be very interested in hearing what all these 'rah rah lets win now rooters' have to say on draft day as we watch the quality draftees get picked up leaving us with the lesser quality options!? Rah Rah

So on Sunday, it's 'Go Buffalo Go', with 10 games left to stink it up. BUT i have a sneaking suspicion that we're so fucked up we don't even know how to fuck up properly going down the stretch. It'll be fitting end to a screwed up season to screw ourselves out of a decent pick.

Hmm yeah me's a little cynical for sure - i think it might be 'longsufferingcanuckitis'
cc oldtimer
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Ehlers is a runt . Dal Colle will be a stud . Also like Ritchie a lot . like Nylander as well
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side, Minions: The Top Draft Prospec

Post by Arachnid »

nuckster wrote:FFS - Gotta say, I'm really dissapointed in the fact that the team is pursuing the goal of making it into the playoffs; and I don't understand the short-sighted fanfare about them winning right now either? In my view the most exciting part of this 'shitty' season is the prospect of acquiring a decent draft pick and we're frikin blowing it. Achieving a 9th or 10th placing in the conference at season's end is like the absolute worst thing we could do...it's kinda like the 2nd best poker hand (not good).

If I was Gillis , I would play the backup goalie and put as many rookies i could into the line-up. He has an opportunity to achieve something really positive here.

I'll be very interested in hearing what all these 'rah rah lets win now rooters' have to say on draft day as we watch the quality draftees get picked up leaving us with the lesser quality options!? Rah Rah

So on Sunday, it's 'Go Buffalo Go', with 10 games left to stink it up. BUT i have a sneaking suspicion that we're so fucked up we don't even know how to fuck up properly going down the stretch. It'll be fitting end to a screwed up season to screw ourselves out of a decent pick.

Hmm yeah me's a little cynical for sure - i think it might be 'longsufferingcanuckitis'
That's pretty damn selfish and short-sighted there 'ster...

This is a company and as a company they want to make money. It is not a charity for fans to bitch and complain about or act like they are king fashizzle.

I don't think purposely tanking the season would do anyone good.

Let's say you were the GM (I know, I LAUGHED OUT LOUD when I typed that too) and you did the above and the team kept on winning?

What then? Pull your goalie in the 2nd period ala Keenan?!

It is what it is. My Tank it Torts Tank it™ mantra was what it was. A coach can't tank it. It goes against everything they do and say. A reaction to their unbelievable uninspired play at the most crucial time of the year.

GMMG could have by trading everyone like Buffalo did but they started winning (a little more) but are so far behind everyone there is no danger of getting a cold draft up their skirt.

I still think we will pick Top 10, maybe not 6th but 9 or 10 is still great ('Hello' Bo!).

Love the youth movement...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

nuckster wrote:FFS - Gotta say, I'm really dissapointed in the fact that the team is pursuing the goal of making it into the playoffs; and I don't understand the short-sighted fanfare about them winning right now either? In my view the most exciting part of this 'shitty' season is the prospect of acquiring a decent draft pick and we're frikin blowing it. Achieving a 9th or 10th placing in the conference at season's end is like the absolute worst thing we could do...it's kinda like the 2nd best poker hand (not good).
Because a losing attitude is exactly what this (or any other) team needs and wants going through their locker room. And the players want to lose so the team can draft someone to potentially take their job in the future.
nuckster wrote: If I was Gillis , I would play the backup goalie and put as many rookies i could into the line-up. He has an opportunity to achieve something really positive here.
1. You're not Gillis
2. Even if you were Gillis, it would be Tort's call on who plays in net.
3. I don't know how tanking the season is a positive thing, except for fans who accept losing as a good thing.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

I know...just when it got the point where I wanted them to lose every game, they are now climbing the standings.

For all those folks who espouse "tanking"....it's actually a really hard thing to do. First of all, making the playoffs means millions for the owners...even if it's only 2 home games and out...so there is always and incentive to make the playoffs. Secondly...Gillis apparently does not advise his coach to do anything. That was obvious after the Luongo Heritage classic fiasco. If there was ever a time for this GM to tell his coach who to play in goal..that was it, but nope. As for the players...they are bred to compete and want to win every game...plus fans have paid top dollar for tickets to see their team "try" to win. "tanking" is a lot easier said than done.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

I'm a definite minority it appears re: tanking. Just don't see the upside to winning right now when we've already basically put ourselves out of contention. So it's a b it of a schizo type of experience for me when I watch the games - part of me cheers when they score and play well (as per usual), but another part of me that has an eye on the 'big picture', sighs and thinks 'shit we're going to lose out on the more premium draft picks'. It's that simple. Don't know how that is contrued as self-centered. Yes ofcourse it 's a business, but it's also a stupid frikin game that we continually fixate on like a bunch of idiots. People/fans are going to show up for the games regardless (at least for the remainder of this year). It's really interesting to me how people are so dismissive about the prospect of acquiring a higher draft pick and hopefully a blue chip prospect for the future.
cc oldtimer
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

It's a delicate balance between winning to sustain a competitive culture in the dressing room (vice an 'okay with losing' culture - see Oilers, Edmonton), and losing in order to get a decent drafting spot. Anything 10 and up works for me. Nick Ritchie looks like the kind of kid the team needs in this version of the NHL. Draisaitl... meh. I've heard that he has only one speed of play - which works in the CHL, but won't cut it in the NHL. That Ehlers kid looks promising though. It would fit the Danish trend this team seems to be following. ;)

Let the competitive losing streak begin!!!
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

nuckster wrote:FFS - Gotta say, I'm really dissapointed in the fact that the team is pursuing the goal of making it into the playoffs; and I don't understand the short-sighted fanfare about them winning right now either?
You really think the team is made up of, and ran by, a bunch of heartless, apathetic, pussies who are just waiting to be told to call it in? Why would you bother wasting your time as a fan cheering for such a team?
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

nuckster wrote:I'm a definite minority it appears re: tanking. Just don't see the upside to winning right now when we've already basically put ourselves out of contention. So it's a b it of a schizo type of experience for me when I watch the games - part of me cheers when they score and play well (as per usual), but another part of me that has an eye on the 'big picture', sighs and thinks 'shit we're going to lose out on the more premium draft picks'. It's that simple. Don't know how that is contrued as self-centered. Yes ofcourse it 's a business, but it's also a stupid frikin game that we continually fixate on like a bunch of idiots. People/fans are going to show up for the games regardless (at least for the remainder of this year). It's really interesting to me how people are so dismissive about the prospect of acquiring a higher draft pick and hopefully a blue chip prospect for the future.
Wow, you really need to take care...of yourself more...it's just a company hockey game, nothing to get worked up about...

I'm a little concerned about your mental state. We are a tight knit Canuck community here and when one of us is suffering, we all do.
Maybe you should talk to someone?! :eh:
Do you play organized sports? I do and I love the camaraderie and the support we give each other.
Win or lose we try as a team. When one of us is down the others pick us up. We all have down days or games or months or seasons but buck up my friend :D

The cupboards are not bare....maybe a few years from now we will be an Elite team ('Hi' Don!) again.

You are certainly not alone here. We are all torn.
Maybe you prefer that. Maybe you are a tennis player that is all alone in the world. Nothing wrong with that. It's exercise, just seems really sad and kinda pathetic if you can be surrounded by your buds :thumbs:

Be hip!....
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)