Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospects'14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Re: Welcome to the Dark Side Minions: The Top Draft Prospect

Post by Carl Yagro »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Betamax wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:Well, with Carolina's shootout victory today (after blowing several leads) it looks like we have the 6 spot in the draft (depending on the lottery of course). So thats very exciting actually, I like the potential of a top 6 prospect in this year's draft as opposed to going on a hot streak and landing the 11th or 12th pick. Gives potential to move up or snag any of those top prospects who are left at that point. It will be very promising to add another blue chip player to our current crop in the system.
I read ya ... Now a Canucks' fan could cheer for the Canucks to actually win their final game against the Flames without any potential negative consequences, since they've secured the sixth worst record this season.

How good or bad is that? :twisted:

I'll be watching and pumped for them to win one for Markstrom, Quinn, and Trevor!!!
I am so torn. On the one hand it would be nice to see the odds increase for a win for Pat and Trev, by scratching Edler. On the other hand Edler should play because he deserves to win the league minus title outright!
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hank wrote: I am so torn. On the one hand it would be nice to see the odds increase for a win for Pat and Trev, by scratching Edler. On the other hand Edler should play because he deserves to win the league minus title outright!
TORN AND TWISTED!! :crazy:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

ClamRussel wrote:Well, with Carolina's shootout victory today (after blowing several leads) it looks like we have the 6 spot in the draft (depending on the lottery of course). So thats very exciting actually, I like the potential of a top 6 prospect in this year's draft as opposed to going on a hot streak and landing the 11th or 12th pick. Gives potential to move up or snag any of those top prospects who are left at that point. It will be very promising to add another blue chip player to our current crop in the system.
Yep, will likely pick 6th, with about a 15% chance a 7th and a 6% chance at 1st. Can't pick anywhere else. As rough as this season has been I'm ecstatic about this, at least a very good young player will be brought into the fold to somewhat make up for it. This also means picking 36th and 66th. At 36th there should be a player similar in ranking to Jensen available - remember he was the 29th pick - so will improve the stock of kids even more.

I can honestly say if Trevor allows the new GM to trade a guy like Horvat plus the pick for Evander Kane I will be pissed, even though I really like Kane. Can't trade kids when you're a team like this. Now, if you want to trade Kesler and Edler for younger pieces, then use some of those pieces to get Kane I'm ok with that, but the team is nowhere near deep enough in prospects yet to trade for a player like Kane, especially since he's a winger and centres are needed much more.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Good on the Canucks for not pulling a Calgary - heck, Calgary didn't even pull a Calgary this year - by getting hot at the end and screwing up the pick. The 6 spot, probably, should garner a good player. I can live with some mediocrity if the kids are playing, learning, and getting better. Now, next up, someone drive Torts to the airport, or to Pt. Roberts with instructions to stay on that side of the border, or whatever.

And then let's get on to the planning for 14-15...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Hrrrm...

Do you think, because Prez Trev™ loves his former Capatain Markus they might go off the board and go Euro strong?
Dynamic scorers Nylander from MoDo or even Kapanen from Finland?

I hope not but me thinks it is a strong possibility no?!

BTW Strangelove...you lost the bet...we pick 6th :D
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

Boston Canucker wrote:Good on the Canucks for not pulling a Calgary - heck, Calgary didn't even pull a Calgary this year - by getting hot at the end and screwing up the pick.
You know it was a bad season when this is one of the few things they did right this year.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Sixth is a good spot to be in, at least it is for a team that's been all but assured to be outside the top five anyway.

All we need is for one GM to fall in love with a goal scoring behemoth like Ritchie, or a speed demon putting up gaudy stats in the Q like Ehlers, and we can likely nab Dal Colle or Draisatl.

I do not spend my time watching junior games but I have a bit of a soft spot for Draisatl, some of the things people say about his upside are pretty tantalizing and a big (already over 200 lbs) centre with offensive ability is always useful particularly in our division. I don't know if he's close to ready for the professional level but he's got the size and adding another player who could step into the lineup in the next two seasons would be a major coup.

But really, anyone dropping out of the top five would be great news, and a worst case scenario of choosing between the rest of the field isn't too shabby either.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Any chance that our #1 pick plays for the team next season with one of the 1st rounders from last season?

I guess it depends on what happens to Kesler or the return we get for him.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

dbr wrote:All we need is for one GM to fall in love with a goal scoring behemoth like Ritchie, or a speed demon putting up gaudy stats in the Q like Ehlers, and we can likely nab Dal Colle or Draisatl.

I do not spend my time watching junior games but I have a bit of a soft spot for Draisatl, some of the things people say about his upside are pretty tantalizing and a big (already over 200 lbs) centre with offensive ability is always useful particularly in our division. I don't know if he's close to ready for the professional level but he's got the size and adding another player who could step into the lineup in the next two seasons would be a major coup.
Dunno about Draisatl. One comment I've heard against the kid is he likes to slow the play down, but only operates at that speed. That says to me that while he is able to do that in the Dub, it's something he likely won't be able to do in the big league.

Ehlers is intriguing, though I haven't watched nearly enough of him to figure whether his success is due to his teammates, the league or his own abilities. He's another Dane, though and this organization just can't seem to get enough of them. :roll:

For my money, you can't go wrong with a guy like Ritchie, Dal Colle or Virtanen - guys with size who can score.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Arachnid wrote: BTW Strangelove...you lost the bet...we pick 6th :D
What bet? :?

Betting odds right now...

Odds of your Vancouver Canucks ending up with the #1 overall pick: 6%

Odds of your Vancouver Canucks ending up with the #6 overall pick: 76%

Odds of your Vancouver Canucks ending up with the #7 overall pick: 17%

As an aside, if your Vancouver Canucks had won just 3 more games, they would be sitting at #13 atm! :wow:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I'm still trying to decide which is better.

Losing Cory for a number 8 pick?

or

Losing a season for a number 6* pick?

It's been so long since we've had a year like this that it's almost surreal that we're looking at a number 6 pick. With the Schneider trade, it's made me realize just how valuable this pick is.

Do we trade this year's pick for a goalie?

I'm kinda at a loss here....
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Which goalies are available on the UFA market? I think as HW said, just get a decent veteran back up for Lack.

I say keep it, we need to get more young forwards into our system. That being said, I still can't believe that we only got the 8th overall pick for Schneider. But that is water under the bridge now.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Strangelove wrote:
Arachnid wrote: BTW Strangelove...you lost the bet...we pick 6th :D
What bet? :?

Betting odds right now...

Odds of your Vancouver Canucks ending up with the #1 overall pick: 6%

Odds of your Vancouver Canucks ending up with the #6 overall pick: 76%

Odds of your Vancouver Canucks ending up with the #7 overall pick: 17%

As an aside, if your Vancouver Canucks had won just 3 more games, they would be sitting at #13 atm! :wow:
Archive it Milli Vanilli :P

Heh, 3 more games, meansfuckallnow....

Corn is correct a 6th, 7th or 1st means something to this team and at least we can cheer for that if we can't cheer for a playoff team....
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Lancer wrote:
dbr wrote:All we need is for one GM to fall in love with a goal scoring behemoth like Ritchie, or a speed demon putting up gaudy stats in the Q like Ehlers, and we can likely nab Dal Colle or Draisatl.

Dunno about Draisatl. One comment I've heard against the kid is he likes to slow the play down, but only operates at that speed. That says to me that while he is able to do that in the Dub, it's something he likely won't be able to do in the big league.
Yeah fair enough. I guess it's not exactly objective for me to look at his size and skill and assume he'll be ready earlier when people talk about his skating needing considerable improvement and his pace which you pointed out.

I guess I just think his top end potential is too good to pass up at #6, and if he and Horvat pan out they are a pair of centres you could win a cup with.

If we could get a top end centre in this draft and add that player to Horvat, Gaunce, Cassels, Fox if he stays at that position, Lain.. you can maybe get a full complement of centres out of that group (or at least enough to complete the group with a single UFA or trade acquisition). How nice would it be to have arguably the most important position all sewn up for the next decade.

At our position though, in all likelihood Draisatl, Bennet and Reinhart are gone, Nylander ends up a winger and guys like McCann are major reaches.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

dbr wrote:At our position though, in all likelihood Draisatl, Bennet and Reinhart are gone, Nylander ends up a winger and guys like McCann are major reaches.
Yup, I'm guessing at 6th it'll be out of Nylander, Ritchie or Ehlers.

I used to be pro Ritchie but the more I read up on WN, the more I like William Nylander C/RW...(rh)

Hashtag/Nickname: #TheWizard. #SonOfSwedishGretz
Eldon MacDonald, THW: A few words on William Nylander:

All the skills – Many say, William is the most skilled player in the draft. Dynamic, quick, agile, great hands, great passes, always changing the pace of play, can accelerate out of the blocks.

Wizard level creativity – William has the vision and creativity to augment his physical skills to make himself an offensive wizard at times.

- See more at: http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-draft-w ... cqd17.dpuf
futureconsiderations.ca/nylander-has-tools-to-follow-fathers-lead/
“He is really something special. He’s a player that can combine all the necessary offensive tools to be effective – and at such an early stage of his career, the sky is the limit,” said Future Considerations’ scout Patrik Hall. “His shot, vision, creativity and general puck skills makes his game in the attacking zone so lethal, he can hurt you in so many different ways. These will all be invaluable assets for him when he makes in pro league debut this fall for Rogle.”

The 17-year-old spent the majority of last season tearing up Sweden’s SuperElit league, finishing with 15 goals and 43 points in 27 games. He also saw eight games of action in the Allsvenskan where he put up four goals and six points during his stay. Nylander’s elite hockey IQ and instincts allow him to combine and utilize all his offensive tools effectively and efficiently, attacking the opposition with a variety of methods – keeping defensive systems off balance. While his passing ability is tremendous, he rarely forces passes and instead turns to his equally lethal shot to finish off plays.

Nylander is expected to make his SHL debut next season and while his offensive skills are certainly up to par for the transition, his effort and play on the defensive side of the puck has come into a question a bit.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.