Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospects'14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Post by mathonwy »

Mëds wrote: Just please, please, please, NO MORE SWEDES!
Come on Mëds....

Seriously? You AND Vader?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Well there is tier 1 - Reinhart, Ekblad, Bennett

The next grouping is pretty much a coin flip between 4 and 12

You are gonna get a good prospect if you are picking in the top 12

Virtanen and Ritchie are probably the best of the next group and you will have to be picking top 5/6 to get them

Ehlers is the wild card as his stock is skyrocketing. He's the Jonathan Drouin of the draft

Drasaitl and Dall Colle scare me. Scouts are really mixed with these two

Perlini has bust written all over him

Nylander and Kapanen are wild cards like Ehlers

Fleury is the safe pick

I'm hoping we land Virtanen. Big, fast, tough and loves to score and is a bc boy.
Canucks will have to really tank to get him. I think he's going top 5

If we are picking 9th we are getting a good prospect. I hope we stay away from Perlini and Dall Colle. I like Drasaitl, Nylander, Fleury, Kapanen, Ehlers after Virtanen and Ritchie
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Mëds wrote: Just please, please, please, NO MORE SWEDES!
I think what you meant to say, was no 'soft/small players.'

I don't care what nationality the player is as long as they are belligerent, ill-tempered, and big. If said player doesn't fit said description, then he better have the skill of a Henrik Sedin or a Pavel Datsyuk.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Reading up on this McCann kid. Bob McKenzie has him ranked 12th. Button ranks him higher. Like his potential. If we keep shitting the bed we are getting a good prospect. Picks 4-12, flip a coin nobody in that range is separating themselves from the pack.

Would love to have Reinhart or Bennett though
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Flip Kesler to the Ducks in the summer for Etem or Palmieri and Ottawas pick. Continue to shit the bed and land the 6 or 7 pick. Two picks in the top 10 gives Eye Bags a chance at landing Reinhart , Bennet or Ekblad.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Flip Kesler to the Ducks in the summer for Etem or Palmieri and Ottawas pick. Continue to shit the bed and land the 6 or 7 pick. Two picks in the top 10 gives Eye Bags a chance at landing Reinhart , Bennet or Ekblad.

From what understand, and as always I am probably wrong, Anaheim offered two top prospects plus any pick Vancouver wanted. That coupled with the alleged Boston deal on the table for a 1st, a prospect and a roster player, obviously don't know who, and MG said no. Why? Because the Canucks still are shooting for a playoff spot and wanted/needed a roster player back for Kesler.

One would have to assume that MGs desire for a roster player may wain in the off season if we don't make the playoffs. So he might have a choice of some pretty interesting prospects thrown at him. Then there is still Chicago that covets Kesler.
The only HW the Canucks need
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Flip Kesler to the Ducks in the summer for Etem or Palmieri and Ottawas pick. Continue to shit the bed and land the 6 or 7 pick. Two picks in the top 10 gives Eye Bags a chance at landing Reinhart , Bennet or Ekblad.

From what understand, and as always I am probably wrong, Anaheim offered two top prospects plus any pick Vancouver wanted. That coupled with the alleged Boston deal on the table for a 1st, a prospect and a roster player, obviously don't know who, and MG said no. Why? Because the Canucks still are shooting for a playoff spot and wanted/needed a roster player back for Kesler.

One would have to assume that MGs desire for a roster player may wain in the off season if we don't make the playoffs. So he might have a choice of some pretty interesting prospects thrown at him. Then there is still Chicago that covets Kesler.
Ouch, if true the Ottawa pick plus Etem/DSP/Rakell would have been a nice package. Hopefully it's still there in the summer, because we aren't making the playoffs this year.

I wonder if 6-8 overall (our pick) plus 8-12overall (Ottawa's pick) would hypothetically be enough to move into the top 3? Would be something to consider if either Bennett or Reinhart are still available.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

There are 5 teams in the running for the top 3 group if this draft. Buffalo, Edmonton, Florida, Calgary, Islanders. Does Buffalo really have the Islanders 1st pick? Last year they hit a homerun with 2 high first round picks in D-men - Zadarov and Ritsolainen and seemingly will have a chance to do that this year. It's a safe bet that they are drafting forwards with those picks. Ekblad is guaranteed Oiler bound and the Flames are in rebuild mode around Monahan so they ain't giving up their pick either.

I only see the Panthers as a potential to pry a that 1st from to get into the top 3 if they land their. They already have an envious group of good young players. They need to start winning. Gillis as we all know only has one trading partner in the NHL - Dale Tallon. The Panthers are dying to get out rebuild mode. Problem is, would Kesler or Edler waive to go their. I don't think Tallon cares for trading a top 3 pick for two top 10 picks unless they (our pick and the Ottawa pick) are significantly higher than where they are now.

Don't see that scenario happening for us.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Deliberately tanking reflects badly on the organization and players. It also hurts the morale of the players and fans.

Kesler for Etem isn't too bad of an idea (I don't know anything about Palmieri and so I can't comment), but I'd much rather hold onto Kesler unless we're getting a young center in return (a center that has a reasonable shot of being a good first line center).

I love Bo Horvat and his potential, but this not a guy you want taking over the reigns from Henrik as your future number 1 center. Horvat replaces Kesler someday.........not Henrik.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

New Jersey picks 30th overall no matter what.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

mathonwy wrote:Image
Canucks are a few losses away to drop to 5th overall pick, screw this season and go for it.

Play Burrows 25 mins a night since he and Sedin cant score they wont win.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

dbr wrote:New Jersey picks 30th overall no matter what.
Oops.. forgot about that.

Thanks for the reminder!
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

RoyalDude wrote:There are 5 teams in the running for the top 3 group if this draft. Buffalo, Edmonton, Florida, Calgary, Islanders. Does Buffalo really have the Islanders 1st pick? Last year they hit a homerun with 2 high first round picks in D-men - Zadarov and Ritsolainen and seemingly will have a chance to do that this year. It's a safe bet that they are drafting forwards with those picks. Ekblad is guaranteed Oiler bound and the Flames are in rebuild mode around Monahan so they ain't giving up their pick either.

I only see the Panthers as a potential to pry a that 1st from to get into the top 3 if they land their. They already have an envious group of good young players. They need to start winning. Gillis as we all know only has one trading partner in the NHL - Dale Tallon. The Panthers are dying to get out rebuild mode. Problem is, would Kesler or Edler waive to go their. I don't think Tallon cares for trading a top 3 pick for two top 10 picks unless they (our pick and the Ottawa pick) are significantly higher than where they are now.

Don't see that scenario happening for us.
Well then maybe we should look towards the 2015 draft and trade our top 10 this year, Kesler and Edler for a top 3 pick next year. It's supposed to be a stronger one anyways. Fuck this year completely, not like our pick is guaranteed....
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Yeah! Hemsky with 4 assists to power the Sens past the Canucks in the standings!

Now where's that betting man (bed wetting mench!) Doc? :D
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)