Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospects'14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Post by Island Nucklehead »

BurningBeard wrote:
nuckster wrote:FFS - Gotta say, I'm really dissapointed in the fact that the team is pursuing the goal of making it into the playoffs; and I don't understand the short-sighted fanfare about them winning right now either?
You really think the team is made up of, and ran by, a bunch of heartless, apathetic, pussies who are just waiting to be told to call it in? Why would you bother wasting your time as a fan cheering for such a team?
I don't think any players purposefully "tank", but I don't think the Canucks have the roster players to compete with "good teams". With Kesler and Daniel out, I think the writing is on the wall for this season, and that's coming out in the body language and motivation of some players.
Arachnid wrote: Do you play organized sports? I do and I love the camaraderie and the support we give each other.
Win or lose we try as a team. When one of us is down the others pick us up. We all have down days or games or months or seasons but buck up my friend :D
Sure. Right now the Canucks are like that once-strong beer league team that has lost a couple of their best players due to their old ladies having kids. Hockey is still fun, but you go to the rink knowing you're probably going to lose. That affects the psyche...
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

One could argue MG is all about tanking, 9-10 months ago traded our young star goalie away for a draft pick, coupla weeks ago traded our franchise star veteran goalie for a young 3rd line center plus a AHL prospect goalie and then traded depth dman Diaz for a pick. :D

Not to mention he almost traded our #2 veteran center in Kesler at the deadline, and people still think he will be gone after this season is done if another team can offer up something better than Brandon Sutter + 1st + 2nd pick.

ANYWAYS haha this team has too much heart, too much of a winning attitude in their minds from the past few years to "tank it", we got some talent still left even after all these injuries of 2013/14, and they won't go down without a fight, this team just doesn't give up whether some fans want them to or not.

In all likelihood we'll win some games but in the end with all the injuries/losses this season especially after Hank got injured in January, it is just too much to overcome, the mathematical odds are against us.

Back on topic if we land in the top dozen of picks we should get another good serviceable forward player for the future, just hoping we can trade up to land a solid center.

But I still think we should get a dman as they take forever to develop, might as well start now! so when Hammer/Bieksa/Garrison get up there in age, we got a young big top 4 dman to take over.
Corrado, Hutton, Subban are the only young dmen we got to look forward to the future.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Jeeesus!! Arachnid!? Are you ok? Cause if I'm not mistaken you are kinda being sensitive and caring!! yeah... really. LOL Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great quality, I just never thunk it - never seen it coming from your way before. I've watched you on here for years ripping the dull and uninformed.

My wife would probably say I get a little too tightly wound via Canuck developments. I dunno what she's talking about though, cause my bouts of sleeplessness and irritability are over now once I came to terms with the Canuck 'crash' of 2014. Thankfully vitamin D seems to replicate some of the qualities that one would hope to get with anti-depressants. I only told her a couple of times that I was now done with Canucks and wasn't going to waste any more of my time or hers watching them. She didn't 'ride' me too bad when later in the evening she would find me watching them again on the downstairs TV with beer in hand.

Tomorrow is going to be great: grab the kayaks and head out with a friend onto a local lake, maybe have a few 'puffs' and be acquainted with what's relevant in life, before too long though I'll have to just reconcile within myself the fact that it's Saturday and there's no Canuck hockey on and Sunday is hardly worth waiting for since it's the lowly Sabres in town. LOL Fuck me! Is there a 12 step program for longsuffering NuckHeads? Did i mention that I'm taking work off for draft day and am booking a therapist for the day after?
cc oldtimer
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Arachnid wrote: Do you play organized sports? I do and I love the camaraderie and the support we give each other.
Win or lose we try as a team. When one of us is down the others pick us up. We all have down days or games or months or seasons but buck up my friend :D
Sure. Right now the Canucks are like that once-strong beer league team that has lost a couple of their best players due to their old ladies having kids. Hockey is still fun, but you go to the rink knowing you're probably going to lose. That affects the psyche...
EXACTLY! Finally! Someone that gets it....other than the beautiful and talented Hockey Widow
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

vic wrote:

3. I don't know how tanking the season is a positive thing, except for fans who accept losing as a good thing.
It is not about losing, it is about accepting the fact that making the playoffs has no benefit for this team.

It is about assuming that picking someone 6th overall vs. 12th overall can be a big difference in 5 years to where this will be.

I wrote this season off even before it started, I was curious to see how JT would do but to expect the same core to do anything different than we have seen for the past 2 seasons is wrong. Changes were needed and there are mitigating circumstances on why they didn't occur.

That was yesterday, I look toward the future and a higher draft pick is better.

I don't under how people can accept just making the playoffs is a good thing, except for fans that think you never know?
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Reefer2 wrote:
vic wrote:

3. I don't know how tanking the season is a positive thing, except for fans who accept losing as a good thing.
It is not about losing, it is about accepting the fact that making the playoffs has no benefit for this team.

It is about assuming that picking someone 6th overall vs. 12th overall can be a big difference in 5 years to where this will be.

I wrote this season off even before it started, I was curious to see how JT would do but to expect the same core to do anything different than we have seen for the past 2 seasons is wrong. Changes were needed and there are mitigating circumstances on why they didn't occur.

That was yesterday, I look toward the future and a higher draft pick is better.

I don't under how people can accept just making the playoffs is a good thing, except for fans that think you never know?
Every year the team makes the playoffs is beneficial from an experience standpoint. By your argument, everyone expect PIT, BOS, ANA, STL, CHI and maybe SJ and TBL should tank.

I'm sure LA is looking back at 2012 and wishing they missed the playoffs instead of squeaking in on the final day when Dallas lost. A top 14 draft pick would have been much better than what they ended up doing that year.

We've all heard, "play the rookies and young kids" - well, these rookies and young kids are playing for full time jobs next year, you think they are gonna tank to allow the team to make an acquisition to make it that much tougher for them?

Finally, although fans think tanking and getting a high draft pick is beneficial, it's not beneficial to the players at all. The higher the draft pick, the higher the chance of that draft pick making the team, the higher the chance of someone being out of a job next year.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Ehlers is a runt . Dal Colle will be a stud . Also like Ritchie a lot . like Nylander as well
Dal Colle has busy written all over him

Yes, Ehlers is a runt but if we are picking 11-14 and he is still available then we should take him,
We need some top shelf skill in our system, he has it. We got too much shut down prospects in the system.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Vic - every team is different, right now, right here the Canucks IMO is better off not making the playoffs and get ready for next season.

I do not want to hear from the GM once again that if it was not for injuries the season would of been different.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Reefer2 wrote:Vic - every team is different, right now, right here the Canucks IMO is better off not making the playoffs and get ready for next season.

I do not want to hear from the GM once again that if it was not for injuries the season would of been different.

The thing is, I could buy that making the playoffs would benefit the Canucks IF we could get healthy. With Kesler and Sedin (amongst others) banged up and out, there is absolutely no reason to expect anything from the Canucks this year.

Obviously depth is a major issue, because some teams are able to tread water or do well when injuries strike. The Canucks have proven unable to do that. This team needs to be completely healthy and have a good dose of luck to be competitive, without either there's little chance. This season is over.

Ideally, Gillis should be looking at sending Booth home/press boxing him, and bringing in another younger guy that might have a future with the organization. The absolute last thing we need is Booth getting hurt again, and the Canucks losing the ability to buy him out (again).
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Ehlers is a runt . Dal Colle will be a stud . Also like Ritchie a lot . like Nylander as well
Dal Colle has busy written all over him

Yes, Ehlers is a runt but if we are picking 11-14 and he is still available then we should take him,
We need some top shelf skill in our system, he has it. We got too much shut down prospects in the system.
No two little guys is enough for now.

As for Dal Colle he picked up 5 points tonight. Thanks for coming out.

Top 10

Bennett
Reinhart
Dal Colle
Ekblad
Draisaitl
Nylander
Ritchie
Mcann
Virtanen
Fleury

I see the Canucks picking 7- 9th. I hope Eye Bags trades up and gets a crack at one of the Sams or Dal Colle. All three of these guys look like future 1st line centres. Ekblad is ok but i don't see future # 1 d man there. More of a 2/3 guy imho.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Blob Mckenzie wrote: I see the Canucks picking 7- 9th. I hope Eye Bags trades up and gets a crack at one of the Sams or Dal Colle. All three of these guys look like future 1st line centres. Ekblad is ok but i don't see future # 1 d man there. More of a 2/3 guy imho.
I'm wondering what the odds are of the Canucks making some major moves at the draft. If Kesler and/or Edler are in play, chances are the Canucks could pick up 2 more first round picks this year. Three first rounders gives them plenty of chances to move up into the top-5 IMO.

Right now, they are slated to draft 11th. With more GP than any other team below them, chances are they will end up in the top-10. If they can pick up a 15-20 draft pick (maybe Detroit - Edler) and a late pick (maybe Chicago - Kesler), they should be able to package something to move into the top-5, especially given this is considered a weaker draft year.

The one team to watch is Buffalo. The Islanders owe them a 1st rounder either this year, or next (top-10 protected). If Snow thinks he has a shot at McDavid, then he might give up his 1st this year, which could be top-5. I doubt Buffalo moves the 1st overall, but if Gillis offers up the 9th and 25th overall picks, would that be enough to get the 4th or 5th overall pick? That would put the Canucks into the Draisaitl, DalColle mix.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blobby beers, Virtanen is the next coming of David Booth. I'd take Ehlers way ahead of him. Who cares what Dal Colle did tonight. Sestito scored 40 goals in the OHL one year. Larose scored 61 goals one year in the OHL, don't read to much into it. McCann will be a better NHL'er than Dal Colle
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

No...were catching fire just in time to make 14th overall and win the double loser/moral victory award for 2014

Just missing is about as bad as it can possibly get as far as the organization should be concerned.
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Pretty much my thoughts I N . I can see Vancouver picking in the top 10 and hopefully dangling that pick and another pick(s) or prospect(s) in front of either Buffalo, Florida or NYI . As I said I believe the top 3 forwards are top end guys so it would be nice if Gillis could land a top 3 - 4 pick. Maybe the Coilers take Ekblad which would make the 4th pick very interesting.

Teams like Buffalo and the Panthers may value 2 first rounders or a the 9th pick + Gaunce more than a top 4 pick in 2014. Perhaps one of those teams would like Hansen instead of Gaunce. Perhaps Van 1st + Hansen + 3rd rounder ... mayb e a 2nd rounder. I would just like to see the GM go all in on one of those top 3 forwards. I am not quite as sold on Draisatl as the other three but he is an interesting prospect.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:Blobby beers, Virtanen is the next coming of David Booth. I'd take Ehlers way ahead of him. Who cares what Dal Colle did tonight. Sestito scored 40 goals in the OHL one year. Larose scored 61 goals one year in the OHL, don't read to much into it. McCann will be a better NHL'er than Dal Colle

Dal Colle is 17 years old ffs. Tommy scored 40 as a 20 year old on a powerhouse Memorial Cup team. I don't even think you have ever seen MDC play before. BTW how is Milan Gajic doing ? :mex: