Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospects'14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Post by Betamax »

This is beyond amazing ... a pic of the Canucks' vaunted Scouting Staff working their magic:

Article on why the Canucks' should aggressively pursue the No. 1 pick,

Who Should Vancouver Draft? Spoiler: It's Sam Reinhart
That's Offside!
June 10 2014 10:38AM

via: http://canucksarmy.com/2014/6/10/who-sh ... m-reinhart

The article makes an argument on why the Canucks should trade their 6th overall and their (alleged) top prospect, Horvat to move up to no. 1 and draft Sam Reinhart by concluding:
Given the average value of the 1st, 6th, and 9th overall picks, as well as how Sam Reinhart compares to his recent peers, Vancouver should absolutely pursue the chance to acquire the 1st overall pick should the opportunity present itself.
Now, who here is now down what that? :mex:
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

I'd love to see them go for it, but they shouldn't give up Horvat, find another way. Strength down the middle is what we see with successful teams. Set up a Reinhart-Horvat 1-2 punch for the next 10 years.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Strangelove wrote:
Arachnid wrote: Tank it Jimbo!™
“This is a team we can turn around quickly.” – Jim Benning

:thumbs:
Thank you for your rainbow-like contribution to the Hockey Talk forum, diversity of peoples is always encouraged even when blind, deaf & wrong...you remind of a young GM we once had....failed to peak & imploded before his time and now tries too hard to relive the past...now unemployed :cry:

Give your wife a big kiss from me...from Camp Luther ;)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Boston Canucker wrote:I'd love to see them go for it, but they shouldn't give up Horvat, find another way. Strength down the middle is what we see with successful teams. Set up a Reinhart-Horvat 1-2 punch for the next 10 years.
Yeah, I see your point. But it really comes down to what GMJB sees in Horvat. Is he a likely 3rd liner (in the Manny Malhotra mold) or will he develop into the next Bergeron. If he sees the former, than boom outta here. But the other way, is leveraging the asset(s) they get from the Kesler trade and the 6th to move up. So obviously the first domino to fall might be if we see Kesler trade before the draft ...... :mex:
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Boston Canucker wrote:I'd love to see them go for it, but they shouldn't give up Horvat, find another way. Strength down the middle is what we see with successful teams. Set up a Reinhart-Horvat 1-2 punch for the next 10 years.
So true, almost worked with your 2011 team with Hank-Kes. LapDawg did a great job in the #3 spot during that run, but a healthy Manny would of helped big time vs the Bs.

Arachnid wrote:Give your wife a big kiss from me...from Camp Luther ;)
Hey, I have been there, nice lil place. :)
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Since the Canucks are taking forwards for the first two picks, our 3rd rounder has got to be a dman.

Jonathan MacLeod
The Bruins Johnny Boychuk would probably be pleased to know that he is now a role model for young NHL hopefuls, a prototype for a certain type of defenseman: big, physical, mean, strong in his own end and capable of a monster slap shot.
That just about nails the common description of Dracut’s Johnathan MacLeod, the Boston University-bound defender who is expected to be selected fairly early in the NHL draft later this month. He was rated the 44th-best North American skater by Central Scouting.
Phil Baltisberger
This Swiss import is a real stabilizing defensive force who uses his size, shows a penchant for playing physical and getting his frame in the lane to block shots and passes. This minute muncher will likely never be a point producer at higher levels.
Dominik Masin
Masin had a coming out party at the U-18's with the Czech team. Not only was he the captain, but one of their top players. Solid size, good first pass and a mean streak characterize Masin.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

herb wrote:^ Mark Spector on Twitter.
'Nuff said
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Arachnid wrote:Give your wife a big kiss from me...from Camp Luther ;)
Hey, I have been there, nice lil place. :)
Same. 8-) ball hockey purposes
SKYO wrote:Since the Canucks are taking forwards for the first two picks, our 3rd rounder has got to be a dman
You take the best player available, period. These guys won't be ready for yrs & a lot can change between now & then.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

All in on Virtanen at 6

Future kid line (THIS SEASON) yes they will make the team - Virtanen - Horvat - Shinkaruk

That will bring the feel good vibes back to Rogers Arena

Draft hunter smith in the 2nd round
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:All in on Virtanen at 6

Future kid line (THIS SEASON) yes they will make the team - Virtanen - Horvat - Shinkaruk
lol a couple kids coming off surgery jumping straight to the NHL? Colour me doubtful.

I think Horvat makes it, and I think Shinkaruk is better suited starting in the AHL. Having a true offensive call-up would be fantastic when the inevitable top-6 injuries occur.

I wouldn't be upset with Virtanen at 6, but I could be convinced to draft Ritchie and Nylander also. It's pretty wide open after the consensus top-5.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Benning need to get Reinhart without giving up BoHo. It can be done.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:All in on Virtanen at 6

lol a couple kids coming off surgery jumping straight to the NHL? Colour me doubtful.

I think Horvat makes it, and I think Shinkaruk is better suited starting in the AHL. Having a true offensive call-up would be fantastic when the inevitable top-6 injuries occur.

I wouldn't be upset with Virtanen at 6, but I could be convinced to draft Ritchie and Nylander also. It's pretty wide open after the consensus top-5.
Yeah it's of those 3 - Virtanen, Ritchie or Nylander.

Saw an interview of Ritchie at the combine. He looks like a giant version of Tootoo. Looks tough as nails, says Lucic is his idol. Hmmm, I'd be very happy if we get him at 6. A one two punch of him and Kassian? Look out L.A. Then draft Hunter Smith in the 2nd. Apparently Smith and Ritchie had a pretty good scrap this year. If we can't beat them with skill we at least become a team nobody likes to play
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

RoyalDude wrote: Virtanen - Horvat - Shinkaruk
Sedin-Sedin-Jensen
Higgins-Kesler-Mattias
Virtanen - Horvat - Shinkaruk
Hansen-Santorelli-Sestito
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Topper wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: Virtanen - Horvat - Shinkaruk
Sedin-Sedin-Jensen
Higgins-Kesler-Mattias
Virtanen - Horvat - Shinkaruk
Hansen-Santorelli-Sestito
I think the days of the helicopter line playing for the Canucks are OVER. :mex:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Higgins on the 2nd line. The horror, the horror, the horror. Not to mention fellow Tweener - Matthias
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Island Nucklehead wrote:I think Horvat makes it, and I think Shinkaruk is better suited starting in the AHL. Having a true offensive call-up would be fantastic when the inevitable top-6 injuries occur.
Does he not need to be returned to jr, as he will only be 19 when the season begins? He does turn 20 shortly after though.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy