Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospects'14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Post by SKYO »

Diehard1 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:ISS has Nylander ranked 5th, Draisaitl 6th, Perlini 7th, Tuch 8th, Ritchie 9th, Virtanen 10th, Ehlers 11th, Fleury 12th, Kapanen 13th in their latest April rankings
Nylander with a hattrick and 5 points total today against Slovakia. Slovaks aren't great but it's not like they were playing the Danes or Germans. Now tied for the lead in tournament scoring.

If he keeps this up for a few more games and shows well against the better teams he might be in the conversation for the top 5, let alone the #6 that the Nucks have. He's the very definition of a wildcard and is one to watch.
Thank goodness the top 5 are a supposed lock, Nylander is only 17 at 5'11 - 170, in 2-3 years he could should try to get to 195 lbs, which would be optimal for a speedy, highly skilled scorer/playmaker in the NHL.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Nylander is showing why it's a tough choice for me between him and Ritchie. I really like both players, would love to see both on the team though that's a pipe dream.

Speedy, ultra skilled centre or massive goal scoring winger? Both are big future needs. I still think Trevor goes for the big man but guess we will see what happens.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Diehard1 wrote:Nylander is showing why it's a tough choice for me between him and Ritchie. I really like both players, would love to see both on the team though that's a pipe dream.
May not be as big a pipe dream should Ducks disappoint in the playoffs.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Nuckertuzzi wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:Nylander is showing why it's a tough choice for me between him and Ritchie. I really like both players, would love to see both on the team though that's a pipe dream.
May not be as big a pipe dream should Ducks disappoint in the playoffs.
This draft is supposed to be a real toss up for the players between 6 and 15ish, but even still you have to think Ritchie and Nylander (and Ehlers while we're at it) will be off the board by Ottawa's pick at 10.

Still, gotta be a lot easier taking a risk with those two picks in hand even if you can't get two of those guys.. if you go for a smaller high end skill guy at 6 you can likely get Virtanen or Tuch or even Perlini or Kempe next, or if you go with Ritchie odds are some team does not take one of Nylander/Ehlers/Kapanen and they are your pick at 10.

Of course it's all fantasyland stuff. I don't know what it would take for the Ducks to part with that pick or how likely the team is to deal a major contributor like Kesler at this point but it's probably safe to assume it's not happening..
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

dbr wrote:I don't know what it would take for the Ducks to part with that pick or how likely the team is to deal a major contributor like Kesler at this point but it's probably safe to assume it's not happening..

Yeah likely not happening but the possibility is there.

If the Ducks don't get it done this year, Kesler would appear to be the perfect type of player they should be looking at to put them over the top. And we desperately need to accomplish at least one of two things this summer (preferably both) and that is A) to continue to replenish our youth/farm system and B ) mix up the core that has been incredibly stale the past several years. Edler should be a no brainer for B ) but that's not enough. The Twins are going nowhere, we all know that, and Burr is not a real tradable asset as far as getting a good return (although a sideways move might work if we can find one).

All I know is unless we can expect guys like Kassian, Jensen, or Horvat to make an impact in the top 6, and that's pretty unrealistic, we cannot come back with the same top 4 up front next year. I'd hate to part with Kes but it's something we almost have to do and it's just a matter of maximizing the return. Coming out of this year's draft with 2 picks in the top 10, making it 4 first rounders in the past 2 years, would go a long way in ushering in a new era of Canucks hockey. And a guy like Kes should be able to yield another line up ready prospect in addition to the pick. That's fair to give up for a Ducks team long on depth and expendable picks (2 in the first round) who's maybe only a big piece away from the top prize should they not get it done this year.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Lancer wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
rats19 wrote:Mock drafts have been saying nylander all along for Vancouver.. ;)
A lot of scouts say he is the most skilled player in this class, Reinhart, Bennett included.
skilled + small + soft + most of his stats playing in 2nd-teir leagues in Sweden = recipe for first-round failure. You look at the playoffs this year and years past, and this kid will get pulverized into the ice before he can think of a dangle. Let him go to Nashville or some place where not much is expected of him or the team.
If the Canucks draft Nylander, let's hope he doesn't turn out to be Anton Rodin v2.0.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Speedy, ultra skilled centre or massive goal scoring winger? Both are big future needs. I still think Trevor goes for the big man but guess we will see what happens.
Nylander or Ritchie hmm tough call, here's a new highlight vid for the wizard.

Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Can't help getting visions of Sandlak and Stojanov dancing in my head when thinking of Ritchie.

Nylander looks so much like a girl can't help but think of when another team picked a slick right-handed Euro who looks like a girl 6th overall, Nikita Filatov.

I know, I know...nuff with the bad vibes already.

Maybe to change our drafting luck we should decide who we want and pick the guy we don't.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Nuckertuzzi wrote:Can't help getting visions of Sandlak and Stojanov dancing in my head when thinking of Ritchie.

Nylander looks so much like a girl can't help but think of when another team picked a slick right-handed Euro who looks like a girl 6th overall, Nikita Filatov.

I know, I know...nuff with the bad vibes already.

Maybe to change our drafting luck we should decide who we want and pick the guy we don't.
So we're the George Costanza of NHL drafting?

____
Try to focus on someday.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Exactly..."every instinct has been wrong". Change the approach...worked for George. ;)
Last edited by Nuckertuzzi on Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Apparently Virtanen scored a spectacular goal today at the U-18's. I'm all in on the local kid now. Agree with Nuckertuzzi regarding Ritchie and Nylander
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

RoyalDude wrote:Apparently Virtanen scored a spectacular goal today at the U-18's. I'm all in on the local kid now. Agree with Nuckertuzzi regarding Ritchie and Nylander

He might be the hybrid between the two, speed/skill and size combined...with a bit of bite. Not much of a playmaker though as it appears with the lack of assists.

Thing is we could probably get him at 10th. Wouldn't mind moving down if we could score an additional 2nd or 3rd. Best way to take the decision making out of our hands, because you know who ever we pick 6th, the next guy(s) will be better.
Last edited by Nuckertuzzi on Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

RoyalDude wrote:Apparently Virtanen scored a spectacular goal today at the U-18's. I'm all in on the local kid now. Agree with Nuckertuzzi regarding Ritchie and Nylander
They had the game playing at work and I saw the goal. Absolute laser one-timer from the circle that sent the bottle flying a good foot and a half into the air. Swiss goalie came over quick but had no chance. The goal looked just like those one-timer bombs Kes likes to rip from the circles on the PP. Wouldn't it be nice to have another player on the team who could do that???
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Apparently Fleury was voted best player of today's game. Votes are made by both teams. Virtanen got the honour in Canada's first game of the tourney.

Pretty boy with a girls face - Nylander with 2 goals, 2 assists today. Runaway points leader of tourney

This Konechny(sp?) looks like the real deal. Apparently he's Horvats 2nd cousin. Him and Barzal will be battling it out for 3rd overall pick in 2015 behind McDavid and Eichel. Eichel looks to be USA's next big forward.

Draft Virtanen at 6. Trade with Ottawa, draft Fleury at 10. Two western Canadian boys, to kick off western Canadian boy - lindens tenure as the man in the charge to usher in the new era
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: Draft Virtanen at 6. Trade with Ottawa, draft Fleury at 10. Two western Canadian boys, to kick off western Canadian boy - lindens tenure as the man in the charge to usher in the new era
Anaheim has Ottawa's pick. You best hope Dallas knocks of Anaheim so they make a big push for one Ryan Kesler.