Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospects'14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Post by Diehard1 »

ClamRussel wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:Ritchie is much more polished - I don't know who said he was a project like Kass but they are wrong. He's likely not ready for the league yet but that's mostly because he needs work on his conditioning, not his skills as much.

Guess we will see - still Ritchie as my pick assuming the top 5 stay as is, followed by Nylander who is looking very good at the u18s. Ehlers and Virtanen are the next two and there's some distance in my mind.
I said that, usually w/ power forwards like this it takes longer to arrive at their potential than pure skilled forwards. It takes patience for proper development, it's not a criticism. Kassian needed to work on his conditioning as well, his skills were always there. Coaches wanted a more responsible error free game from him which is reasonable. Do you see Ritchie as sound defensively? Can he step in at 20? How effective would he be playing w/ men as a 19 or 20 yr old? What I was getting at was I saw him as a player who might take a few years to hit his stride. Kassian looked pretty damn good in junior as well, he's starting to look like that in the NHL consistently at 23. Most online opinions are based on limited tv or highlight videos. You've seen Ritchie multiple times so you'd have better insight on him than most.

I've seen them both play in junior in person. Different players, Kassian was essentially a skilled goon - fought, went out of his way for big hits, but never seemed to be the best player on his team. You could see how much bigger her was than everybody else on the ice but I wasn't all that enamoured with him. This was in 2010 when he was with the Petes.

Ritchie I've only seen live once, the rest on tv. He makes much more of an impact, to me looks like a guy who carries his team as the best player by a fair margin, but he does it in a skilled way. To me, he's a skilled player who fights where as Kassian was the opposite. Ritchie looks even bigger than Kassian did, an ox on skates. He definitely has more power in his stride than Kassian did at the same age, not sure he will ever be there in top speed given his size but when you're 230 you don't need to have that much top end speed. His acceleration and lateral movement are very good for a guy his size.

As for his defence, I didn't notice it that much mostly because I wasn't paying particular attention to it. He seems to know where to be but like any young player I'm sure he's going to have to work on it. He does seem to coast at times which I think is mostly a conditioning thing, will probably need a year more in junior before he's ready for a shot at the roster. Maybe even a year in the AHL, depends on how his game matures but the talent is definitely there.
olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

RoyalDude wrote:Yeah I'd grab Fleury, we could use some depth on D prospects
That's a good point...
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:Hey paddycakes, if we do that rumoured trade deadline deal with Anaheim, snagging Ottawa's first (10th) who are you taking? With the presumption that Nylander, Virtanen, Ritchie and Ehlers are gone by then?
I like McCann as well. Smart player, good offensively and plays both ways. Also like what I hear about Adrian Kempe, the big forward out of Sweden.

My guess is it's much more likely we obtain a later 1st, perhaps in the 20s, in a potential Kesler trade. If that's the case I like Robby Fabbri, not stop motor and great skills but is small. Same for Kevin Fiala.

It all depends on who the pick is at 6 - a big forward allows you to go many different ways, otherwise you might be picking somebody with size either in the 20s or in the early second round at 36.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Yes to Kempe and yes to McCann. Kempe, like Nylander, apparently is looking pretty good at U-18's. McCann, scored in the last game for Canada.

If it comes down to Ehlers and Nylander if I'm going all in on skill, I'm taking Nylander.

This is a real tough decision, I like Virtanen, the physicality is there but I have concerns for his hockey intellect, puck possession and using his linemates. He seems to like making like David Booth and Taylor Hall when he gets the puck, play without thought and ignore teamates. The game today is all about puck possession and playing well as a unit which takes a fair bit of brains.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Nucks shocked us and selected Nylander.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Mock drafts have been saying nylander all along for Vancouver.. ;)
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I'm hoping for Claude Lemiuexs kid with our 36th or the giant Hunter Smith who is a pretty decent player and scrapper. Smith is Cassels linemate in Oshawa. I'm sure the Canucks scouts have seen a lot of him. Could be like a Tom Wilson type.

With the way Fiala is playing at the U-18s would not surprised to see him go top 15

If the Canucks do a Pens/Kesler trade getting their 1st pick that puts us in Lemiuex, Smith, Fiala territory
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

rats19 wrote:Mock drafts have been saying nylander all along for Vancouver.. ;)
A lot of scouts say he is the most skilled player in this class, Reinhart, Bennett included.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

RoyalDude wrote:
A lot of scouts say he is the most skilled player in this class, Reinhart, Bennett included.
skilled + small + soft + most of his stats playing in 2nd-teir leagues in Sweden = recipe for first-round failure. You look at the playoffs this year and years past, and this kid will get pulverized into the ice before he can think of a dangle. Let him go to Nashville or some place where not much is expected of him or the team.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Lancer wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
skilled + small + soft + most of his stats playing in 2nd-teir leagues in Sweden = recipe for first-round failure. You look at the playoffs this year and years past, and this kid will get pulverized into the ice before he can think of a dangle. Let him go to Nashville or some place where not much is expected of him or the team.
Reports are that Nylander looks like a men amongst boys in his peer group of some of the best U-18's of the world. I'm not advocating taking him, still want Ritchie or Virtanen. Don't kid yourself, there a lot of draft day busts in that big bodied prospect category cause they tend to get overrated while the small skilled guys like Giroux, Read, Gallagher, Desharnaits, Schwartz, Nyqvuist, Tatar get pushed down the list

The Blues, Wings, Flyers and Habs I'm sure would like to thank the scouts of other teams for passing in small skilled players
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I wasn't advocating him either..just reporting the mocks..

Ritchie or Virtanen sound sounder to me too
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

rats19 wrote:I wasn't advocating him either..just reporting the mocks..

Ritchie or Virtanen sound sounder to me too
Tall whites eh?! :lol:

I am fine with Ny the Swede Guy™

The draft is a crap shoot after the first 5 picks right?

Go high skill first, goal scoring ala Sasha and then...

....maybe we trade someone in our lineup for a early 2nd or mid-1st and go big and fast as well...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ISS has Nylander ranked 5th, Draisaitl 6th, Perlini 7th, Tuch 8th, Ritchie 9th, Virtanen 10th, Ehlers 11th, Fleury 12th, Kapanen 13th in their latest April rankings
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:ISS has Nylander ranked 5th, Draisaitl 6th, Perlini 7th, Tuch 8th, Ritchie 9th, Virtanen 10th, Ehlers 11th, Fleury 12th, Kapanen 13th in their latest April rankings
Nylander with a hattrick and 5 points total today against Slovakia. Slovaks aren't great but it's not like they were playing the Danes or Germans. Now tied for the lead in tournament scoring.

If he keeps this up for a few more games and shows well against the better teams he might be in the conversation for the top 5, let alone the #6 that the Nucks have. He's the very definition of a wildcard and is one to watch.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

We only beat the Slovaks 2-1. Man, this kid is making a strong case for himself

The reviews on the tourney have Nylander being the best player along with Eichel. Some scouts are really high on him.

The canuck scouts better be there doing their homework. This is a huge pick for this teams future
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote:I'm hoping for Claude Lemiuexs kid with our 36th or the giant Hunter Smith who is a pretty decent player and scrapper. Smith is Cassels linemate in Oshawa. I'm sure the Canucks scouts have seen a lot of him. Could be like a Tom Wilson type.
Hell yeah, 2nd round potentials..

Fabbri
Fabbri is a below average sized buzz saw who works hard and has some of the best feet in the entire draft. He uses his speed and mobility to be shifty and elusive but is also willing to play physical. His hands are skilled, he shows some creativity on the ice and has a quick shot release.

DeAngelo one of the best offensive dmen in the draft, but if his rumoured attitude makes him drop to the 2nd we should get him, doubt he'll get past the 1st rd though.
“I’m just trying to get better and better and improve every game. But, to be honest, I just want to help the Sting make the playoffs,” he said. “That’s my first goal and then after that I can focus a little bit more on myself: training and getting ready for the combine. But right now my focus is on getting us back into the playoff race.”

And what needs to improve?

“Really, everything, to be honest with you. Anything I can get better at, I will,” he explained. “I spend a lot of time watching video of myself with the coaches to see what I can improve. I like to watch video of other guys and see if there are things that they do that I can include in my game.
hockeysfuture.com/articles/103317/stings-deangelo-focused-on-team-goals-rather-than-nhl-draft/

Brendan Lemieux - 6'1 210lbs
Like father, like son. Brendan, whose father Claude is known as one of the most vilified agitators in NHL history, tries to model his game after that of his dad. Adding some new age play to his dad’s old school style, Lemieux embodies to future of the power forward/agitator. Even Lemieux’s teammate Aaron Ekblad acknowledges his ability to get under peoples skin, saying “as a teammate you love him, but as an opponent you don’t.”

Lemieux is a hardnosed player who keeps his game simple to succeed. He’ll battle in the corners, and doesn’t mind planting himself in front of the net. Whatever he’s doing though, he does it as hard as possible, which just adds to how annoying he can be. He takes pride in getting under opponents skin, but doesn’t let it keep him from making smart plays and playing the game the right way.

This season however, he has also shown his ability to be a points man, showing an increased offensive presence. While he may not be flashy or fancy, his work ethic and his determination to play within himself have helped him excel as a top six guy with the Colts this season. He already has good size, but with continued growth and skill development, the 2nd generation Lemieux could be a force at the NHL level.
propuckprospects.com/2014/03/brendan-lemieux.html#sthash.JAuUr9kG.dpuf

Alex Peters dman - http://www.propuckprospects.com/2014/03 ... hoots.html,

Jack Glover dman -
At 6’3 195lbs, Glover plays like ex-Devil Paul Martin. He plays a very quite game and plays a well rounded two-way game and isn’t afraid to get in your face as much as he can quarterback a powerplay. His best asset is his first pass on the breakout which will help the Devils transition game. - See more at: thehockeywriters.com/2014-nhl-mock-draft-april-edition/#sthash.dXPjjpBA.dpuf
3rd - Reid Duke or Juraj Siska
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.